Gibson Brands Forums

The 25 Greatest Acoustic Songs in Hard Rock

onewilyfool

In other words, an oxymoron.
But ok, let's play. Do all of these songs actually have a prominent acoustic part, as opposed to being layered on the track? Missing in action: Every Picture Tells a Story, Maggie Mae, Gasoline Alley, Old Raincoat wont let You Down (Rod and Woody had a knack for this). What, no Fabs? (those J160z got a lot of play). Allman Bros? (Revival, Midnight Rider, Melissa---ok, strumming, but still, right in the thick of it). Bluebird (Springfield) Hotel California? Willin? Heart? (not my bag, but come on. Boys club).

An interesting idea, but man to me that list pretty much missed the mark on what would be sufficiently acoustic, and plenty of the song choices too.

In the spirit of it needing to be Hard Rock bands only as a qualifier, I'd offer up a couple:

For the Gibson fans: [thumbup]

And a mix with electric for sure, but I'd say sufficient acoustic content:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1tp4srXRZDI

I tried to go through the list but the pop up commercials were too much for me. I gave up after the second page.

It was already apparent to me that whoever wrote this list was probably not even alive during the 60's.

Rock as I know it started in the 50's with some historians crediting songs from the 30's and 40's.

I would like it better if they divided these list by the decades and not do a Best Ever since most younger critics do not have an appreciation of the songs as they were presented at their time in Rock History.

Archived