Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Buc McMaster

Engraved T-Rod Cover........

Anyone know the story of the HUMMINGBIRD engraved truss rod covers seen on some instruments? Was this a Norlin era thing? Was it a "thing" in some other Gibson era? Or was it just one of those once-in-a-while quirks Gibson is famous for? Anyone......?

Buc, I can't answer your question comprehensively, only provide a datapoint -my 2010 H'Bird TV came with it's TRC engraved as such. So, it's not only a Norlin Error Thing !

I don't know either. But I agree it was probably not Norlin-era, though I think more stuff got engraved covers in that era...

I liked the engraved Hummingbird truss rod cover so much, I bought engraved truss covers for my J-15 and J-200 as well, and even my Guild D-20 (which turned out really cool). My WM-00 is stuck with my SJ-200's old cover, though.

I'm curious to know the answer to this as well. My 2016 Bird has the "2016" cover which I don't much care for. I was looking for a "HUMMINGBIRD" cover but can't find a Gibson one for sale -- I was even contemplating buying a used Epiphone cover off ebay, but then saw this thread. A quick search for Hummingbirds from 1962 - 1969 for sale on the internet show none with engraved covers, so I'm guessing it started in the 70s (???). Now I'm thinking I'll just put a plain cover on it.

Don't know the answer Buc, but one of my favorite guitar photos is of a hummingbird taken from above the head stock showing an engraved T=Rod cover.

Maybe he's on this form and will post it