Gibson Brands Forums

2016 SG T Blackout Suggestions Needed

Chicago Jeff

Hey all,

First time SG owner and forum poster. Thanks for having me :-)

I just ordered a 2016 SG Special T in cherry and have a feeling I'm going to want to change out the chrome pieces for black (just my thing).

Does anybody have suggestions for black tuners, nut, pickup covers, knobs, bridge, tailpiece, pickguard screws, strap buttons and jack?

I'm looking for quality pieces, not just looks.

Thanks in advance! I can't wait until I'm playing this beauty.

Welcome! I used this "Blueing" liquid at a machine shop{ CNC vertical mills} I worked at a few yrs ago,, turned metal black,almost annodized,,very corrosive stuff though,be carefull,wear gloves! Cant remember what its called,,you can get it at places like production tool supply and the like. You would probably have to strip down pcs to bare metal first. Or do the far the more affordable way. Watch an episode of "RED Green" and tape it all off,,and spray Flt Blk w / can of dollar store spray paint. And then a few coats of clear coat after the Flt Blk dries for a few days. Or purchase some replacements for everything. I was going to ask Gibson Custom what it would cost to have a SG Supreme,,Ocean Blue,,with all black hardware..and a Blk Floyd rose on it. Any at Gibson reading this,,an approx price range for that would be good info. Good luck with yours!

... the more affordable way. Watch an episode of "RED Green" and tape it all off,,and spray Flt Blk w / can of dollar store spray paint. And then a few coats of clear coat after the Flt Blk dries for a few days...

Red Green is awesome! That's about what he would suggest.

If the ladies don't find you handsome, at least let'em find you handy.

You should better look for Gibson SG Gothic, or SG Voodoo .

I' m not sure that black hardware on a natural finish will match .

Ummmm the OP stated its Cherry finish which I think would look great with black accents.

Stewmac carries a wide variety of hard ware by different manufactures and you should be able to compare by side by ticking boxes.

Johnny

Bingo!

What all did you use to get that look?

Pretty sure that's not his, he has a habit of posting random pics in threads.

Back to your question as I just did a stewmac search and was surprised to find an overall lack of black hardware and parts there.

I put black hard ware on one of my Epi LP's from these guys

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-Style-Bridges_c_36.html

And I've never had any issues with any of it. They also have the imperial sizing for Gibbie's available rather than the metric used by Epi.

If you browse through the rest of the site you'll find all the other components you're looking for.

Good luck

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure that's not his, he has a habit of posting random pics in threads.

Back to your question as I just did a stewmac search and was surprised to find an overall lack of black hardware and parts there.

I put black hard ware on one of my Epi LP's from these guys

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-Style-Bridges_c_36.html

And I've never had any issues with any of it. They also have the imperial sizing for Gibbie's available rather than the metric used by Epi.

If you browse through the rest of the site you'll find all the other components you're looking for.

Good luck

Johnny

I did the same for an LP Jr. Black wraparound bridge, keystone tuners, and black telecaster knobs from GFS. Maybe cost $40 total. It looked pretty cool and played better than when it was stock.

Archived