Gibson Brands Forums

What's your cooking speciality?

Mr. Gibson

Ribeyes and beef tenderloins on a Weber grill are what I do best, and IMO, no one does it better. I know they say you're not supposed to marinade a really good cut of beef, but I marinade both in a dark cherry vinaigrette with a little soy sauce and cook them over hot, mesquite charcoal.

My favorite is chili. What makes it mine are chopped Mexican chorizo sausages and bratwurst out of the casings, cumin, sage, dark kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and a couple of hot chili peppers cooked all day in a crock pot.

1474286169[/url]' post='1800344']

[scared].......................Oh My Sweet Lord (w/m by G. Harrison) !!!!

It depends primarily on the quality and the cut of the meat you are going to cook and the special occasion you have in mind.

For instance 10 minutes per side would do just fine if you were going to use the steak to re-sole a highly-cherished army boot.

Alternatively;

Get the very best Fillet Steak you can find. Have slices cut two-and-a-half cm / 1" thick (or so).

Rub with a little olive oil and season lightly.

Sear for 45 - 60 seconds each side in a very hot, dry pan.

Serve simply - and immediately - with hot, buttered extra-fine green beans and a glass of decent Haut-Medoc.

You're welcome.

Pip.

Really? Wow I had no idea it cooked that fast. I never cook steak but do love fillet out and about. Can't remember where I had the last one, might of been the Outback steak house and the wife treated me there. Think it was medium done. Very good. My son loves them rare but not me.

Really? Wow I had no idea it cooked that fast. I never cook steak but do love fillet out and about............My son loves them rare but not me.

Well, Retired, I was just having a little bit of fun (so thanks for not taking umbridge) and a fillet is a very different story to most cuts of beef but I was also being serious; a good fillet of beef really does need only a passing acquaintance with the stove and more than one minute per side would, without a doubt, absolutely ruin the meat.

A really good fillet ("No ****, Sherlock!", I know; but they really do vary from cow to cow) should be so tender it could be eaten with a blunt spoon.

If you prefer them more 'Medium' then, of course, adjust cooking time accordingly.

Other cuts of beef, stating the obvious, will benefit from slower, cooler cooking. For a really nice Boeuf Bourguignon (f'rinstance) the chunks benefit from several hours of low temp. care. My(*) "Beef in Guinness and Cheddar Pie", for example, requires at least five hours' cooking for the meat to achieve the correct level of tenderness.

If you ever get across here I'd love to serve you up a nice fillet to see what you think of it!

Pip.

(*) For "My" read "Jamie Oliver's"....

Im a well done meat type of guy.. Don't like blood in my food.....

I know a lot of people say its sacrilege but I just don't like the taste of it, I can handle it more when the meat is still a bit pink in the middle, but certainly not red.. And I have tried many times (cos people always moan at me about it) but its not for me... Ive even been refused by restaurants when I have asked for a certain cuts of meat well done...

Thanks for the information Dennis and Pip. I've never been a steak cook. That and chicken I can never tell when it's done. Over 20 some years ago I was a big fan of steaks but when I went through those cancer drugs, I couldn't tolerate the fat and grissel and steak made me sick. So I stopped eating it. I found the Fillet doesn't bother me and I can eat the whole cut of meat so fillet is the only steak I will eat. The rest of the steaks always give me bad stomach aches. I watched the video Dennis put up and I learned some things and wrote them down. Now I would like to get a charcoal grill and try one. They said not to use gas and that's what I have. So it sounds like I cook it to 130% F =medium rare and take it off the grill and wrap it in aluminum foil and let it sit 10 minutes and it still is cooking and may reach 140% =medium. That's still plenty pink inside. Learn something new every day.msp_thumbup.gif

1474321131[/url]' post='1800433']

Im a well done meat type of guy.. Don't like blood in my food.....

I know a lot of people say its sacrilege but I just don't like the taste of it, I can handle it more when the meat is still a bit pink in the middle, but certainly not red.. And I have tried many times (cos people always moan at me about it) but its not for me... Ive even been refused by restaurants when I have asked for a certain cuts of meat well done...

That's the way I was too Rabs. Always got them well down and caught heck by the restraints too. They always tried to talk me out of well done. And I never eat the fat, gross. I've watched my son eat the whole thing, fat grissle and all. Blood too, he gets them very rare. Not when he was little but that's what the Navy did to him. He eats far more stuff now. But a trip to South Dakota and eating a bison fillet once changed my tune. Again they refused to cook it well done and gave me a history lesson that buffalo and cow were very different and well done would absolutely ruin the fillet. So the wife and I gave in and got it medium because I refused anything rare. And I was impressed. That bison fillet was the best meat I ever had in my life. So I started medium after that and to me it's more reddish then pink but it seems to cut so much more easy and chew. I hate chewing a piece of meat over and over and over again, makes my jaw sore and tired.

