Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Price Hike In Uk. Gibson Prices Holding Steady

brixa

Just noticed another price increase on new Martins at my local authorised dealer in Glasgow, Scotland. That's 2 increases in the last 3 months. My new D35 was £1899 when i bought it in August last year (I got discount off that price). Today the D35 new is £2445 ( a standard D28 is now £2299). That's a helluva increase. In comparison a new J45 is currently £1499 but if you want the 2017 standard pre-order is £1899. Is this across the board or is this Brexit/Dollar against the pound? Hmmm...At least my pride and joys are all up in value as well I suppose.

Probably about 10% accounted for by £ vs $ in the last 2 months or so...

Often, list price is a starting point for a deal so shop around as ever... [thumbup]

There may be stock at older prices...often Gibsons and other brands can be 3 yrs old and considered to be 'new'

V

:-({|=

Similar situation in Australia I thnk. I bought a Martin GPCPA4 for under $AU1,600, a few years back admittedly. Now they sell for around $AU2,600. That's a wacking increase in my opinion. Of course, the exchange rate doesn't help either but it hasn't declined to the extent of the price increases. Same with many other guitars which are imported but there would be many factors I assume which impact on pricing (rents, salary, taxes, etc.)

Probably about 10% accounted for by £ vs $ in the last 2 months or so...

Headed down again... :o

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pound-drops-to-31-year-low-against-dollar-on-brexit-concerns-1475566159

The pound fell to a three-decade low against the dollar on Tuesday, trading below the levels it hit after Britain voted to leave the European Union in June. The currency fell 0.82% to $1.274 reaching almost 15% below where it traded on June 23, the day the U.K. went to the polls.

Archived