Gibson Brands Forums

Can Kemper save Chappers?

merciful-evans

It came with about 400+ amp models, I have purchased a few from vendors and made some of my own as well. There are over 7,000 free rigs you can download that other users have made, on the Kemper site. You certainly don't need to make your own.

The beauty of a Kemper (and indeed, any amplifier, tube or not) is that you still have to play some decent guitar on the input side in order to make beautiful music on the output side.

It's not like other computer applications like studio auto-tuning and 'vocoding' where no-talent bimbos can become pop stars just because they look pretty and have nice titts.

With the Kemper (or the Fender, or the Marshall), you still have to play some nice guitar bits in order to impress the bartender and the waitresses.

[unsure]

The main issue I have with purchasing something like this is that in the future is will this just become obsolete and a throwaway item or will there be tech's that can repair them/upgrade them when required. I don't know about their warranty but I would imagine it's not for lifetime so consideration needs to be made for after that period.

The main issue I have with purchasing something like this is that in the future is will this just become obsolete and a throwaway item or will there be tech's that can repair them/upgrade them when required. I don't know about their warranty but I would imagine it's not for lifetime so consideration needs to be made for after that period.

If it sounds the way you want it to, how would it become obsolete?

If it sounds the way you want it to, how would it become obsolete?

I mean in terms of tech. Like a pc or tablet becomes slow, inefficient and unreliable over time. No one can fully understand how these would perform over time

Who bought a Fender Cyber-Twin and still owns one? [-(

I've seen Kempers but have no interest in them. I already own all the amps I like so no need to buy something that models them. I'm a soon to be extinct dinosaur so pay no attention to me. :)

If the question is "Which Tech will become obsolete in the future?", I think it's a pretty safe bet to say:

All of it.

None of us are very good at predicting what will be; I'm stuck in the present, so I try to make the best of what I've got, what's available and what I can reasonably afford. :)

I mean in terms of tech. Like a pc or tablet becomes slow, inefficient and unreliable over time. No one can fully understand how these would perform over time

Units using a dedicated, unaltered operating system may become defective like any hardware, but apart from that they always work like they were designed. I use the same amp emulator since 2001, a Behringer V-Amp, and it still works the same as it ever did. In 2002 I added a V-Amp 2 and in 2011 a V-Amp Pro 19" rack unit. To be on the safe side, I change the RAM buffer batteries circa every six years, and that's it.

Who bought a Fender Cyber-Twin and still owns one? [-(

I've seen Kempers but have no interest in them. I already own all the amps I like so no need to buy something that models them. I'm a soon to be extinct dinosaur so pay no attention to me. :)

You can still own all the amps you like, now you can capture those amps exactly as you like and take them all to a gig in a small box. Sure beats lugging around those heavy amps and finding a place to park that rig while you unload all those amps you like. Lol.

The ice age, she be coming. Ha ha

You can still own all the amps you like, now you can capture those amps exactly as you like and take them all to a gig in a small box. Sure beats lugging around those heavy amps and finding a place to park that rig while you unload all those amps you like. Lol.

That is precisely the point made in the vid. Rob had to play a Scandinavian gig and was horrified at the transport costs of his tube rigs.

Lee Anderton was very shaken and fretful about his tube amp stock valued in excess of one million quid

(I have still to see the 2nd vid in its entirety).

Any idea if you can run them in stereo for example plexi on left channel and tweed on the right and then send them to different speakers or pa channels? That would be a feature I think many would find a use for

I genuinely like the idea of a small box that should/will produce tube amp-quality output.

Plug into it, and run a cable from that small box into one of the lines of your PA.

*boom*

Instant extra floor space.

And further, one less opportunity for you to throw your back out with a muscle strain or a blown disc.

The devil is in the details, however.

How to make that small box produce output that sounds like your tube-amp for one.

How to run your effects pedals into or out of it.

How to get the waitress's attention so that she will bring you another beer.

Most of us are creatures of habit.

We like to place our amps just so, and then mic them just right, and drape our cables in a ritual fashion underneath the drummer's kick drum, and so on to the PA and the monitors.

I once played an entire gig, using both acoustic and electric guitars, and ran everything thru one Digitech guitar multi-effects pedal.

