Gibson Brands Forums

Raw Aluminium Guitars

Rabs

Seems to be a growing concept - not long ago I was looking at some aluminum guitars from a Long Island, N.Y. manufacturer, Alumisonic - very much along the lines of the ones you show here.

Not sure how I feel about metal guitars, but I try to remain open-minded; they likely will have appeal to conservation-minded guitarists and those just looking for something different. I think I'd have to take one for an extended test drive to form a personal opinion.

I do remember Fender issuing a number of hollow aluminum Stratocasters and Telecasters a couple of decades ago, but I don't think they were very well received, both from a lack of tonal quality and tendency to dent easily.

The guy who's probably best remembered for aluminum guitars is John Veleno - his handmade guitars are collector's items these days. I remember Pete Haycock from Climax Blues Band had a gold-plated one.

It was done 84 years ago

The Frying Pan guitar (1931) from Rickenbacker forerunner Ro-Pat-In was followed up in 1932 with a cast aluminium body and neck version.

This was serious innovation in almost every way

1/ 1st magnetic pick-up (the original invention of the modern pickup)

2/ 1st solid body guitar

3/ Aluminium and bakelite materials used instead of wood in 1932

Yeah, no one is saying its new (what is? [rolleyes] )but it does seem to be making a bit of a come back, and using modern techniques will make it more accessible to more people.

I really like the way the top one is done with shiny binding like edges and patterned matte body... pretty cool look.

Yeah, no one is saying its new (what is? [rolleyes] )but it does seem to be making a but of a come back, and using modern techniques will make it more accessible to more people.

I really like the way the top one is done with shiny binding like edges and patterned matte body... pretty cool look.

Yes. I've been working with aluminium for 36 years. We've never made a guitar from it, but I'd love to!

Even an existing design could be used (reverse engineered in a way). Put a guitar onto a coordinate measuring machine, probe the hell out of it to generate the 5 axis CAD data. Use that in a NC program and mill it out of a solid aluminium billet.

(The body in the 1st link wasnt made like that though)

Yes. I've been working with aluminium for 36 years. We've never made a guitar from it, but I'd love to!

By the way.. Whats the Raw bit about? Was he saying it was a test version and not properly finished.. Or is it a grade of aluminium or something like that?

By the way.. Whats the Raw bit about? Was he saying it was a test version and not properly finished.. Or is it a grade of aluminium or something like that?

Aluminium ('aluminum' in USA) is a proper metal in its own right.

So I presume it is literally aluminium without other metals that are normally used to create alloys. I work with aerospace alloys and its a major cocktail of about a dozen metalics.

Salt corrodes it, so you wouldnt want to take it down the beach on a windy day!

David Gilmour had an aluminum neck guitar which I believe he even recorded with on Dark Side but I can't seem to find any photos or video to back it up. The most notable user may be Steve Albini.

My take is that these things are super cool but usually way expensive for my budget

• 2 weeks later...

Aluminium ('aluminum' in USA) is a proper metal in its own right.

So I presume it is literally aluminium without other metals that are normally used to create alloys. I work with aerospace alloys and its a major cocktail of about a dozen metalics.

Salt corrodes it, so you wouldnt want to take it down the beach on a windy day!

Thought you might like to see this vid they put up.. Demos the guitar and shows some of the build process..

Archived