Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
songman

well played in strings

On my J45 I prefer the sound of 80/20 Masterbuilt Gibson strings which have been on it for a while. I prefer the sound of the strings when the sparkly newness has subsided somewhat but the strings are still alive and not dead. Anyone else have the same feeling? I wonder if there exist strings which sound like that from day one rather than after say 14 days.

for me as well it takes a few hours to get the squeak out, then the sound rounds out, I seem to use dadarios the most cause they are cheap and available every wher.e and are consistant cheers from BC

Nearly everyone here will feel the same

Have never met anyone who actually likes new strings

I actually like the way DR Rare strings sound when brand new.

Santa Cruz Low Tension and Martin Monel strings may give you that broken in sound. I tried them both, and do not like the already worn in sound I got right out of the box, but strangely do like the broken in sound I get out of Mrtin SP and Curt Mangan strings I normally use.

John Pearse strings seem to "warm up" quickly for me on the AJ. Alas they also wear (proceed to dull) quickly resulting in more frequent string changing.

I've had a set of D'Addario nickel bronze on the SJ for a couple months now. A little odd...when I first pick it up, it sounds choked and dead but warms up after a minute or two. I'm betting they will improve more yet. We'll see how they are in a year or so.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the strings. I use mostly Martin SPs, but if something else is on sale I might give them a shot if my string supply is getting low. At times I'll keep them on for a year. I typically swap out the strings when I change the pickup battery. Easier to keep track that way for me. I don't know that I listen for new vs old strings. If the guitar is sounding good and is easy on my fingers, then I don't care about the brand of strings or their age. I've got an old Regal parlor guitar from the early 40s that has strings that are about 3 years old. They're kind of dead, but I still like the quiet sound of that little guitar. Easy to play and it's great for late-night strumming of Cash train songs while I watch my ho trains run. I try to stay simple. More fun for me that way. There are as many string brands as their are J45 models...lol....Too complicated for me. I just like to play my guitars.

Nearly everyone here will feel the same

Have never met anyone who actually likes new strings

Brand new D'Addario. either EJ16 or EJ17 depending on the guitar. I love them brand new. I just deal with it when they break in.... and hate it when they go dead.

-Keith

Personally I found 80/20's on my SJ to be a disaster but I do like the tone of brand new Pyramids and DR Sunbeams, which are PB's, they actually have a nice warm, almost played in tone from the start. On the Hummingbird they are actually at their best when new.