Gibson Brands Forums

Bone Crusher at GC

SC_Wannabe

Gone. Sold. To anyone here? Slim, you sly dog. . . got another for the herd?

Has Guitar Center gotten better about having more than one photo of the guitar for their used listings? Maybe soon they'll even have descriptions of the guitar in question.

Looking at the pre-sold Bone Crusher listing led to perusing the other used Gibson offerings at GC.

BayouBengal might find the two 1948 J-50's of interest (on pg 6, and on the last page).

And this '30's L-C has an interesting way of keeping the family in the music:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-10%20at%209.05.48%20AM_zpst7v9john.png

The J60 is such a underrated guitar.. I own a few from the early 90s.. They are keepers here..

That's pretty impressive! How many is "a few"?

Hopefully if someone here bought it, they will post some pics and their impressions.

I always figured if I was going to buy used through GCs website, I would call the GC that had the guitar and get an in-hand description and some better pics if possible. I'm not sure if you have to pay up front to have it delivered to the GC nearest you, but at least if you don't like it you can get your money back. I'm not sure about shipping though.

That's pretty impressive! How many is "a few"?

Hopefully if someone here bought it, they will post some pics and their impressions.

I always figured if I was going to buy used through GCs website, I would call the GC that had the guitar and get an in-hand description and some better pics if possible. I'm not sure if you have to pay up front to have it delivered to the GC nearest you, but at least if you don't like it you can get your money back. I'm not sure about shipping though.

Shipping is "Pay to Play". A really great way to find a one of a kind deal and try it out at home.

Don't put too much faith in the marketing and hyperbole of "the bone crusher", unless it's a Pre War Gibson Advanced Jumbo, then, only, it may put a Pre War Martin D 28 "Herringbone" on the bottom of the pile. I've yet to hear a modern Gibson crush a Pre War Martin D 28 "Herringbone" 'Course I only have my hearing aid up to about half. P T Barnum's "quote",

"There's a Sucker Born Every Minute". Don't take my lowly word for it. I have two modern Gibson flat tops that I adore the sound and tone of and won't part with 'em, but I doubt they would crush a soft boiled egg.

Don't put too much faith in the marketing and hyperbole of "the bone crusher", unless it's a Pre War Gibson Advanced Jumbo, then, only, it may put a Pre War Martin D 28 "Herringbone" on the bottom of the pile. I've yet to hear a modern Gibson crush a Pre War Martin D 28 "Herringbone" 'Course I only have my hearing aid up to about half. P T Barnum's "quote",

"There's a Sucker Born Every Minute". Don't take my lowly word for it. I have two modern Gibson flat tops that I adore the sound and tone of and won't part with 'em, but I doubt they would crush a soft boiled egg.

Well have you played a modern Advanced Jumbo, then?

I don't think most Gibsons are, or ever were, designed to crush bones.

I also think pre-war guitars are a little talked-up. Even if you found a real crapper, folks would pay top dollar and convince themselves it sounded wonderful simply because it was "pre-war".

In all fairness, I don't think that a pre-war D28 was the 'bone that the J60 was meant to compete with. I'm pretty sure it was Gibson's response to the modern HD-28. Whether it can crush that 'bone or not, I don't know. I do like the tone of the J60 from what I've heard on the internet though.

In all fairness, I don't think that a pre-war D28 was the 'bone that the J60 was meant to compete with. I'm pretty sure it was Gibson's response to the modern HD-28. Whether it can crush that 'bone or not, I don't know. I do like the tone of the J60 from what I've heard on the internet though.

I may have the years wrong and have been accused of speculation before. :) I just read the relevant section in The Book yet still can't remember. However, I do think the original Advanced Jumbo was indeed meant to compete with the Martin D-28 on even footing. A Martin Dreadnought and a Gibson Jumbo were competitors, to be sure, but were (and are) very different guitars (D-18 vs J-35 or J-45, etc)--different scales, different types of voicing... From what I understand, the Advanced Jumbo was meant to be bigger and louder to compete with fiddles and banjos. The might mean it was Gibson's way of saying, "Okay, you want loud? Here you go," or even, "You think a D-28 is loud, huh? Okay, here's one for ya."

Archived