Gibson Brands Forums

LES PAUL OWNERSHIP DEMOGRAPHIC SURVEY

Lunatic

As Bence and Farns have both suggested this poll tells you no more than the age of forumites who are Les Paul owners on this day.

Ess says "Predictably... comfortably off baby boomers.".

I know this poll is just a bit of fun but perhaps it would have been more informative had we also been asked "At what age did you first buy a Les Paul?".

I got my first LP (s/h) over 30 years ago when I was a dirt-poor student in my early 20s. which is hardly a comfortably-off Baby-Boomer.

P.

In 1985 (age 25) I traded a 1955 ES-295 with amateur refinish, a 1960s Epiphone Cortez, and a basket case '67 Fender Coronado for a wine red 1980 LP Standard with DiMarzios. I kept it about a month before trading it for a 1950s Hofner Committee archtop.

Many dumb moves over the course of 30 days.

I know this poll is just a bit of fun but perhaps it would have been more informative had we also been asked "At what age did you first buy a Les Paul?".

#1 1975 (A deluxe gold top) I was 18.

#2 1995, I was 38...

#3 2003, I was 46

I still have #2 and #3

In 1985 (age 25) I traded a 1955 ES-295 with amateur refinish, a 1960s Epiphone Cortez, and a basket case '67 Fender Coronado for a wine red 1980 LP Standard with DiMarzios. I kept it about a month before trading it for a 1950s Hofner Committee archtop.

Many dumb moves over the course of 30 days.

Get my new book, How to Turn $1 Million in Real Estate into $200 Cash!

I have plenty of horrible deals in my past. Hopefully not too many in the future.

I'm 51 and just got my first Gibson LP a month ago. Two Epi LPs a year ago.

Hello.

What is Your research is about?

When You ask the age of Les Paul owners, it is also interesting for how long they are owning these instruments.

Bence.

It's not really research. More curiosity. Length of ownership didn't occur to me. Next poll perhaps.

On reflection, you are right. This is what I should have asked. Poll modified. Thanks

What happened?

By my calculation my original reply (where I wrote the 'I know this poll is just a bit of fun......(etc)..." ' line quoted by kidblast) should appear at what is now the post 6 1/2 stage?

I've checked my 'Posts' history in my profile page and it's been wiped clear.

Most curious..........................:-k

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

So we've changed the question entirely after people started answering, half the answers being of one question and half being of another. That's on top of the points made previously. Not complaining, just curious as to what can be achieved here. Not even satisfying the curiosity factor now since there's no knowing who answered what question or if some changed their answer.

FWIW I changed my answer to fit the new question.

I did change mine too.

This is the question I was trying to suggest. It makes more sense. The current age of Les Paul owners is insignificant, as once You get a Les Paul, You'll always have one. More interesting at which age people bought their first Les Paul guitar, and when was that. These two questions together would tell a lot.

Bence.

I've changed my vote, too.

Actually the two questions - 'How Old...Bought First?' and 'How Old...Now?' - are sort-of interesting when taken together. They could even be complemented by a third question; 'Have you always owned a LP since buying your first?' which might show how loyal / set in their ways / stubborn in the face of Modernisation LP owners are in their predilections...

Not that I'm trying to give Lunatic even more work to do!....

Pip.

Adapted my vote to the altered question, too.

What happened?

By my calculation my original reply (where I wrote the 'I know this poll is just a bit of fun......(etc)..." ' line quoted by kidblast) should appear at what is now the post 6 1/2 stage?

Pip.

Now that's spooky! [scared]

What happened?

Pip.

Seems to be back again. Ksdaddy obviously restored it! [thumbup]

Exactly as I said... and just as in the survey, I wasn't referring to when you bought your first LP.

Not wanting to start a bunfight, Ess, but that depends on whether or not the 25 people who voted have subsequently reviewed - and possibly amended - their votes.

When I 'corrected' my vote this morning after the re-jig of the poll's question there were 8 in my old group. My departure left seven. There are still seven names in that group.

Might they not wish to amend their selections, too?

I'm not saying the result won't highlight comfortably-off Baby-Boomers - it might well be so - but at the moment it's difficult to know the true state of affairs.

[smile]

P.

My answer would remain aged 10 -20, but does this poll include Epi's and/ or other LP copies?

Back in 1996 aged 12 my parents bought me an Epiphone LP 100. My first electric guitar that I had been after for a year or 2.

In 1998 aged 14 I saved up money from a paper route and went 1/3 with my parents to get a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

In 2003 aged 19 I worked in a kitchen for a couple of years and bought myself a Les Paul Classic 1960 from my own earnings.

I still own all these guitars, plus many others now including the ES 5, ES 175 and L5 in my avatar/ profile pic [smile]

I've changed my vote, too.

Actually the two questions - 'How Old...Bought First?' and 'How Old...Now?' - are sort-of interesting when taken together. They could even be complemented by a third question; 'Have you always owned a LP since buying your first?' which might show how loyal / set in their ways / stubborn in the face of Modernisation LP owners are in their predilections...

Not that I'm trying to give Lunatic even more work to do!....

Pip.

No more polls from me! Excellent feedback / commentary nonetheless.

I got my 1st LP in 1985 - was 21 at the time. It was a '78 (I think) Black Beauty, 3 PUPs (middle PUP may have been added by previous owner), white scratch plate & moulded plastic flight case. Ended up selling it same year to eat & pay rent. Back in those days I was eating once a day and drinking lots of water to stay full (not looking for sympathy - just a statement of cold fact). I now have a 1990 35th Anniversary, a 2013 Standard AAA top and a 1956 Reissue Goldtop with P90s. All this and I still sook for my first. I still think about if there was a way I could have paid the bills without having had to sell her - answer is always NO. Could have borrowed money I suppose but that wasn't in me then, and still not in me now. Too proud? More like too embarrassed to even ask. I keep looking for her and just maybe one day, we will meet again. Those moulded cases were the absolute BOMB! Need a lie down now.

Archived