Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
groovadelic

Hummingbird Replacement Pickguard?

I know this has been discussed a ton, and Jeremy did a great job prior to his departure to take care of so many of us (he personally helped me out on a couple of occasions). Basically, a friend of mine has a Gibson Hummingbird from 2007 which I personally found for him second-hand as he was really digging mine :)

Well, a couple of years ago the outer layer of the pickguard started peeling as well as some of the edges curling. He tried gluing it, which didn't work, so he ripped it off and tossed it (NO!!!!!). I saw his guitar recently and shook my head. He said he hates that his guitar is now a birdless hummingbird.

Thought I would post here to see if anyone has a contact at Gibson to see if we can pull a few strings and help a guy out. He can of course provide the serial number, pictures of the guitar, a sad face, etc.

I know this has been discussed a ton, and Jeremy did a great job prior to his departure to take care of so many of us (he personally helped me out on a couple of occasions). Basically, a friend of mine has a Gibson Hummingbird from 2007 which I personally found for him second-hand as he was really digging mine :)

Well, a couple of years ago the outer layer of the pickguard started peeling as well as some of the edges curling. He tried gluing it, which didn't work, so he ripped it off and tossed it (NO!!!!!). I saw his guitar recently and shook my head. He said he hates that his guitar is now a birdless hummingbird.

Thought I would post here to see if anyone has a contact at Gibson to see if we can pull a few strings and help a guy out. He can of course provide the serial number, pictures of the guitar, a sad face, etc.

I don't know if this one is right for a 2007, but it may be worth a look:

https://www.allparts.com/PG-9810-043-Pickguard-for-Hummingbird-Acoustic_p_2780.html

Nah - that ones a really cheaper repro. Would like to ideally get him hooked up with one from the factory.

I don't see why Gibson wouldn't be willing to sell them a replacement pickguard. No idea what the price would be.

Have you not called or emailed Gibson yet?

I don't see why Gibson wouldn't be willing to sell them a replacement pickguard. No idea what the price would be.

Have you not called or emailed Gibson yet?

Yep tried them - wish it were that simple. They said they cannnot (which I expected). A couple of years ago I had an issue needing replacement part, same answer through normal customer service - I did not want an aftermarket replacement. After that, I tried through a dealer (also said the same thing) and had to name drop Jeremy (who used to help folks out on the forum). He must have pulled some strings since shortly after they took care of me.

You might try going through an authorized Gibson repair person, listed elsewhere from this forum on Gibson's website. Although, the repair person may have your friend send in the guitar to them or arrange for it to be picked up by them an authorized dealer...so the authorized repair person can do the repair/replacement of the now missing pick guard.

Or, I suppose you could try E-Bay for one.

I would expect that either way, it is gonna be on the costly side as the H-Bird pickup is an intricate part of the H-Bird brand and model of the instrument. The price to pay for your friend's foolishness of just previously pitching it.

I don't blame Gibson for having tight controls on the dissemination of a factory H-Bird pickup to just anyone. They have to battle counterfeiting of one of their flagship models on this, where the unknowing victim of a counterfeit's first ID impression of a H-Bird is that special H-Bird pick guard.

The other option is likely for your friend to simply buy the replacement after-market pick guard and at least again have an identifiable H-Bird with a story behind it. Or, live without the pick guard and part of an H-Bird's identity although it would still be a great utility instrument.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I'm guessing that if Gibson wanted to make a few bucks on the side - they could mass produce HBird pick guards, for maybe $2.00 each and sell them for $20.

Of course, they would not have any credibility in the guitar industry . Their main competitors would be a couple of little shops in China.

I guess I am misunderstanding how Gibson would lose credibility by selling replacement parts.

Martin sells replacement pickguards on their site - and they haven't lost credibility.

I agree with not selling them en masse to everyone, as the Hummingbird pick guard is special, but to people who have a damaged one and want a replacement I don't see the problem. It's not like they want to buy 1000 of them, just one.

