Gibson Brands Forums

The Aging of the Strings

Buc McMaster

Okay, seems we endlessly discuss what strings we prefer and why, but I don't hear much talk of the tone of aging strings. The 4-5 day old set that doesn't have the sizzle of new but retains great projection, sustain and life in the tone........likely the preferred age of many. Most sets (uncoated, of course) begin to lose those characteristics within 2-6 weeks, depending on how many hours are spent poking them. Then there's those that have lost the shine and zing, gotten perhaps a bit funky colored and, by many's definition, dead. Not much sustain and punch anymore. But some love that dead, dry thump that can only be heard on an old low E on a Gibson acoustic guitar, changing strings with heightened anxieties.

So where are you on this? New, middle aged or senile? Does it vary from one guitar to another? How long does it take you to get to your happy place with tone, or do you like them brand spanking new?

Senile!!!

Country Blues picking sounds ridiculous on new strings. [mellow]

I was making lots of work for myself, changing strings TOO often. Modern times.

But.......I just played my L-0 with Elixirs at least a year old and to me, they still have the 5 day growth you talked about. Sounds so good, the next set might be used.

BluesKing777.

I use Martin SP 80/20 Bronze strings. They aren't all that bright when they are new and after a couple of weeks pretty much level off to a good sound that lasts at least three or more months. I change them usually at about the 6 month point. I find if I don't use bright sounding strings from the onset (like Phospher Bronze strings) I don't notice that much change in them after they are worked in...plus, I like the darker sound of 80/20 bronze strings on my guitars.

I should note that on my Regal square neck slide resonator guitar, I haven't changed its strings in years. Old strings just sound better on a slide guitar. Same thing with my 5 string banjo. I have't changed strings in years...it just sounds better with old strings. (I have heard many slide guitarists, including Blues King, say the same thing about slide playing and I've heard many 5 string banjoists like myself also say the same thing.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I'm probably the odd ball on this, but so long as my guitar is sounding good to my ears I don't pay much attention to the age of the strings or if the tone has changed. They probably do settle-in after a few days, but I don't really know. Unless one breaks on me, chances are they'll be on for several months, maybe a year.

I'm a lazy guitarist.I just changed strings on my J-45 last week.I think they'd been on for 2 years probably.I think they may have been Sunbeams and I changed to Gibson Masterbilt.

I usually get comments that the guitar sounds pretty good when I post.Although EuroAussie has commented on lack of sustain.That's probably a reflection on the length of time between changes.

Gibsons are very forgiving with old strings to my ears.

I've also never changed pins, nuts or saddles.Or done my own oil change :mellow: .Some people are very good tinkerers..me not so much.

I think a lot of this has to do with a persons individual chemistry, the oils in their hands and stuff like that.

My skin is pretty dry, so I don't think I gunk up strings to badly, so I tend to get a lot of time out of them.

I can get about 6 to 8 weeks out of the masterbuilts on my J200. If I use Elixrs, I can get 6 to 7 months out of them.

I know a few guys that I've worked with in the past that go thru strings like paper towels, and I Can feel the "yuck" the second I pick up their instruments.

I typically change strings every ~2 weeks - I play daily for at least 30 minutes, which I guess equates to around 8 hours of play. They're not dead after 2 weeks, but changing the strings has become somewhat of a ritual that I enjoy doing. Gives me a chance to clean the fingerboard, headstock, and top that are covered by the strings.

Haven't changed the strings on my J-15 yet, but have a pack of Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze to put on her, along with the 80/20 spare pack she shipped with. I have not yet used coated strings, but I plan to try some at some point. The Martin Lifespans seemed nice when I was testing out a DRSGT which shipped with them.

I bought my 2007 J50 new in the fall of 2009, so it had been sitting in the shop for maybe 1.5 or 2 years. The strings that were on it were the best sounding strings it's ever had, and I'm always trying to get back to that tone. Haven't made it yet.

I'm currently trying a couple different sets of 80/20s (Masterbuilts and Earthwoods) to let them age and see if they give me that tone of the original strings.

For strings that hold their tone long term, try nickel wound. In the past I really didn't like them on my J50, but for whatever reason last year I tried a set of John Pearce pure nickel lights and liked the tone. They were on the guitar for several months and the tone didn't change. I also play JP pure nickel mediums on my Martin dreads for the tone and longevity.

I pretty much have experienced and agree with all that's been written so far on one of my guitars or another. Generally I don't like any string when they are brand new and I think they enter the zone of optimum tone after three to ten days. The thing I've learned about leaving strings on for a long time to go for that old, thumpy sound is that about the time the wound strings get to sounding really good to me the unwound strings begin to lose a certain quality of sound that I like to hear. Maybe it's just the way my personal body chemistry reacts differently with the bronze or phosphor bronze wraps versus the plain finish of the high E and B strings but it starts to drive me nuts at the drop off of that fine edge of the unwound string's tone enough that I end up changing the strings at that point. Is it just me or is all the new tech that comes along with each new kind of string that hits the market all about the wound strings and the unwound strings just stay the same from that set to this set? Know what I mean?

Is it just me or is all the new tech that comes along with each new kind of string that hits the market all about the wound strings and the unwound strings just stay the same from that set to this set?

All depends on what you're using.

For Acoustics, maybe I agree with you,

But for electrics, not quite the same experience.

For example: Ernie Ball Cobalts and M-Steels (also made w/cobalt materials) are a game changer when compared to traditional nickel strings on any electric guitar with Alnico based pickups. Since the magnets are a cobalt metal, the cobalt material in the string windings generates a completely different transfer of energy from the string to the magnet. They are in fact louder, and sense there is more articulation and dynamics in the touch response. They don't look or feel at all like Nickel Strings, and that could be a put off (it was for me at first, but I got used to it)

I've yet to try the D'Addario Balanced Tensions yet, but I hear from those who have, it's another big leap where there's some separation from the pack of manufactures that use hype to sell their product, but in reality perhaps there is not much difference from one to another.

Does it vary from one guitar to another?

Country Blues picking sounds ridiculous on new strings. [mellow]

BluesKing777.

This wondering if a preference for strings aged a certain amount varies from one guitar to another makes sense. It was curious that EuroAussie and J45Nick were both lauding the longevity of the DR Sunbeams, where I was amazed at how when they decided to be done (in 3, 4 wks, max), they were quickly gone to the thuddy side of things. But considering EA & Nick may've been into the classic quick decay short-scale round shoulder mahogany-backed Gibson sound which excels at the singer-songwritery stuff, and lately I've been into the low end clarity and warmth of rosewood combined with the round shoulder Gibson shape, and not too much strumming of those either, sans pick.

I typically change strings every ~2 weeks - I play daily for at least 30 minutes, which I guess equates to around 8 hours of play. They're not dead after 2 weeks, but changing the strings has become somewhat of a ritual that I enjoy doing. Gives me a chance to clean the fingerboard, headstock, and top that are covered by the strings.

Every two weeks is a lot of string changing, and a lot of strings. You've got to go inside your guitar, capture an image, and post us up a pic of your bridge plate. Every time those strings are brought up to tension, the string's ball ends dig into the plate a bit. This galling builds up over time, and can cause problems, requiring a trip to the luthier for repair. This would be another advantage of the Elixirs; two or three times per year vs 26 times.

Every two weeks is a lot of string changing, and a lot of strings. You've got to go inside your guitar, capture an image, and post us up a pic of your bridge plate. Every time those strings are brought up to tension, the string's ball ends dig into the plate a bit. This galling builds up over time, and can cause problems, requiring a trip to the luthier for repair. This would be another advantage of the Elixirs; two or three times per year vs 26 times. [/size]

Considering my current guitar is still on the factory set of strings, I'd imagine the bridge plate looks pretty much brand new. I do plan on going with coated strings on my J-15, most likely Martin Lifespan SPs.

On my Epiphone AJ220s, I swapped out often because I was either fooling with different brands/types, or just wanted a fresh set. I was not really worried about bridge plate wear on this guitar.

