Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbuilt Century line

Michael Gorman

who ever is managing this line of instruments and their distribution to the general public is doing a poor job of it.

just let them go and see if they will sell or not. its like your trying to brainwash me in advance so I will use it

the way you think it should be used. just let it go and see what happens. if it requires that much pre conditioning of

the customer its kind of odd. that seems to be the way the world is going these days anyway. get over yourself and sell the guitar.

who ever is managing this line of instruments and their distribution to the general public is doing a poor job of it.

just let them go and see if they will sell or not. its like your trying to brainwash me in advance so I will use it

the way you think it should be used. just let it go and see what happens. if it requires that much pre conditioning of

the customer its kind of odd. that seems to be the way the world is going these days anyway. get over yourself and sell the guitar.

Sweetwater and Musician's Friend have some in stock. maybe you're not quick enough to snag one or shopping at the wrong store?

What?

If I am getting you right I think you mean all the hype. I keep getting emails from Epiphone and they are bombarding YouTube with videos of the century archtops. Sometimes when you want to take a look at a newly released. guitar it's almost impossible to see one in use or find a review. For instance the AJ 45me which was announced then seemed to vanish from the face of the earth for almost a year.

Sometimes when you want to take a look at a newly released. guitar it's almost impossible to see one in use or find a review.

Ain't it the truth. When the Collings Waterloos were released it took many months to finally get one in my hands. Darn things were already sold before they ever hit the store.

If I am getting you right I think you mean all the hype. I keep getting emails from Epiphone and they are bombarding YouTube with videos of the century archtops. Sometimes when you want to take a look at a newly released. guitar it's almost impossible to see one in use or find a review. For instance the AJ 45me which was announced then seemed to vanish from the face of the earth for almost a year.

If that's what he's complaining about then it's an utterly bizarre comment. After investing a huge amount of money in design,development and setting up a production line, not to mention the risk in resurrecting a type of guitar that hasn't been in vogue for 70 odd years, Epiphone shouldn't then try and market it? "just let them go and see if they will sell or not" is not a good blueprint for a successful business.

If you don't want to hear about Epiphone products it's really not that difficult to unsubscribe from the emails and nobody is forcing you to watch anything on YouTube.

Perhaps the new guitars from the Masterbilt Century Collection are not available in your region yet. As far as I know though, you can already get them in the States and most of the major European countries without problems.

• 1 month later...

DAMN, those look HOT!!!

My first guitar was an f-holed archtop. It was given to me, and for good reason...the neck needed to be reset so badly it would not stay in tune beyond the 5th fret. I must have given it away because I no longer own it, but for the life of me I can't remember where it went.

I looked on Sweetwater...they are mid-priced, verging on affordable...and they gave me GAS with their cool vintage look and great sound (being juiced up at the factory is an added plus).

Cheers to Epiphone for this series!!!

Dugly

I was hoping to read in this thread that someone has actually tried one of them :(

I'm very interested in the Deluxe Classic ($899) but once you add the hardcase it's over a grand & I'm not dropping a thousand dollars out on anything I can't put my hands on first. [-X

At the risk of being the equivalent of a fart in an aqualung I will say that after trying a De Luxe Classic model both acoustically and plugged in I cannot express much enthusiasm for it. Everyone's different and I don't have much experience with archtops but both the aesthetics in the way it handles and the sound that I heard left me cool to it.To me it feels too plasticky and the sound was blah. There, I've been a gloomy Gus, but I'm simply being honest in my assessment.I can't say that I've heard ringing endorsements to date either but my opinion is just that-an opinion.

Archtops are certainly not for everyone. And, they sound and play significantly different than a flat top guitar. I've had archtops in my life for 50 years as well as flat-tops in my life for 54...so they don't seem foreign to me within the realm of archtops. I think I referenced in my Olympic review that it's not for everyone...and I would think the same would apply to the Deluxe, also. So your dissatisfaction is understandable in my book.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I was hoping that someone had a review; I'm interested in the larger 2 at the moment (the little one doesn't look like my cup of tea), but there's few reviews, at least that I've found, that prompt me either way.

At the risk of being the equivalent of a fart in an aqualung I will say that after trying a De Luxe Classic model both acoustically and plugged in I cannot express much enthusiasm for it. Everyone's different and I don't have much experience with archtops but both the aesthetics in the way it handles and the sound that I heard left me cool to it.To me it feels too plasticky and the sound was blah. There, I've been a gloomy Gus, but I'm simply being honest in my assessment.I can't say that I've heard ringing endorsements to date either but my opinion is just that-an opinion.

"At the risk of being the equivalent of a fart in an aqualung" [lol]

I appreciate your review especially of this particular model as it's the one I've been jonesing for the most since I saw photos of the Century line. I need another guitar like I need a 2nd belly button so I'm glad to hear someone who has actually played one not make me feel like I have to rush out & get one today. My wallet thanks you as well especially right before the holidays [smile]

That having been said if I could score one for half of what they're selling for I would pick one up. B)

Same experience. Boomy guitars but blah tone and uncomfortable to play.

Archived