Selling one to someone they do not know who is outside of their authorized repair channel/process could result in one doctored $200 Epiphone selling for $2500 as a counterfeit Gibson to some unknowing victim by an unscrupulous party who also victimized Gibson by making them also a party to the description. Kudos to Gibson on their integrity on this one. Regarding Martin, they do not readily sell something that is an inherent identification ornament specific to one of their bread and butter brands or models...to my knowledge.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Gibson Pickguards.. I asked my dealer to see if Gibson would sell me one for a a 94 SJ200 I own.. and I was told No..

Are Gibson really not selling these for fear of fake guitar making ?

I find that hard to believe

There's a little team of counterfeiters sitting somewhere all ready to go but just can't get their hands on a pickguard ?!

I was only speculating in my post, but it does seem to make good sense on their part to closely try to protect their product and Hummingbird brand-model as well as the integrity of what is a a true Hummingbird guitar...otherwise if nothing else people would potentially be putting their Hummingbird pick guards on any old square shaped guitar, like they're H-birds...besides aiding counterfeiting, Plus, Givson is demonstrating respect for the vintage guitar market place, a fact of life, that results in original equipment Gibsons retaining or increasing their value...which, helps their current made Gibsons be hot commodities in the new guitar market-place. Henry very much knows what he is doing to protect the value of his company and its proprietary guitars' identity.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

As previously mentioned, that might be worth a try although I don't personally know. But, it seems to me authorized repair-persons (not dealers) would need to minimally have access to authorized Gibson parts for warranty work...although, I also assume they have a contractual code of ethics they need to follow to continue to be authorized Gibson repair designees. But suggesting his friend contact one to take the instrument in to one for restoration (likely at a cost since he threw out the original guard if he bought the guitar new. Or, if he didn't buy it new, at a cost to have it restored by an authorized Gibson repair person none-the-less)...is certainly, I would think, an option to try and pursue.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

QM aka

I made this enquiry. Was told to order through the distributor. I think its actually so that the distributor orders it, puts their markup on it and sells to customer. Just normal business practice really.

Wasnt cheap $300 or so.

Don't know how much your friend is willing to pay, but this company in Greece (I believe) offers hand engraved pickguards based on classic models. The top three on the page are Hummingbird styles in either gold or yellow. They ain't cheap (140 euros...around 158 USD as of today...before shipping costs are added). They do ship all over the world. There is evidently no VAT on orders shipped to the USA. It seems that basic shipping is free or if you want it sent by "Courier", add 30 euros.

http://www.mv-customguitars.com/product-category/pickguards/

I have no affiliation or knowledge about this company so I can't comment on their reputation.

Don't know how much your friend is willing to pay, but this company in Greece (I believe) offers hand engraved pickguards based on classic models. The top three on the page are Hummingbird styles in either gold or yellow. They ain't cheap (140 euros...around 158 USD as of today...before shipping costs are added). They do ship all over the world. There is evidently no VAT on orders shipped to the USA. It seems that basic shipping is free or if you want it sent by "Courier", add 30 euros.

http://www.mv-customguitars.com/product-category/pickguards/

I have no affiliation or knowledge about this company so I can't comment on their reputation.

Thanks for the link! I'll send it to him.

I know we all have our opinions on Gibson selling stuff direct. I guess you would only really care if you were the guy in need of something :). Love my Hummingbird VOS and the pickguard is not going anywhere!

Counterfeit... instead of what some suggested, i think what makes counterfeit popular is the fact gibson do not sell originals...

What makes Gibson counterfeits popular is that authentic Gibsons cost and are worth a lot of money to buy and sell and have a great reputation...and counterfeit perpetrators want to take advantage of that by duping unknowing and unsuspecting customers who want the real deal, but end up being victimized with a worthless fake. Sick greed on the perpetrator's part.

BTW, after market parts are not counterfeits, they are after market parts. Counterfeits are fake factory parts and guitars that pass themselves off as being authentically Gibson when they are not.

Big difference and all this has nothing to do with Gibson keeping right reigns on it proprietary brands and products, which serves to make it easy for a customer to determine when something is the real deal by real new guitars and new parts only are coming from authorized channels.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff