Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner Photos with Different Capos

BluesKing777

I took some iPhone photos for a thread on UMGF about the TC, of my Martin 000-17 with TC Electronics Polytune on the headstock and changing 3 capos. (Strings 2 weeks old).

Highly unscientific with no controls etc, but it shows what my ears tell me! (hard to take photos with phone while holding guitar and plucking too!)

Open string Deep E tuned to D - perfectly in tune with all green:

CapoD1_zpsw6xurtfl.jpg

Then with Shubb Deluxe capo right on the 2nd fret - perfectly in tune E:

CapoShubb_zpsoyzifp9h.jpg

Then I put my G7 Performance 2 Capo on the same - 2nd fret - tuner goes red to show note E is a bit sharp:

CapoG7P2_zpsjblxqspq.jpg

Then I put the Kyser capo on the same fret - even sharper:

CapoKyser_zps6ojgehpv.jpg

Shubb rules!!!!

BluesKing777.

So you have UMGF on the computer in the background? Not us?

Really?

Really?

With all the lies that bluesguy told

into our home, with all of them rolled.

we knew his ways. Knew he was bold.

but none of us thought he'd be actually that cold.

Actually that cold.... Whoaaaa bum bum be do do wo wop......

Kind of excited about this one:

http://www.g7th.com/heritage-capos.aspx

Somewhere on facebook is a video explaining the new concept, but essentially, underneath the 'arm' that presses on the strings is a gelatinous blobby material that will allow the arm to conform to the exact radius of the fretboard.

Available later this month, I believe. BK, you'll be our tester, right?? :)

So basically one capo has a stiffer spring than another, which pulls the strings sharper, or you just don't have the capo that pulls sharp placed properly. Even a Kyser capo can be placed so that it wont pull sharp without having to retune, it just takes a little more fidgeting. Get the capo right over the fret and it wont pull sharp. Sometimes I actually prefer a capo that pulls sharp because of the stiffer spring and i'll just retune because I bend notes, and with a capo with a weaker spring you'll bend a note and the entire string will move under the capo, which isn't ideal.

£129 !!!!

Yeah, kind of ridiculous. Kind of trying to reinvent the wheel for no real reason to. It's like someone inventing something for a problem you didn't even know existed until they tell you it exists. I'ok take my $15 Shubb any day of the week and keep the rest of the money in my pocket.

I can only come up with three reasons why this would happen; different pressure on the strings, uneven pressure on the strings, different placement on the strings. I'm pretty sure you took care of the last, so it must be pressure related, or?

I use a Dunlop capo with a wheel to adjust the tension. I think it works well. I adjust it as close to the fret as possible and with the minimum amount of tension needed for the strings to sound nice and clear.

Lars

Kind of excited about this one:

http://www.g7th.com/heritage-capos.aspx

Somewhere on facebook is a video explaining the new concept, but essentially, underneath the 'arm' that presses on the strings is a gelatinous blobby material that will allow the arm to conform to the exact radius of the fretboard.

Available later this month, I believe. BK, you'll be our tester, right?? :)

Capo looks nice, but I think the silicone padding could be a disaster waiting to happen for any nitro finish. I would never dare to let it sit on a guitar for very long. I learned my lesson after a Kyser soundhole humidifier (the round rubber kind that covers the soundhole) melted the finish on one of my guitars a few years back. It's a pity when a device made for the sole purpose of protecting a guitar, ends up being responsible for damaging it.

Lars

As the old guy I use to work for would probably say: "Capos we have plenty, BK, money not enough!"

But we might try the new one if it ever gets here. Spring a leak in the silicone, Lars? Where have I heard thst before? [confused]

And I thought about putting my expensive Elliot Elite brass finish capo to the tuner test, but it cost me to much to want to know!

Anyway, my Shubb Deluxe is the only capo that I put on without doing any fiddling - just works great how I place it - and the only very minor complaint I have about it is sometimes adjusting the knurled adjustment screw hurts my soft left thumb. This is made up for many times over by being the only capo that lets me do a large string bend and return..... I think the Shubb rubber piece is pretty good at forming around different and odd necks - Shubb claim it works like your finger and skin, don't they?

BluesKing777.

P.S. Sal, I was a UMGF member long before I had even heard Gibson acoustics had a forum too! First thing I have ever got to join for free! Except then they talked me into buying a Martin or two...... then I found and joined this forum and bought a Gibson acoustic, or two [smile] Not that free then.

Some of the Korg tuners have a 'capo' setting....

might be worth finding out about....

My Peterson clip has that setting. All it does is translate the actual capo-ed notes to the standard EADGBE based on what fret you tell it the capo is on. In other words, it's just a convenience that always identifies the string by it open note. So I don't understand what your point was. I though he was trying to compare how well different capos work….

My Peterson clip has that setting. All it does is translate the actual capo-ed notes to the standard EADGBE based on what fret you tell it the capo is on. In other words, it's just a convenience that always identifies the string by it open note. So I don't understand what your point was. I though he was trying to compare how well different capos work….

Yeah , any tuner identifies the no real point in a 'capo tuner'

1475678619[/url]' post='1804107']

As the old guy I use to work for would probably say: "Capos we have plenty, BK, money not enough!"

