Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
onewilyfool

Hypothetical trade situation…...

Here is a trade situation, purely hypothetical, but a similar situation can come up in any trade situation. Let's say, we are trying to work a trade deal. One person has a used Martin 2000 D-28, 9 out of 10 condition. The other has a Gibson 2000 J-15, 9 out of 10 condition. CURRENT new list value for the Martin is $2629. Current new value for the J-15 is $1499. Unknown what "street" value is for the two, but let's just work off the list. Both players like the trade, BUT how to figure out how much CASH one has to throw in to make the trade fair and equitable. How do you guys do it?

This scenario is pretty straight forward, but still, has some nuances. It gets more complicated when one guitar is 10 years older than the other.One guitar 7 out of 10 condition, the other 9 out of 10. One guitar has a beat up case, other has a pristine case, etc etc. Trades are often complicated.

It depends.

Will there be alcohol served at the negotiating table?

This could work to the veteran drinker's advantage.

Just saying......

[unsure]

The list really means nothing here.. the D28 is a good guitar.. But not that good its a $1300.00 guitar at best used.. .. where the J15 is pretty much the same.. I would say 1000.00 tops.. so a trade difference of 250.00 to 300.00 ..

But if it was me... I would keep the J15.. and not bother with a standard D28..

I think the used D-28s of that era are listing for near $2,000. If I were the D-28 seller I'd be pushing for that J-15 plus a thousand bucks. The D-28 is an iconic recognizable guitar, the J-15 is a relative new comer with not much history yet.

I figure a used D28 of recent vintage is an $1800 guitar. I know from selling one. And I wouldnt pay more than $1050 for a J15 used.

I say $750 bucks is a fair deal in my estimation. And a shared beer and jam afterwards.

1473013174[/url]' post='1797009']

Here is a trade situation, purely hypothetical, but a similar situation can come up in any trade situation. Let's say, we are trying to work a trade deal. One person has a used Martin 2000 D-28, 9 out of 10 condition. The other has a Gibson 2000 J-15, 9 out of 10 condition. CURRENT new list value for the Martin is $2629. Current new value for the J-15 is $1499. Unknown what "street" value is for the two, but let's just work off the list. Both players like the trade, BUT how to figure out how much CASH one has to throw in to make the trade fair and equitable. How do you guys do it?

This scenario is pretty straight forward, but still, has some nuances. It gets more complicated when one guitar is 10 years older than the other.One guitar 7 out of 10 condition, the other 9 out of 10. One guitar has a beat up case, other has a pristine case, etc etc. Trades are often complicated.

Sorry I try not to trade I try to keep my guitars they are family just my opinion msp_unsure.gif

Hmmm….I see on our local CL that Martin D-28 standard owners are trying to get around $1650, and local J-45 owners (various incarnations of the J-45) are in the $1750 asking range. A new 9 out of 10 Martin D-28 for $1300 is pretty good deal I'd say…..

One thing to keep in mind is that Martin lists guitars at "retail price," and then sellers usually sell them at "minimum advertised price" (I think about 20% discount), and they can be had for a 40% discount (the lowest a dealer can sell them).

Contrast this with Gibson. They no longer bother with "retail price" at all, and so anything you see for a Gibson is going to be "minimum advertised price." So if you look on the Martin website for a D-28, that's retail price. The $1499 for a J-15 is not retail price but is, rather, MAP.

Not sure if that's helpful or just pedantic! A J-15 is a steal of a deal, especially if you can get it below that MAP (a dealer like EM Shorts Guitars will probably go a further 20% in addition to the 20% that MAP represents). I think a D-28 is a wee bit overpriced these days...

Of course a J-15 and D-28 are totally different animals.

If the Martin were an HD model, I might work on a trade. BUt for a standard D28 I'd keep the J15. I still like several Martin models, but with "all due respect," I think Martins have become very generic.

Guys....lol...I was just trying to see how you guys would figure out the delta difference in cash between two guitars regardless of make or model.....jus how you figure out how to determine the cash differences between a higher priced " company x" and a lower priced "company y"....lol...now I'm sorry I mentioned Martin and Gibson.....this was just a "for instance" it could be any two guitars

Guys....lol...I was just trying to see how you guys would figure out the delta difference in cash between two guitars regardless of make or model.....jus how you figure out how to determine the cash differences between a higher priced " company x" and a lower priced "company y"....lol...now I'm sorry I mentioned Martin and Gibson.....this was just a "for instance" it could be any two guitars

hello, I think what I mentioned would be a good place to start on difference for value.. Because at this point of what you were asking both guitars are used..

See what they sell for on reverb and eBay. Seems that would be the most straight forward and objective way.

Right. You've basically got to estimate what they're currently worth. The only way to do this, that I know of, is looking at ebay's completed listings. I don't know that reverb has that capability. It's not that good an estimate to see what people want to sell a guitar for. It only matters what they actually sell it for.

Reverb's price guide says "The price ranges you'll find in the Price Guide are based on real-time transactional information." I'm not certain, but I guess this means what things actually sold for. Their ranges are pretty wide, though. $1800-2500 for a Guild F412, for example. I guess you could pick the midpoint of the range and have a fair idea for the current value. This assumes the range comes from what things actually sold for, and not what people are trying to sell them for.

Okay, well I think my post was on-point then. I think I would look at the current retail price (not the MAP) of the J-15 and the D-28, cut that retail price in half, which is a general rule of thumb for perfect condition used guitar, and start there.

Here is an analysis I made of used/vintage guitar prices I made in 2011 based on the Vintage Guitar Price Guides -- I have them all. I show the values of a guitar as multiplier of MSRP (corrected by the Federal inflation index). So if a guitar is shown as a one, it means its value in todays market would be it original MSRP corrected for inflation.

Presentation1.jpg

I was interested in old guitars, but this also answers the question for newer guitars. The street price of new instruments (if you shop around) is 60% of MSRP. So a new guitar would give a .6. Notice for both the J-45 and D-28, that is exactly the number the dealers would price a newer used guitar in excellent original condition.

Lets assume a 9 condition would qualify as excellent. Then the street prices of the two guitars in question would be $1577.40 and $899.40. Thus the correct number you seek is exactly $678.00.

Note -- this would be retail numbers.

Glad I could help.

-Tom