Gibson Brands Forums

es 12 string

sheraton

Right ES 335 - 12 string. Mfg in 2013

Came with Gibson nickel wound strings. Replaced one at a time with Ernie Ball "Light". As follows: 9-9, 12-12, 20w-9p, 26w-12p, 36w-20p, 46w-26p. The main problem was that the tuning machines were loose. After removing a string and prior to replacement I tightened the hex holding the tuner into the head stock. That removed most of the disgusting noise. Had a difficult time tightening a 9 g string and replaced with an 11. Adjusted the truss rod and raised the action.

Still has an odd sound. Not a BIG 335 but a BIG NOISY something else. [thumbdn]

Next try will be Ernie Ball 8's.

By the way, that's me and my dog PAWS in front of the worlds largest ball of twine in CAWKER CITY, KANSAS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When it's strung up and tuned EADGBe the string tension is just too much to work with. If it had .050 JUMBO frets it might be more comfortable.

Had similar problem with mine, after much trial and error it is now with D'Addario EXL 150s 10-46s which have lighter octave strings than the Ernie Balls so a bit more comfortable. Still has a pretty dark sound for an electric 12 string though.

I have 2 other electric 12 strings - an Italia which is very jangly, the top half of an EDS- 1275 which is full and raucous, and the 335-12 which is kinda dark. It's good in alt tunings like DADGAD, Drop D or even just tuned as standard but a tone down, in D.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an SG 12-string and I use D'Addario EXL150's. I like them a lot, but the #8, high G sting just doesn't survive very long with standard tuning. I tune it down 1/2 step and capo up, and I don't have a problem.

BTW, I have been told, but I don't know that it's a fact, that D'Addario makes Gibson strings, so the Gibson brand is exactly the same string as D'Addario.

Archived