Gibson Brands Forums

CUSTOM SHOP CLASS 5

hoross

Well after playing 26 years guitars it was time for me to make a big step and get a custom shop i could even try an R8 reissue which was great but the neck was really heavy altough the sound was incredible great not a standard and not a traditional can get that sound of it.Now i tried the les paul class 5 which i know here on the board many people hate but believe me the neck is a 60s neck and very thin and amazing it combines a bit the standard and traditional with of course custom made material.So ive decided to take the class 5 and really it has nothing to do in quality and sound with a traditional or standard and its a plaintop dirty lemon.I put the guitar aside and will get it in 2 weeks i will post some pics when i get,yes finally a custom shop les paul ;)

Well after playing 26 years guitars it was time for me to make a big step and get a custom shop i could even try an R8 reissue which was great but the neck was really heavy altough the sound was incredible great not a standard and not a traditional can get that sound of it.Now i tried the les paul class 5 which i know here on the board many people hate but believe me the neck is a 60s neck and very thin and amazing it combines a bit the standard and traditional with of course custom made material.So ive decided to take the class 5 and really it has nothing to do in quality and sound with a traditional or standard and its a plaintop dirty lemon.I put the guitar aside and will get it in 2 weeks i will post some pics when i get,yes finally a custom shop les paul ;)

Nice!

Did you get the Bourbon Burst?

What happened to your 16 Honey-Standard?

Did you post pics of that one, I may have missed it?

yes i sold my lp standard if u want i still have the pics can send them no problem by the way im still hesitating with the R8 and the les paul class 5,i put the class 5 aside but the guy at the guitarshop told me i can still change my mind its maybe 70 dollars difference between the 2 but hell i really dont know what to do right now.I wanted to buy a custom shop after 26 years of playing and keep that one but i tested both R8 and class 5,the only thing which is better on the class 5 is the weight for the rest they almost sound the same :( hmmm i really need help on that one...

Wow... hoross, you have certainly been on a journey recently haven't you with all these different guitars....

Been kinda interesting to watch.. if not a little odd sometimes ;) :)

I hope you find what you are looking for in the end...

And yes if you want a slimmer neck try an R0 as suggested

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Custom/Standard-Historic-1960-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

yes i sold my lp standard if u want i still have the pics can send them no problem by the way im still hesitating with the R8 and the les paul class 5,i put the class 5 aside but the guy at the guitarshop told me i can still change my mind its maybe 70 dollars difference between the 2 but hell i really dont know what to do right now.I wanted to buy a custom shop after 26 years of playing and keep that one but i tested both R8 and class 5,the only thing which is better on the class 5 is the weight for the rest they almost sound the same :( hmmm i really need help on that one...

You buy and sell like crazy huh?

If I were you....and thank the good lord i'm not....a little too manic and flighty.....i'd get the one that feels right.

never heard of the R0 and i checked but they dont have,very difficult choice to make altough i think in the end the R8 will be worth more then the class 5 and will have the more 70s and 80s classic sound ....but i still dig the class 5 too....wish i was rich lol i would take both hahahha

never heard of the R0 and i checked but they dont have,very difficult choice to make altough i think in the end the R8 will be worth more then the class 5 and will have the more 70s and 80s classic sound ....but i still dig the class 5 too....wish i was rich lol i would take both hahahha

Considering your modus operandi regarding Les Paul's, I would take the one that holds value best. With your 26 years of experience in a few weeks you will probably notice that it is just another guitar, get bored and sell it to buy an even more expensive one. Maybe a True Historic? And so on until you find a REAL vintage Les Paul....and then....who knows

Unfortunately Mr Jones, I'm notHoross has changed guitars more than some people change their shorts.

To me he's like looking for the end of the rain bow.

It will be a matter of weeks before he tells us the Class 5 has moved on.

Am I the only one curious about wich one he bought in the end?

R8 or C5, man this is exciting!!!

Well I would consider myself pretty much a guitar-greenhorn, that's the reason I find this SOOO interesting.

I mean, I don't know $hit about Les Paul's for me the all feel and sound more or less like a mahogany slab with maple top and some humbuckers.

