Gibson Brands Forums

achieving slash's tone with line 6 spider 3 and les paul studio>?

slasher1319

To be honest, you're going to be much better off trying to find your own tone rather than try and copy his - because on that amp, it won't happen. I'm pretty sure the Spider III amp has a GnR setting, right? Perhaps even a couple of them? I've fooled around w/those amps a couple of times and I remember the presets not being anywhere close to authentic. I'd try finding a preset that you like and then make adjustments from there (doesn't necessarily have to be one of the GnR settings...try them all).

Well your already screwed for the bridge position because you have an Alnico 5, and he uses 2.

Second, you probably don't have Slash's fingers, which is the biggest part of his tone.

Third, you have a Solid State amp, he's always tube

but this is what I would do...

EQ with your bass at 7, mids dimed, treble at like 4-5

keep your gain at about 6, now the tricky part is trying to get power tube distortion without power tubes, I'm gonna leave that one up to you...

good luck

well thanks to all who replied but i think it might be easier to get a marshall possibly change my pickups' date=' but thanks still[/quote']

If you opt to go with a Marshall, be sure to make it a tube amp. I wouldn't bother switching from a solid state Line 6 to a solid state Marshall - it still won't get you the desired results.

If you opt to go with a Marshall' date=' be sure to make it a tube amp. I wouldn't bother switching from a solid state Line 6 to a solid state Marshall - it still won't get you the desired results. [/quote']

+1

A Vintage Modern 2466 or a JCM800... He uses both those amps at the moment... Oh and some SD pro II pickups..

Flight959

Sorry for taking this long.

A marshall and new pickups?

Thats bullshit... I saw slash playing with a kitty squier through a fender frontman and he sounded the same.

I played a slash sig through a marshall jubilee whatever and sounded like me...

But those multi fx ampsand units are really good at getting any given tone, once you master them, which not many people do in their lifes.

I guess you should start by trying to get his sound/tone on your head, then get YOUR tone in your amp... then you cn begin taking on other people's tones, regardless of the guitar, amp or pickups that you are using.

Ive seen many peolpe nail slash's tone with epis and ss amps... I have done it myself, and I really (sorry guys) hate it when people tells you up front "to sound like slash you need his amp and giutar, and pickups and strap"... hell no, you need good ear and a decent setup.

When we do as above guys, we encourage people to go out and spend 10s of thousands on signature stuff and then they wonder why they still sound like themselves, so please dont.

Archived