Gibson Brands Forums

Where Do You Stand On......?

Digger

I am pro goanna; so much so that I'm incubating a clutch of Dumeril's Monitor eggs on the dining room table as I write this.

They're wonderful animals.

P.S.

I'm really looking forward to them hatching out as my a$$ fell asleep from sitting on the eggs about a week ago.

mom1.jpg

Chuckle~

Where do I stand on a Goanna?

Certainly not the tail.

I don't stand anywhere on them. I get the hell out of there fast Rob!

I'm with Brad on this one. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that friggin' thing! Even small geckos are no friends of mine let alone something the size of that thing. Guess I'm just not a reptile person.

I'm with Brad on this one. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that friggin' thing! Even small geckos are no friends of mine let alone something the size of that thing. Guess I'm just not a reptile person.

What was I supposed to do, I was trapped on the end of a narrow jetty and I didn't mind him having my lunch but he damn well wasn't getting my bait!

Anyway you live in this country you have to toughen up a bit!

1474245305[/url]' post='1800258']

What was I supposed to do, I was trapped on the end of a narrow jetty and I didn't mind him having my lunch but he damn well wasn't getting my bait!

Anyway you live in this country you have to toughen up a bit!

You have to be a Big Boy like you say! And that monitor lizard Is a Big Boy! That would scare most folks but like you say, the U.S. has many scary bad dangerous things too.the media here doesn't tell you much about anything but gun shooting though, it must be their favorite thing to talk about. I would love to see a Komodo Dragon in person. Guess they found fossils there but live on Komodo Dragon island. Isn't that way North East of Australia ? I remember Steve Erwin messing with those things. Thought I was going to watch an episode where he gets eaten alive. Lol

image.jpg1_zpsbyo1ozur.jpg

Look at that poor critters face, turned his head so he doesn't see it coming but he knows he is doomed!

1474260022[/url]' post='1800289']

Now those things I don't like!

Those dragons are found on the island of Komodo in the Indonesian archipelago. to the north of us.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure where the island was in comparison. What would you have done if one came on that deck that day if they were native to Australia. Thank God their not because they will eat man if they want and you blokes can't conceal carry

!image.jpg2_zpsohg70mze.jpg

Perhaps I can put this in perspective.

The difference between an adult Lace Monitor (like the one Digger encountered) and a Komodo Dragon is like the difference between a small black bear and an adult grizzly.

You can yell and swat one with a broom for knocking over your garbage can, the other one will knock the broom out of your hand and eat you.

Monitors can get pretty large but the only one that's actually going to attack you is the Komodo Dragon, the rest usually run when they encounter humans unless people have trained them that people equal free food.

Perhaps I can put this in perspective.

The difference between an adult Lace Monitor (like the one Digger encountered) and a Komodo Dragon is like the difference between a small black bear and an adult grizzly.

You can yell and swat one with a broom for knocking over your garbage can, the other one will knock the broom out of your hand and eat you.

Monitors can get pretty large but the only one that's actually going to attack you is the Komodo Dragon, the rest usually run when they encounter humans unless people have trained them that people equal free food.

They are a big tourism item on that island and people travel there just to see the dragons. I imagine they do get fed and we all know where that can lead.

Digger,

I'm sure you're aware that the Komodos have a taste for German tourists.

If not, one of them got winded and told the group he'd catch up with them after a bit.

They found some blood where he was resting and that was it.

From zookeepers who have worked with the species they say that even right out of the egg they have an "I can take you" attitude.

Perhaps we taste like pork roast?

Time to go feed my baby Savannah monitors, they eat crickets like there's no tomorrow.

Digger,

I'm sure you're aware that the Komodos have a taste for German tourists.

If not, one of them got winded and told the group he'd catch up with them after a bit.

They found some blood where he was resting and that was it.

From zookeepers who have worked with the species they say that even right out of the egg they have an "I can take you" attitude.

Perhaps we taste like pork roast?

Time to go feed my baby Savannah monitors, they eat crickets like there's no tomorrow.

It must be the sauerkraut they like?

Grin~

This happened several years ago when my ex Brother in Law was running the LA Zoo. I have to laugh at the part where Sharon Stone says she doesn't blame the zoo or staff because a few weeks later they filed a lawsuit against the zoo. Mind you, Bronstein had specifically asked to go into the small enclosure:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93137&page=1

This happened several years ago when my ex Brother in Law was running the LA Zoo. I have to laugh at the part where Sharon Stone says she doesn't blame the zoo or staff because a few weeks later they filed a lawsuit against the zoo. Mind you, Bronstein had specifically asked to go into the small enclosure:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93137&page=1

You shouldn't have to protect people from their own stupidity but the zoo is at fault for allowing him in there! They are certainly liable as they were in charge and allowed it to happen.

If he got away without infection then he was lucky because Komodo's are well known for having a toxic bite. Not venomous but certainly containing a lot of bad bacteria. It may be that the food they receive in the zoo is a lot cleaner that that they scrounge in the wild?

Interesting thanks Dennis.

The tour was arranged as a Father's Day surprise for Bronstein, who had always wanted to see a Komodo dragon up close.

That's probably a little bit closer than he actually meant...

And here comes the big surprise, CHOMP!

No, not really. He was pretty adamant that he be allowed into the cage (remmber, I have inside info), and this was a "no win" situation for either side. If the Zoo said no, they were a$$holes, if they said yes, the were a$$holes. Remember, at the time this happened, one S Stone was the queen of H'wood. Not defending anyone here on either side, just sayin', ya know? And yeah, you've got to be somewhat of an idiot to go into a small enclosure with an large reptile known to attack.

1474318823[/url]' post='1800420']

It must be the sauerkraut they like?

Grin~

When we were on our honeymoon Deb and I took a tour around the island of Oahu and the Hawaiin bus driver pointed out some No Swimming signs. Great White Shark sightings. He warned us that all should observe the warnings because Great White Sharks loved white meat but Hawaiians could swim there because they hated dark meat. Everyone on the bus all hollered: Ohhhhhh. Lol

1474325266[/url]' post='1800456']

The tour was arranged as a Father's Day surprise for Bronstein, who had always wanted to see a Komodo dragon up close.

That's probably a little bit closer than he actually meant...

And here comes the big surprise, CHOMP!

Obviously not a smart man. Or the zoo. Like saying, Heh throw me in that hungry great white shark pool so I can see one really close or I want to get in the lions den.

I meant the teeth into the foot was probably closer than he expected the encounter to go.

I think cobras are pretty cool but I wouldn't ask if I could go into their enclosure! They stay on that side of the glass, I stay here and everybody's happy.

That guy was was lucky to get out in one piece.

Archived