Gibson Brands Forums

My cats love when I change strings

saturn

Wonder what they did with real catgut strings of a classical guitar. [scared]...

"Say; He smells familiar..."...............

[laugh]

Of course 'cat-gut' strings were never actually cat-gut; usually sheep/goat intestines were used although both pig and even cow were the 'donors' on occasion!

P.

[thumbup]

My cat loves my cases' interiors, too—as well as my pedal board's soft case.

I don't let him play with my old strings as I change them out, however. He will chew and gnaw on anything I give him. I don't want him poking his eye out, or impaling his mouth on a "b" string. I prick myself at least nearly once per string change... those things are lethal!

We don't have cats to worry about and Sundance ignores them. I loosen them up and clip the end by the head and throw those away in the trash then roll the long strings up and put them back in the package then to the trash now because I used to look for small pieces here and there on the floor. Same putting them on, I measure what I need, clip the end and put those on top of my amp and throw them all away at the same time.

image.jpg18_zpsujycnkj0.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

"Say; He smells familiar..."...............

[laugh]

Of course 'cat-gut' strings were never actually cat-gut; usually sheep/goat intestines were used although both pig and even cow were the 'donors' on occasion!

P.

All true [scared]

Interestingly the top makers said it was cat gut because people were very superstitious about cats at the time which kept people guessing so the real secrets of making good stings would stay secret.

One of our cats in particular loves string time! If I close the door to the room, she'll sit there and yow like her face is going to come off! I tie all six strings together at the ball end and run the cat around the room 'til she's tired. She hasn't ever hurt herself while playing; she tends not to bite the ends. It's a lot of fun for both of us!

Also, I found out that lutenists and players of the theorbo still use synthetic gut strings. Apparently, they last for years and, like wine, get better as they age.

Yeah my cat used to do the same thing..

But then any sort of bag or box or wrapping or anything he could sit in or on or stick his head in to and he would :)

DSC01044_zpsuuyhr4vz.jpg

And if you left him there he would usually fall asleep

DSC00768_zpsvftue1a2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mine were always doing that too. Chasing the ball ends around.

I can't get a tape measure out without them coming to see what's going on. As soon as I try to make a measurement; there they are in the doorway...watching. Waiting.

They could have been outside, downstairs, asleep, eating...doesn't matter. Tape measure means playtime to them.

Don't have a cat currently, but my last one loved it when I changed strings. Honestly, I think she was drawn to the sound of strings as they were being removed. She played with the loose ends too, but something about the noise was what made her come running...

• 1 month later...

Archived