Gibson Brands Forums

Let's Go Fishin'!!!

Buc McMaster

Those must've both put up quite a fight.

Well needless to say the jack was the bruiser of the two. We had to chase him with the boat to avoid getting spooled by his major league runs. But being belly deep in the water doing battle with a nice speck is my preferred style of fishing. There were four of us out off the boat that day, slogging along in ankle deep mud, 40-50 yards apart working a large flat. In the winter the trout will lay on dark mud that absorbs heat from the sun. The bigger of them will only eat every two or three days, their metabolism slowed by the cool water. It's a great way to spend a day!

And yes, most fish are released, though once in awhile I'll bring a couple home for the fry pan.

Got to love those fishing pictures. Relaxing times out on the lake. Sometime in the not-to-distant future I've got to go saltwater fishing. We spend a lot of our vacation time near beaches, but I've never fished in the ocean. Spend quite-a-bit of time on our son's pontoon boat here at home, fishing for bluegill...lol...A good-sized bluegill can make you think you've got Moby **** on the line, but it's still just a pan fish........Buc, that "jack" is as big as you are. How long did it take you to get him reeled-in?

Buc, that "jack" is as big as you are. How long did it take you to get him reeled-in?

About 35 minutes or so. He'd run a ways, stop and just pull, then run off again with us in pursuit in the boat. Landed him on 10# line and a small, inshore size rod/reel combo. See that back mark across his side, and few lighter ones to the right? That's where my line rub him as he fought.......the line was badly frayed and would not likely have lasted much longer. Pulled him out of a school of perhaps 40 of them, cruising at the surface midday. The guide estimated him at about 35#..........bulldog!

Now I don't know much about fishing, but Buc, do you have to change to a different jacket every time you catch a fish?

I once went deep water fishing and caught 14-pound salmon. All I could think of when I was trying to land it was "How do people catch a marlin?"

hemingway-and-marlin.jpg

(Me and my salmon.)

Now, that jack you caught, did they have to strap you in to land it?

Archived