Gibson Brands Forums

What's your cooking speciality?

Mr. Gibson

Ohh.. I can cook a few things really well...

I can cook a mean thai curry... I have even cooked it for a friend who lived in Thailand for 10 years, and he approves...

Also spag bol ( I cook it with chili too) and I make great home made burgers too... That's probably about it...

Hmmmmm? Pies & pasties, I do some Chinese dishes that go over well, I'm not wild about curry but I do one that people seem to love, I do a couple of versions of chicken rolls that go over very well, oh yeah and lamb and roast veggies in the wood oven!

They all rave about that!

I have tried but simply couldn't find a way to answer this question accurately without becoming unseemly immodest at the same time.

Pip.

I'll go ahead and open the door to immodesty, Pip.

Close family and house guests crave my breakfast stir-fries.

Various meats and sausage browned in olive oil and garlic, then either precooked noodles or white sticky rice stirred-in, then whipped-up raw eggs,

everything stir fried to near-perfection,

and then cheddar and gouda cheese, and lots of seasonings and black pepper.

So good!!

At work, they crave my vats of chili and/or cajun gumbo.

I make both for my mates at the airfield on a regular basis, and they really appreciate that I use fresh ingredients.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:(

I'm a sucker for Mexican food, so either Carnitas or Carne Asada, homemade Spanish rice, and Pico de Gallo (with lots of Cilantro LOL) would be tops on my list. That said, I can cook most anything and have been doing just that for the past 20 plus years.

I have tried but simply couldn't find a way to answer this question accurately without becoming unseemly immodest at the same time.

Sorry if that sounds conceited but the fuller answer was even more so....

Pip.

Lol... don't worry Pip.

And thank you for slamming that door open!

So if I do say so myself I can make most anything taste good. And I have the girth to prove it!

Eating is a passion. Cooking is a passion.

What can I say. I'm good.

1474070807[/url]' post='1799819']

Lol... don't worry Pip.

And thank you for slamming that door open!

So if I do say so myself I can make most anything taste good. And I have the girth to prove it!

Eating is a passion. Cooking is a passion.

What can I say. I'm good.

I have found that some guys through the years who can cook better then most women. I've been cooking hamburgers on the grill since my teens using different spices and experimenting. My wife and others love my hamburgers but I can cook spaghetti and chili really good too but my most famous thing people have loved is my home made Fudge. I only make it around Christmas and end up having to make several batches for others to enjoy. Other then those things the wife is a better cook.

Sorry if that sounds conceited but the fuller answer was even more so....

Pip.

I have seen all the ways you people serve spam, so I'm not surprised.

rct

...I can cook most anything and have been doing just that for the past 20 plus years...

32 years ago when I left the family home to study in Edinburgh my mother handed over a package and said "You're going to need this...". It was 'Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course' and I've never looked back.

One great thing about Delia's recipies for a complete novice (as I most assuredly was!) is that she has never claimed to be a Great Chef; she's a Cook. All the recipes work; it's as simple as that. She takes you by the hand and leads you through the steps one-by-one in a very matronly fashion and at the end the results are always spot-on. Of course her recipies can be adjusted to personal taste once more experienced has been accrued but they work just fine as they are.

Another great thing about the episode was she laid the foundations of a real love of cooking. As Quapman says;

...Eating is a passion. Cooking is a passion...

I couldn't agree more.

I have seen all the ways you people serve spam, so I'm not surprised...

[laugh]

Well, there's a challenge!

Although truth be told...

As a teenager I used to love having sauteed Spam on toast when I got back from an eight-hour cycletour.....................[blush]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Pip.

I got a Mexican style chicken dish off the interwebz quite a few years ago. I've modified and personalized it over the years and it's become a favorite when I make it for the family. Back when I first started making it, was when the movie Napoleon Dynamite was still pretty fresh. So I named the dish Chicken Pedro. B)

I'll say something like "I think I'm gonna build a Chicken Pedro". :rolleyes:

A good cook, like a good musician, should know it and occasionally boast about it... [thumbup]

I started getting really good at about age 12 when my mother said 'if you want to sleep late at the weekends...you make your own breakfast'.... :blink:

So the journey began...always slightly 'off recipe' like my 'Gourmet Breakfast' to rival any Michelin or whoever upstart...

Fried egg, bacon and/or sausage, fried potato slices, onions, garlic, mushrooms, olive oil fried bread, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, black pudding....loads of coffee.... [thumbup]

Possessing Marguerite Patten's 'Every Day Cook Book' and Madhur Jaffrey's 'A Taste of India'

Covers the day to day and more exotic spicy cuisines

A wok is huge fun and can inspire anything from omelette to Oriental feast... [thumbup]

Mrs V is more traditional and reads the book carefully

We compliment each other.... [thumbup]

We turn the music up loud and drink the wine... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

So is it true what the kin folk tell me? 10 minutes on one side and 10 minutes on the other side? I would think heat determines the time.

10 minutes a side would be cremation not cooking IMHO Butch!

Interesting about the Mexican food thing is that whilst we have the odd Restaurant here generally speaking it is nowhere as popular here as it obviously is there. The reasons are clear why it is so big there but to be honest I have never been exposed to those flavours much and dont really like them.

...10 minutes on one side and 10 minutes on the other side?...

[scared].......................Oh My Sweet Lord (w/m by G. Harrison) !!!!

It depends primarily on the quality and the cut of the meat you are going to cook and the special occasion you have in mind.

For instance 10 minutes per side would do just fine if you were going to use the steak to re-sole a highly-cherished army boot.

Alternatively;

Get the very best Fillet Steak you can find. Have slices cut two-and-a-half cm / 1" thick (or so).

Rub with a little olive oil and season lightly.

Sear for 45 - 60 seconds each side in a very hot, dry pan.

Serve simply - and immediately - with hot, buttered extra-fine green beans and a glass of decent Haut-Medoc.

You're welcome.

Pip.

Archived