I should note that on my Regal square neck slide resonator guitar, I haven't changed its strings in years. Old strings just sound better on a slide guitar. Same thing with my 5 string banjo. I have't changed strings in years...it just sounds better with old strings. (I have heard many slide guitarists, including Blues King, say the same thing about slide playing and I've heard many 5 string banjoists like myself also say the same thing.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

There are probably a few factors with sliding and old strings- one being that left hand strength from practice and the notes can be sustained with the slide for a very long time. My glass bottleneck, though polished, still has a 'sandy' grit in there somewhere and gives the strings a nice clean and polish every time. AND the left hand grubbies don't touch the board as much as standard playing.

Those same old strings are not much for a huge, string ringing version of Zep's Rain Song in open tuning on the D28! Newer the better!

BluesKing777.

In some situations new steel is attractive - fx certain recordings or if you're goin' to an acoustic jam.

While you find the role or as the evening rolls, the strings will begin to break in and find a very convincing level

and after 4 hour of free music in that kitchen jam, you'll sound like a saint.

That said, I really like to keep the strings on a long time. If the guitars are good, the faded or 'normalized' bronze will allow the true nature of the instruments forward.*

Think that particularly counts for Gibsons, , , the square hog ones indeed - both contemporaries and oldies.

But also my '53 J-45 had its D'Addario 8515 11-52's on for ages.

Every time I decided to change them and took the slope up, it simply sang too real to continue.

*Especially when talkin' scalloped or light braced boxes

Btw. I still boil strings once in a while.

Yes, I hear you laugh, but there's a certain sonic secret in what you get when doin' that.

Hmm...just changed the strings on my 1965 Gibson LG1 after who knows how long. Got to admit the new strings on it sound pretty good. Been playing it through my amp through a Rare Earth Humbucker sound hole pickup at my gigs all summer with its older strings and didn't notice acoustically how it really sounded with the older strings. Which raises another factor, plugged in older strings still sound pretty good, but when compared to acoustic playing non-plugged in...newer strings can sound a lot better than the older ones. A timely post, eh?

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Don't like the new string "zing" sound. Strings 3 days to 8 weeks are the sweet spot to me ....... same for all my guitars. I do have a buddy with a 94 J45 that is warm and pleasant only with old "dead" strings".

My 2 cents.

I have a hard time with new strings in general, some more than others, but I find that often a Gibson really mitigates that horrible new string zing somewhat.

A Martin, on the other hand... Someone else mentioned they had dead strings on a guitar and can't get that sound back again. I had the same strings on my (then new) 2010 M-36 until late 2014, and I too have not been able to get back that sound I liked so much. Guess I just need to put some zingy PB strings on it and wait for them to die.

I don't break strings anymore (I used to not wrap enough at the headstock--now I might wrap too much, but they rarely break unless there is a saddle/nut issue, despite lots of tunings), so it's always a toss-up when to change the strings.

I hope to eventually find strings that don't have the new string zing yet still have good tension. I'm excited to try Dunlop strings. Wouldn't have expected them to be the magic set, but maybe they are.

This wondering if a preference for strings aged a certain amount varies from one guitar to another makes sense. It was curious that EuroAussie and J45Nick were both lauding the longevity of the DR Sunbeams, where I was amazed at how when they decided to be done (in 3, 4 wks, max), they were quickly gone to the thuddy side of things. But considering EA & Nick may've been into the classic quick decay short-scale round shoulder mahogany-backed Gibson sound which excels at the singer-songwritery stuff, and lately I've been into the low end clarity and warmth of rosewood combined with the round shoulder Gibson shape, and not too much strumming of those either, sans pick.

You've probably hit the nail on the head here. I don't put a premium on sustain on a mahogany guitar. I do like a bit of funk in my Gibsons, and old Sunbeams are good for that. They get a bit funky and dry without sounding dead, if that makes any sense. At the same time, new Sunbeams are really warm, with great separation and good sustain on mahogany Gibson slope-J's.

Archived