I mean, that was it.

No amplifiers.

I wanted to save floor space, and I wanted to minimize the amount of gear I would have to haul into the bar.

I ran one cable from the Digitech to a dedicated line of the PA, and everything worked great and sounded great.

Nobody in the audience knew or cared how I made great guitar sounds, they just appreciated the great guitar sounds.

But I'm a gear head, and an addict.

I have all these guitars, and I collect all these neat-o amplifiers.

And pedals, and more guitars.

And then so another amp.

And so I continue to lug them in, gig after gig, and I mic them, and in the end, I'm not really sure why I continue to do it.

I really may need to reconsider my stage set up.

This Kemper dealeo really seems like it may be the top-of-the-line small box that I could use to get the job done.

And still, here we are, and where is that waitress with my damn beer?

[unsure][crying] :unsure:

For me personally, I have no interest in modeling/profiling, amps. I have my music room full of gear and if I go to play out, I know which one I want to bring, etc.

BUT...........I can see where this would be a very useful tool for some people.

I've known guys who play in backing bands for a different artist every few nights......thousands of amp choices at the push of a button that ACTUALLY sound good..........what a bonus.

The situation chappers speaks of......that one off fly gig..........perfect.

Session players......again, tons of choices in one.

I don't see it replacing tube amps, but I can certainly appreciate it's value for a working musician. I think that fact that you can profile your own actual amp is great for the tone freak in that situation also.

Not for me, but for the person who needs it, a great tool.

NHTom

Any idea if you can run them in stereo for example plexi on left channel and tweed on the right and then send them to different speakers or pa channels? That would be a feature I think many would find a use for

While you can run stereo, you can't run two amp profiles at the same time. You can switch between a Plexi and Tweed or any of the hundreds of other amps, all seamless. You can even have the effects trail over as you switch amps. There is much more you can do with your amps, such as morphing your amp EQ, effects, gain, etc as you play. something you could never do on a vintage style tube amp.

Someone inquired about using your own effects, yes you can do that too. Run them in front or use the effects loop. But there are plenty of effects already and new Reverbs and Delays on the horizon.

I dont need this now, I have the sounds I want with a modest sized rig.

But what is tempting to me is you can continue to refine an existing rig sound in ways that you couldn't with the real thing.

They claim that you can even change pick attack. Most players never even consider that, though it makes a real difference in the final sound.

Interesting.

As it managed to fool both those guys so comprehensibly it must be very good indeed.

The only proper play-time I have had with a modelling amp was an old-tech (relatively speaking) Line 6 Flextone III and it sounded really good to my ears.

If I ever need another amp I doubt I'd choose anything other than a modelling amp.

Pip.

Interesting.

As it managed to fool both those guys so comprehensibly it must be very good indeed.

The only proper play-time I have had with a modelling amp was an old-tech (relatively speaking) Line 6 Flextone III and it sounded really good to my ears.

If I ever need another amp I doubt I'd choose anything other than a modelling amp.

Pip.

I found with the Line 6 POD signal processors that the amp models sounded spot on (so far as I could tell) but that they couldn't 'behave' like a tube amp. There would be no 'sag' or general pick attack response. The Kemper then must be improved in that important respect or those 2 would have spotted it PDQ I reckon.

I found with the Line 6 POD signal processors... that they couldn't 'behave' like a tube amp. There would be no 'sag' or general pick attack response.

The Kemper then must be improved in that important respect or those 2 would have spotted it PDQ I reckon.

I don't doubt you are spot-on, M-E.

On the occasion when I tried the Flextone out 'properly' I was simply so surprised at how good the amp sounded in general it didn't occur to me to evaluate it objectively. I had played a few small modelling amps before all of which sounded a bit gimmicky and cartoon-caricature like in comparison to the 'real' amps they were trying to emulate.

The Line 6, however, just sounded like a really good amp full-stop.

And yes; if both Chappers and the Cap'n were so impressed by the Kemper it must be absolutely top-notch.

Listening to it on my PC's speakers is one thing but for Chappers to have been blown-away by it in the flesh is another matter entirely.

Pip.

Archived