Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
darling67

ES-339 P90 Pro

Hey all!

I love my Epi ES-339 P90 Pro—it's a favorite guitar in my line-up. However, it has an annoying issue that no other guitar I own does:

The high E string slips off the edge of the fretboard when I execute a pull-off. I have to tune the string way down, to loosen it, in order to get the string back in-line on the fretboard. Would suck big time if that happened during a gig! [scared]

Anyone else have this issue with either a 339 or 339 P90? Is this just a matter of putting heavier gauge strings on her? I typically use light gauge... 10's, depending on the string manufacturer.

Thanks!

Does it get stuck under a fret?

Yeah, I guess that is the crux of the matter. Thus the string being stuck. Do the fret ends need to be filed-down?

Thanks!

Yeah, I guess that is the crux of the matter. Thus the string being stuck. Do the fret ends need to be filed-down?

Thanks!

Yes, a string should not be able to wedge under a fret, regardless of the gauge. It's not an uncommon problem but a luthier could do a check on your frets for proper seating as well as the protruding end(s). Sometimes it's possible to humidify the guitar until the neck expands to re-seat the fret ends if it was caused by low humidity after manufacture and storage.

If filing is required, unless you have a little experience and the tools, you and your guitar will benefit from a tech's attention. I'm also sure that a good tech would be happy to discuss the issue and solution(s) thereby turning this into a learning experience. This is not too serious an issue so don't fret (pun alert) about it. :)

Yes, a string should not be able to wedge under a fret, regardless of the gauge. It's not an uncommon problem but a luthier could do a check on your frets for proper seating as well as the protruding end(s). Sometimes it's possible to humidify the guitar until the neck expands to re-seat the fret ends if it was caused by low humidity after manufacture and storage.

If filing is required, unless you have a little experience and the tools, you and your guitar will benefit from a tech's attention. I'm also sure that a good tech would be happy to discuss the issue and solution(s) thereby turning this into a learning experience. This is not too serious an issue so don't fret (pun alert) about it. :)

Thanks! I'll bring her in to my guy to have a look...

... and pun totally appreciated! [laugh]