Gibson Brands Forums

epi vs. gibson, can you hear the differance

JerseyRay

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first gig was in '76 and have been doing it since. When I pick up a guitar, I sound like me. Over the years I've chased the tone and had severe bouts of gas and owned many guitars worth thousands. What works best is finding that guitar / amp combo that just feels good, what comes out exceeds what you were going for.

As you dump cash into guitars, its diminished returns. I look at it as if your gear gets you to that zone, great, you are there. stop!

It depends on how much of those diminished returns you need to achieve that zone. I'm 3 months into playing a new epiphone lp standard plustop pro that just had it, while i was running the racks, and had to have it. I've gotten beyond the point of where i am trying to make my new guitar sound like my old favorite and finding it's own virtues. Right now it is my #1 for most of the night until something else comes along and unseats it (i switch off to a tele and/or 335 for some songs). I'm glad i don't have to have all the thousand dollar goodies to get something happening.

It doesn't say gibson on the headstock but no one in the crowd notices or cares. For the few guitarist that may wonder why an epi over a gibby, hell, i got my tone, show them what the ol' epi can do and have fun doing it.

I remember gigging a PRS Artist III, sometimes it would hit that zone. It really sucked that I chipped the headstock off a cymbal edge before i traded it in on a better fitting axe. I lost enough on that to have paid for my epi lp standard plustop pro, my new #1.

I don't know what to say to someone that needs that extra few % to find their tone or having to have xxx on the headstock except i'm glad i'm not one of them. I drive a caddy over a chevy but in reality, the chevy would do just as good for less $$$. (and take a lot less waxing too).

From my point of view, don't limit yourself. play what works for you and put on a good show. keeps the schedule (and beer tank) full. If you like/need the frills enjoy but don't look down on those that don't. I've had and enjoyed premium guitars but don't need to go that far considering the road ware.

How can you compare a poor chinese copy with a Gibson ?

[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Photoflame on a chinese SG Copy [scared][flapper]

image_55.jpg

Again you changed something by mistake. Foto Flames can be found on some 1990's Fenders crafted or made in Japan.

Me thinks you didn't read what I linked here for educational purposes: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/131739-gibson-snob-here/page__view__findpost__p__1798236

Veneer ?

The new name for photo flame ...

[biggrin]

One is a picture, one is a finished thin layer of wood. I was a headstock snob once, for about 30 years. Lost thousands in value for road wear from using the guitars for what they were made to do. I've played and owned many and now, to me, there is a starting point where you get a good sounding, functioning and playing instrument. Let people enjoy their guitar and music. Be supportive. For some it is all they can afford. For me it's a smarter choice, when I wear it out it's a loss of ~$500 instead of ~$2500. I see nothing wrong with premium guitars but been there, done that, right now my Epi LS Standard Plustop pro works for me. I enjoy the heck playing it and looking at the 'veneer' top. It's actually fiddleback flame, my fav.

Search the racks, you CAN find sweet ones. If they are a good fit, enjoy the many nights in the zone. There is a chance of finding a stellar instrument that the thousands extra can be attributed to but for the most part its bragging rights. I'd much rather compliments for a well turned solo than bragging about my solid top. To each is own.

Veneer ?

The new name for photo flame ...

[biggrin]

Let's see if we can simplify this a little bit so maybe even you can comprehend it...

Veneer : a thin decorative covering of fine wood applied to a coarser wood or other material.

Photo Flame : high resolution images of wood grains layered with a variety of colorful finishes applied to laminated vinyl that will enhance the appearance of a guitar.

A veneer is wood and photo flame is a sticker.

Stay with me now, I'll try to explain further...

THIS IS WOOD = IMG_3766.jpg

THESE ARE STICKERS = HTB10IXoGXXXXXb8XpXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg

You still with me?

VENEERS = Wood-veneer-sample-pack-with-50-pieces-4.jpg

PHOTO FLAME = burning-photograph.jpg

• 4 months later...

I will just add this to this thread...

I have had several Gibson LPs and Epi LPs over the years, and currently have 2 Gibbys and 1 Epi. The 2 Gibsons are LP Trads with boutique pickups (Manlius) while the Epi is a LP Custom PRO with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups and a Bigsby B7. I can honestly, 100% say that while all 3 have their own signature sound, neither is what I'd call "better" than the other, just different but equally good. Before I put the Bigsby on the Epi, while still awesome, it wasn't quite as good as the Gibsons in that it was just a tad "thinner" sounding... but once I put the Bigsby on, it trickened up nicely and now is every bit as meaty as either Gibson.

That said, this particular Epi is the best Epi I have personally ever owned (and I've owned quite a few) or ever played for that matter (have played many as well). So maybe mine is just a really, really good one. Regardless, it's a fantastic guitar and I really consider it to be the equal of my GIbsons. A LPC for about 1/8 the price. :)

Of course much of this is psychological, which shouldn't be discounted here. Even if it's just a name on the headstock, if that inspires confidence and makes you play more/play better than it's worth it to those who are willing to pay for it. There are duds put out by both Gibson and Epiphone, and the fit and finish I've seen on a lot of current higher end Epiphones has been nothing short of impressive. The wiring harnesses though are usually the weak link along with the pickups on most Epiphones, at least the older ones I've gutted and replaced in the past. But once you pop in some good pickups, wiring, pots and switch and give it a good set up an Epiphone is no slouch and perfectly suitable for any professional musician.

I've owned quite a few "high end" Gibsons and Fenders and last year did a major thinning of the herd and kept a Mexican made Fender Classic 50's Telecaster that I put Fender OV pickups into and a '97 Epiphone Dot that I gutted and put a new harness into with some SD Antiquity pickups and can't say I miss any of the more expensive guitars I sold last year. The amp also plays a major factor that some might overlook. My '76 Deluxe Reverb has been gone through and had a cap job in the last few years, otherwise the circuit is 100% original. Id' rather have a cheap guitar and an expensive amp instead of the other way around.

Archived