But we might try the new one if it ever gets here. Spring a leak in the silicone, Lars? Where have I heard thst before? [confused]

And I thought about putting my expensive Elliot Elite brass finish capo to the tuner test, but it cost me to much to want to know!

Anyway, my Shubb Deluxe is the only capo that I put on without doing any fiddling - just works great how I place it - and the only very minor complaint I have about it is sometimes adjusting the knurled adjustment screw hurts my soft left thumb. This is made up for many times over by being the only capo that lets me do a large string bend and return..... I think the Shubb rubber piece is pretty good at forming around different and odd necks - Shubb claim it works like your finger and skin, don't they?

BluesKing777.

P.S. Sal, I was a UMGF member long before I had even heard Gibson acoustics had a forum too! First thing I have ever got to join for free! Except then they talked me into buying a Martin or two...... then I found and joined this forum and bought a Gibson acoustic, or two [smile] Not that free then.

Joshing... I'm a member there too, and have been for about six years. These are the two best forums out there. UMGF maybe more geeky. It's like taking EM7 and 62burst, cloning their guitar neediness, and making a village. !!!!!

Joshing... I'm a member there too, and have been for about six years. These are the two best forums out there. UMGF maybe more geeky. It's like taking EM7 and 62burst, cloning their guitar neediness, and making a village. !!!!!

I know you were joshing....

I was thinking back on how the forum discovery came about... there was a recording equipment expert and the internet was pretty new and a print would take 4 hours and even though there were only 3 sites on the whole net, instead of the recording genii I came across a recording gear forum! Huh? What that? And I took some of the advice I read, never in a million years would I dream of 'joining'. :mellow: And I bought more junk.

None of the local shops had a 'site' or even knew of it, but the first guitar shops online starting appearing and touting their wares! Aha! Aha! Aha! And one had a new guitar test drive and it was full of 'Needful Things' (quote S. King).

And of course where there are needful things, there are experts to guide you in their selection and next thing we are on a thing called UMGF, but only lurking for many years but enough to learn of the 000-15 and a DCX-1RE, soon to be mine ha ha ha ha ha...and the rest is.....ongoing [flapper]

BluesKing777.

Hey, I resemble that.

Actually, the monkey on my back has been merciful of late- even getting me through this tough period of forum Birdomania. (ahem, Sal).

Thankfully, Lars has done a decent job of conjecturing causes for BK^777's observations. Then David Hanners just blew my mind with that James Taylor tuning method- good thing I didn't know I was playing out of tune for all of those years- 'wouldn't have been as enjoyable, had I only known.

My own personal capophobia continues . . .

Hey, I resemble that.

Actually, the monkey on my back has been merciful of late- even getting me through this tough period of forum Birdomania. (ahem, Sal).

Thankfully, Lars has done a decent job of conjecturing causes for BK^777's observations. Then David Hanners just blew my mind with that James Taylor tuning method- good thing I didn't know I was playing out of tune for all of those years- 'wouldn't have been as enjoyable, had I only known.

My own personal capophobia continues . . .

Birdos! The Birdo Forum? Tinny things... [flapper]

I saw the James T tuning thing a few years ago and my immediate shock turned to pity because obviously he is touched, and crazy people love moving goalposts to make them crazier!

I mean, I am pissed off with the capo that doesn't do the claimed job - JT must incinerate those! And strings stretch and move and you put tension on them and.....they have gone out of tune again. Stage lights come on and the guitar is doing its own thing. Just have to accept that and get the best tuning you can on the guitar you are playing.....

Another tuning perfectionist is Ben Harper! He has hundreds of guitars, it seemed, and he tunes them at full volume while testing the PA which also needs testing all day. (I had a Saturday afternoon residency and got to see lots of acts later if I wanted, but that one took the cake for tuning perfection, and all I had was my shameful Boss TU-something).

BluesKing777.

Or you could just use James Taylor's approach to tuning:

I had the honour of sitting on JT's tourbus with his tech and programming the offsets mentioned above into JT's Peterson tuner, I think it was 2003 or 2004. Those settings were subsequently made a factory stock Sweetener preset in all the Petersons after that. Using that preset (called ACU) actually does also mitigate the effects of a strongly sprung capo on the strings. I think its a useful and, as far as I know, unique tuner feature [smile] .

Ah ok. I didn't actually know what the capo setting does.

Thanks.

I had the honour of sitting on JT's tourbus with his tech and programming the offsets mentioned above into JT's Peterson tuner, I think it was 2003 or 2004. Those settings were subsequently made a factory stock Sweetener preset in all the Petersons after that. Using that preset (called ACU) actually does also mitigate the effects of a strongly sprung capo on the strings. I think its a useful and, as far as I know, unique tuner feature [smile] .

Cool. That must've been an experience.

I think when I'm back in the U.S. next summer, I may pick me up one of those Petersons. I've got Oasis clip-on tuners and they're not very helpful if you try to tune within a few cents of the "real" note.

Here's a digest of Taylor's tuning. The number represents how many cents below the note you tune:

E -3

B -6

G -4

D -8

A -10

E -12

I really like my Peterson, although the plastic clip is pretty flimsy and broke after a year or two. I did "jury-rig" repair with some wire and it has been holding up though. Gave one of them to my Son in Law a couple years ago and he loves it. The sweetened tunings are fun, but after awhile I got bored with them and now I prefer to use the standard EQU mode and tweak it to my own preference.

Archived