Gibson Brands Forums

1958 les paul reissue plaintop VOS

hoross

Now that i finally toook the step to buy an r8 i just see there are so many like i want the plaintop 58 reissue vos but there are standard 58,standard historic,gloss finish can someone please explain me the difference im new in the world of the custom shops.Thanks.

Guest Farnsbarns

VOS and gloss finish are kin of opposites. VOS has some age to the finish and hardware. Gloss does not.

Standard and historic are misnomers I'm guessing you're seeing on line. The are all "standards" in that they are all reissues of 58 standards. They are all Historic reissues.

True historic (I know you didn't ask but might be useful) is an even closer reissue with accurate plastic parts etc.

• 4 weeks later...

A Class-5 is a Custom Shop Standard, so it's got fancy expensive innards and stuff, and nice woods, and blah.

A "Gloss" Standard Historic or True Historic is just that; full glossy lacquer and a nice sheen; a guitar that would have just been delivered to a store.

A "VOS" is the same specifications, but during the finish process they omit the final stages, so it's not so glossy and light-reflecting.

I think the idea behind VOS was that it was meant to represent a brand-new guitar that had never been played or something; sat in the case for 50-odd years. It starts to lose its' luster in the shine of the finish, and the metals oxidise slightly and tarnish. I read that somewhere a while ago - whether it's accurate I don't know.

Archived