Gibson Brands Forums

What model J45 is this?

SC_Wannabe

Weird inlays. MOP florets. 1990s? I think that model has rosewood back and sides... Also I see an orange label, which makes me think limited run... 50 guitars etc.

Similar picture with more ornate binding here: http://hubpages.com/...merican-Classic

If the action is good and neck straight, I think it's certainly worth a shot through GC, with their liberal return policy. I bet it sounds great. Try $1,450?

Never seen a J45 with that kind of inlay, but I think GC checks-out things fairly well before they buy a "used" instrument. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Gibson did make a special run of a few dozen special models like this. The inlay looks a little different, but everything else looks "J45." Offer them less money if you're interested. If they're asking around 1500, then they only gave somewhere in the neighborhood of 675-725, give-or-take a few dollars. They've always got money to play with on "used" guitars. And don't believe it when the sales dude/dudette says they can't take anything off a "used" guitar.

It's a J-45 Rosewood. The first year production 1999. I have one. If I had to sell all my guitars and only keep one, it would be that one.

Nice. I'm not in the market for one of these, but someone will get a nice guitar for a decent price.

Regarding the description saying "mahogany", I think the that is just the stock Gibson write-up for a J45 standard they pasted in there.

Archived