Gibson Brands Forums

looking for verification: 1983 "The Paul"

Hi! I’ve had this guitar for a number of years and, frankly, it’s just been gathering dust. I thought I’d dig into figuring out what it is and I’ve got myself running in circles.

Clearly, the body makes it a “The Paul” of some sort… I’m confused by the fact that a) the serial number (81403517) has it built in May ’83, even though my understanding is that production was stopped in ’82 and B) the fact that it’s black; can’t find any reference to black The Pauls and I think this is an original paint job, as the neck is also black.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/b0py8

Hi! I’ve had this guitar for a number of years and, frankly, it’s just been gathering dust. I thought I’d dig into figuring out what it is and I’ve got myself running in circles.

Clearly, the body makes it a “The Paul” of some sort… I’m confused by the fact that a) the serial number (81403517) has it built in May ’83, even though my understanding is that production was stopped in ’82 and B) the fact that it’s black; can’t find any reference to black The Pauls and I think this is an original paint job, as the neck is also black.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/b0py8

With the bolt neck I would guess Marauder or Sonex as they were the only ones that I recall with bolt necks. Pretty sure both were made late 70's to early 80's. One of the other knowledgeable forumites will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't recall them well enough to msay which one this is for sure.

Johnny

With the bolt neck I would guess Marauder or Sonex as they were the only ones that I recall with bolt necks. Pretty sure both were made late 70's to early 80's. One of the other knowledgeable forumites will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't recall them well enough to msay which one this is for sure.

Johnny

Johnny:

Thanks for the feedback! Interesting point about the bolt-on neck; I hadn't noticed that "The Pauls" were set necks. Having said that, the body, controls and pickup config look exactly like a "The Paul," whereas the guitar I have doesn't really look like either the Marauder or Sonex (neither of which I'd even HEARD of before!).

Wonder if it's possible that what I've got is some sort of prototype...

It's a Gibson Invader.

Gibson made several bolt ons between the mid 70s and the mid 80s, the Corvus, Sonex, Challenger, Invader, S-1 and Marauder. I may have forgotten one or two even. The Invader was the only one to my knowledge to have typical Gibson pickup routing and rear routing for the controls...that is to say, the others were all top routed and covered with a big pickguard.

It's a Gibson Invader.

Gibson made several bolt ons between the mid 70s and the mid 80s, the Corvus, Sonex, Challenger, Invader, S-1 and Marauder. I may have forgotten one or two even. The Invader was the only one to my knowledge to have typical Gibson pickup routing and rear routing for the controls...that is to say, the others were all top routed and covered with a big pickguard.

Thanks KS, I hadn't realized they did so many bolt on's during that time period.

Yes, and some would put them down because they're not traditional G construction. Fair enough. I've done that too sometimes. But I've really liked any one that I've had in my hands. Just overall good no frills guitars is all.

They even had SOME bolt on L6S models too, but I'm not sure of it's model designation....might have been what was known as the "Midnight Special" as opposed to Custom or Deluxe.

And of course the Victory series. I have an '81 Victory Bass that literally weighs 12 lbs and it sounds like Godzilla pooping jalapenos.

Yes, and some would put them down because they're not traditional G construction. Fair enough. I've done that too sometimes. But I've really liked any one that I've had in my hands. Just overall good no frills guitars is all.

They even had SOME bolt on L6S models too, but I'm not sure of it's model designation....might have been what was known as the "Midnight Special" as opposed to Custom or Deluxe.

And of course the Victory series. I have an '81 Victory Bass that literally weighs 12 lbs and it sounds like Godzilla pooping jalapenos.

I recall the Victory series, the L6S really surprises me, I'd have never guessed any of those were bolt. You really are a wealth of knowledge.

Sounds like a pretty aggressive bass you've got :)

I'm a firm believer that a good guitar is where you find it regardless of construction or the name on the headstock. Even if some of them need a little TLC to get there.

Johnny

Archived