Gibson Brands Forums

Just noticed a 1959 ES-335 on eBay with no headstock serial number,

MulliganAl

is this real? I contacted the seller and he said that Gibson didn't stamp the 1959 reissue ES335 but did put the orange tag inside the sound hole.

My link

He has this advertised on craigslist also but I'm just interested to know if you guys have ever heard of no headstock number and if you think this is legit?

Dang, that's kinda' messed up, especially for a $6500 guitar.

As a REAL 1959 ES-335 did not have the serial number stamped on the back of the headstock (only written on the inside label), so this a historically accurate feature on the reissue.

As a REAL 1959 ES-335 did not have the serial number stamped on the back of the headstock (only written on the inside label), so this a historically accurate feature on the reissue.

Based on this eBay auction would you guys trust that this is a real 1959 Gibson ES335 Reissue? I see the serial number A07518 but can't make sense of it from the Gibson sites I've visited. Can anyone make sense of this Serial Number?

My link

...the serial number A07518...

Again, a historically accurate feature, as the ES-3XX's received "A" serial numbers from their late 50's inception up to early 1961.

The recent use of the "A" series numbers designates the highest level of "Historic" reissues from the Custom Shop. Originally (about 20 years ago) the reintroduction of the "A" series numbers ("B" was also used) was a model/RI year/production year code used by the Nashville Custom Shop. The above SN does not fit the original code, but Gibson may have change the code for Memphis, or just gone to some sequential numbering system.

I own a 2000 built "A" series ES-345, and have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the instrument shown in the linked ad.

BUT..... as I went back to check it one more time, the ad lists as:

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

Again, a historically accurate feature, as the ES-3XX's received "A" serial numbers from their late 50's inception up to early 1961.

The recent use of the "A" series numbers designates the highest level of "Historic" reissues from the Custom Shop. Originally (about 20 years ago) the reintroduction of the "A" series numbers ("B" was also used) was a model/RI year/production year code used by the Nashville Custom Shop. The above SN does not fit the original code, but Gibson may have change the code for Memphis, or just gone to some sequential numbering system.

I own a 2000 built "A" series ES-345, and have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the instrument shown in the linked ad.

BUT..... as I went back to check it one more time, the ad lists as:

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

I've been working with him to purchase this ES335 so that's the reason he cancelled the eBay sale and mentioned and error. I just need to make sure I'm getting a genuine Gibson Es335. I talked with him and he seems very legit but I just want to make sure.

Well, I now own it so I hope I got a good price since I paid less then what was listed.

If your half as happy with this guitar as I am with my 2000 built "Historic" 345, then you'll still be ecstatic. Can't wait for pics and reports.

• 2 weeks later...

If your half as happy with this guitar as I am with my 2000 built "Historic" 345, then you'll still be ecstatic. Can't wait for pics and reports.

My new 1959 ES-335 Reissue has arrived, and she is a beauty. The sale was touch and go for a while since I wasn't sure or comfortable with making such a large purchase through Craigslist, but it worked out and I'm a pretty happy guy. Not sure I'd do it again because the stress was too much as I waited for her arrival and feared receiving a large $3K+ box of rocks.

She's definitely very different playing wise from my Tele so it's going to take some time to become comfortable with her, but she's a keeper for sure. I'm going to take her in next week to get a professional setup, then she'll be ready to go. I was also thinking about having a bone nut installed but after doing more reading it seems I wouldn't really notice much of a difference, perhaps some of you guys can tell me if you've installed a bone nut and if you noticed a difference worth the price.

GZHoo2I.jpg

Archived