Yeah I go medium rare for steak too. I eat fillet but find it lacks taste unless you wrap it in bacon or smother it in mushroom gravy.

My preference is for a good porterhouse but it must be cooked on a hot fire to get the caramelisation....lots of taste! A rib eye is also a treat though far too expensive here for me to have often.

It's important to rest steak (all meat) after cooking to allow it to take up the juices again.

Oh yeah, I don't eat fat either.

And I will just add..

Its seems that pretty much anything tastes better when its done on a BBQ :)

Unless it's 10 minutes a side.

Rabs bro, maybe I will just wave at you on my way to Pippy's for a steak done proper.

I do like a filet but I like more fat in my steaks so maybe he will do me up a nice rib or a nice thick new york cut.

Mmmmmmm

Let's cleanse our palates from all this discussion of grilling steaks (best grilled at right around two minutes a side, and then on a very hot fire, a properly-dry-rubbed-steak, and then only from room-temperature).

Here is a recipe for THE VERY BEST BREAKFAST PBJ SANDWICH EVER.

Make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Leave it open-face for a minute.

Layer banana slices onto the peanut butter faces.

Drizzle with local bee honey.

(optional: sprinkle crisp bacon bits onto all)

Close it up.

Whip up an egg, some vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a bowl.

Dunk the sandwich in there, and coat both sides.

(just like you are making French Toast, get it?)

Drop the sandwich onto a hot skillet with some sizzling butter or olive oil on it.

Fry the sandwich just like you are making French Toast.

Get it nice and brown on the edges, and the set it on the serving plate.

Dollop some Cool Whip on there, and drizzle more honey over all.

Eat, enjoy, and then brag to all your friends about what a super breakfast sammich you made!!

[woot] :unsure: :mellow: [scared]

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I DO NOT EAT SUCH THINGS. I RESPECT MY BODY TOO MUCH. AND THIS SORT OF THING ISN'T ON MY DIET. BUT IT SURE WOULD BE GOOD FOR VISITING RELATIVES AND KIDS AND GRAND-KIDS.

...That bison fillet was the best meat I ever had in my life. So I started medium after that and to me it's more reddish then pink but it seems to cut so much more easy and chew. I hate chewing a piece of meat over and over and over again, makes my jaw sore and tired...

If we are talking about frying steaks as a general rule the longer the meat is cooked the chewier and tougher it gets. 'Well-done' will be the toughest, chewiest steak you could possibly ask for. I understand why some folks don't like rare steaks but the rarer the steak the softer/more tender it will be - hence my mention of 45-60 seconds per side earlier. Cooked for this length of time a good cut will be no more chewy than a strawberry...

...A rib eye is also a treat though far too expensive here for me to have often.

It's important to rest steak (all meat) after cooking to allow it to take up the juices again.

Oh yeah, I don't eat fat either.

Pricey? yes. We usually don't have fillet more than twice a month.

There is a fantastic butcher 5 mins. up the road but, understandably, good meat costs more. Their fillet is £45 per kilo - roughly $30 / lb. Still; cheaper than 'eating-out'...

Searing fillet at a very high heat for so little time means that no appreciable quantity of juice can escape and subsequently there is no need to let it rest.

Fillet is unusual (for a cut of beef) in that it should have no fat nor any gristle at all. I hate fatty meat done on its own which is why I never have a steak which is not fillet. Marbled beef (IMO) is best used in casseroles / pie fillings etc. where slow cooking is the key and the marbling helps to tenderise the meat.

Pip.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm real good at opening a can of Bean with Bacon Campbell soup, microwave it and boy is it yummy! Lol msp_flapper.gif add a teaspoon of butter and sprinkle a little pepper in. Would love to learn how to cook chicken and dumplings. One of my favorite meals but don't know how to make it.

Now that Mum has gone I have to learn how to make wine trifle. I'm not big on dessert but just love that stuff.

We were at a community casserole night recently and there was a trifle to die for....I bloody loved it! I had 3 helpings, bugger the blood sugar!

I found out who made it and offered to marry her but she suggested that we mightn't need to go that far, and that I could visit and have some....Grin~

Next time we have people for a meal I'm gonna have a go at making one.

YUM!!

Archived