Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul pickup question.

LarryUK

e47d1935-322c-4565-99e9-6be95cde1eeb_zps2gtplmxr.jpg

I know I could Google this, but I trust this site better. I've been playing my Les Paul Lite and it sounds muddy. I've taken the backplate off and without doubt it was the first time it had ever been off. The pickups are 496R neck and 500T bridge. I've got a micrometer and wondered what I check? What should the pickups be and pots?

Those are a pretty hot set.

Gibson 496R (Ceramic) Around 8.5kΩ

Gibson 500T (Ceramic) 14 – 15kΩ

I had the same set in a LP 1960 Classic. They were great for heavy stuff. The 500T is killer for pinch harmonics. But I don't like hot pickups much, so I got rid of them. The Duncan Pearly Gates I replaced them with sounded much better in that guitar.

I'd say if you want them to be clearer, you should lower them as much as possible.

Muddy pickups basically need to be replaced. I second the Pearly Gates suggestion. I am using Pearly Gates in my Standard now. I replaced a muddy set of 490.498 in my Studio for the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded set and that ended the muddy complaints totally. Pearly Gates and Hot Rodded sets will definitely clean up muddiness. The Duncans cost far less than PGs.

There are lots of different pickups in my guitars including several "hotties" like Dirty Fingers Plus, 490R, 496R, and 498T. Honestly, I have yet to find one sounding muddy as such. Depending on strings, adjustments, settings, and playing style, lots of pickups can make an amp sound muddy, but this is a completely different thing.

For instance, even Dirty Fingers Pluses are tight and clean as can be proven easily by playing them through a full-range acoustic guitar system. On the other hand, a BurstBucker 1 is also capable of pushing a valve/tube input stage into overload through grid current draw, and that will alter the sound in a manner unwanted by most players.

Archived