Gibson Brands Forums

So, What WERE they thinking?

kidblast

Perhaps the intricate application of the ornate inlayments into a "Ritchlite" board. As, if I'm correct,

"Ritchlite"is more difficult to work with ( including frets).

And to add, a testing of the waters of a composite fretboard, and the acceptance of the substitute of a wooden fretboard ? That being said, why on one of their most famous "High end " guitars ?

Hm. Guess if someone really likes blue, really likes bling, and is able to save up a lot of clams... They put out J-200s in all manner of colors, but I've never seen a weird color along with all that pearl.

I got no problem with a Richlite board/bridge. It doesn't mean "cheaper," just means different. "Man-made ebony" is no weirder than the "man-made ivory" Gibson, Martin ("ivoroid") and others use as binding. Only difference is we except the plastic binding because it's been used since plastic was invented. If compressed wood fiber fingerboards/bridges had been invented back then, we'd probably accept them, too. Plastic makes good binding material, and compressed wood fiber makes a darn good fingerboard. It's more expensive and tougher to work with.

Wouldn't want it on any of my classic guitars, but if my J-15 had come with it instead of walnut, it wouldn't have been a deal-breaker. (Actually, it is probably a better fingerboard than walnut... but I really like the walnut...)

Well for me I guess it's that I don't really care for blue guitars, (maybe I should say blue acoustic guitars) Maybe I'm just boring.

But that one,, oyvhey! looks like Liberaci threw up on it.

I'll take my boring old vintage sunburst SJ200 any day.

It is possible that in person, it would be different... but I Don't think so...

if it makes someone else happy, so be it.

Blue guitar, blue car, blue jeans and blue shirt, playing some kind of music? Blue Music? Possible.

well of course it's blues, and straight up.. we like it just like that!

my niece's husband has a gold one from 2000,, it's quite the machine.

Hey... Smurfs need to rock out too!

[lol]

Blue guitar, blue car, blue jeans and blue shirt, playing some kind of music? Blue Music? Possible.

well of course it's blues, and straight up.. we like it just like that!

my niece's husband has a gold one from 2000,, it's quite the machine.

Yep - well stated! [biggrin][thumbup]

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark! Mojorule!!...hope you are not a zombie [biggrin] .How ya bin?

Undead, Flatters, undead: thanks for asking. :blink: So little time these days, but checked in to see what the semi-players have to say about the new VOS 1958 ES335. Played one and it was just stunning. When I win the lottery I will buy one. Once back into the merry old land of Oz, I found that the really class company is still down this end of the yellow brick road. Couldn't resist this thread. Hope you're still entertaining the critters Down Under. Apparently we'll be able to buy overpriced guitars from your neck of the woods in about 2019, as by then deals from Thomann will probably be a thing of the past. EuroAussie will probably be a multi-millionaire by then, and ParlourMan will have been deported from Luxembourg.

Anyway, back to the topic. Rather richlite than coprolite, I suppose.

Not even this one?

gibson-master-museum-J-200.jpg?itok=2j7Ko9oE

Rumour has it, it's even more expensive than amber.

johnny-depp-jack-sparrow-pirates-of-the-caribbean-gibson-gibson-j-200.jpg

I kind of like that one! I don't care for the bridge and the pickguard decoration and stuff, but I like the weird woody purple and some of the other decoration. But yeah, you're right, and I forgot about that one.

Archived