I think Hoross with his vast experience can feel and hear the delicate nuances between different LP models. I think he knows tone. How else could he know that an R8 has more of a 70's/80's voicing compared to the Class 5. Lot of stuff to learn for newbies like me.

I think, the hunt for amps instead of trying out the very same guitar model over and over again, will bring satisfying results quicker.

I am not a brilliant guitar player at all, but I can make my Les Paul sound like Mr. Kossoff's, or Mr. Meniketti's, if I want. All matter of amp and effect settings.

Bence.

Thank you Mr C.O.Jones for being curious.Even tough i play 26 years guitar im not a professional like Slash or Tracii Guns or Steve Stevens or Joe Perry u name it.

However after playing 26 years guitar i could feel the big difference of a custom shop guitar compared to a les paul standard or traditional i dont say they are bad they are briliant if i was rich i would had kept all my guitars altough i want this time a real good one that could stay with me for many many years and i think the custom shop is the answer.Now yes i took the R8 i need to wait for the colour ICE TEA a few weeks they didnt had others in stock.I still dig the lp class 5 you can really compare it to a higher level then a standard with custom shop quality.But like i said my music is more 70s and 80s sound like Zeppelin,Kiss,GNR,LA Guns,Motley Crue etc,,,,so an R8 is one of the best for me.When i receive the guitar i will post pics and maybe even sounds.

Well I would consider myself pretty much a guitar-greenhorn, that's the reason I find this SOOO interesting.

I mean, I don't know $hit about Les Paul's for me the all feel and sound more or less like a mahogany slab with maple top and some humbuckers.

I think Hoross with his vast experience can feel and hear the delicate nuances between different LP models. I think he knows tone. How else could he know that an R8 has more of a 70's/80's voicing compared to the Class 5. Lot of stuff to learn for newbies like me.

[biggrin] Well, I have five of them and an Epiphone. They are quite different in build and materials, but they all have a mahogany body with a maple top and humbuckers in common. What should I say - they all DO sound like a mahogany slab with maple top and some humbuckers! Seriously. I'm not kidding here! B)

By the way, my Ibanez Artist made in China featuring same basic properties does that, too.

Delicate nuances sum up to quite noticeable differences though. Neck and fretboard materials, neck profile, neck tenon, mass, weight reliefs if applicable, pickups, bridge and string suspension all contribute here. Then there also are mahogany-topped LPs or double-cuts.

If someone wants to bring out subtle differences like I do, using very bright strings supports that.

Distorting sounds with an amp severely deteriorating the guitar output is a completely different story. What a guitar delivers through a full-range acoustic amp is what counts for me. If this is fine, and the pickups are free of microphonics, anything from clean to high-gain will be fine, too. Ah yes, I love noiseless pickups and avoid "true" single coils whenever possible.

hoross...why did you get rid of your 2016 Standard after you wrote this about it last month? (see below) Plus, you never posted pics? As they say, pics or it didn't happen! No offense, but I find your posts a little bit suspect/ odd [confused] Best of luck with the new guitar anyway.

Ok just received yesterday morning my new Gibby lp standard 2016 t in honeyburst.

I agree about the comments of people that this guitar is awesome,really hands down better then the 2015 sprint run model.

Seems the finishes of the Woods,frets,burstbucker pros are awesome.

Really i think its the best guitars ive owned since the 2008 Gibson les paul classic antique,plays like a dream i love the vintage look on it glad i didnt

take the hp model.

Yes i dont regret a second about the guitar i will try post pics of it but like usual i got issues here to post like usual :(

But once i found out i will i promise.

Now lets wait for the 2017 models looking forward to that :)

ONCE more yes i had the les paul standard 2016 t if you dont believe me you dont have to but i proved it already in the past that every guitar i had was there on pictures over here.Now i never said the standard 2016 t was bad or the 2015 traditionals were bad they were really great guitars and like i said if i was rich i would had kept them for sure but now after playing 26 years guitar i really wanted something up the rolls royce of guitars which is the custom shop so now that i can afford that im gonna buy it....and yes i will have the R8 and i will try again the class 5 u never know but it will be one of the 2 for sure .

Archived