Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SC_Wannabe

Replacing the Rotomatics on a Hummingbird

I'm thinking of replacing the Grover Rotomatics in my Hummingbird with some more traditional tulip tuners. Ideally I would like the bottom screw hole to line up with the new tuner so they stay aligned and I only have to drill one new hole. I know if I go with Grover vintage style tulip tuners the holes will line up, but I like the rounded backs on the Gotoh tuners better than the square-backed Grovers. Does anyone know if the bottom hole on these will line up?

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Gotoh_Vintage_Keystone-style_3and3_Tuning_Machines.html

Also these Klusons look really nice. Does anyone know if the bottom holes on these will line up?

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Kluson_Waffleback_Guitar_Machines.html

I did the change on a previous Standard I had a few years back. I think I used these Grovers. They nut on like the Rotos in the same hole size but only one of the backside screws lines up on an existing hole. I did not drill for the new hole.........not much point since the things are bolted to the headstock......they ain't going anywhere. If you use a Gotoh or some other brand that does not nut on like Grovers it will be necessary to use bushings to get the post holes sized right.

And for my money, those wafflebacks are butt ugly.......and being cast likely just as heavy as the Rotomatics you have now. And these would require bushings. And would also leave those raccoon eyes around the posts......the bushing flange is smaller than the washer used under the Rotos nut. But it is your guitar and if those appeal to you, get 'em!

I have a spare set of tulips. I took them off an older southern jumbo true vintage i had. I am not sure of the brand, except to say they were original equipment on the 2013 SJTV.

They are yours if you want them. just pay the shipping...

Thanks much for the offer Sal. Sending you a PM...

Buc - To each his own, no accounting for taste, etc. I guess I've just got a soft spot for wafflebacks.

Buc - To each his own, no accounting for taste.....

True dat! Be advised that Sal's keystones (likely Gotohs......pretty sure that's what Gibson uses) will require a set of bushings from StewMac. Headstocks drilled for Rotos have a much larger hole than those drilled for press-in collars, which is what those from Sal's SJTV are. The only "no extras" fit is the Grover keystones.

G'luck and whatever you do - enjoy your new guitar! [cool]

You'll also note the StewMac page for each tuner has the measurements between screw holes (among other dimensions) so that might give you some indication of whether you'll need to drill new holes.