Gibson Brands Forums

The Dove in action

E-minor7

I've said this previously: from one example to another, Doves can present an amazingly violin-like variation from bright to dark and points between. A quality of various maples, perhaps? It makes searching for the Dove that suits your needs an engaging and rich experience, at least it was thus for me. Managed to find one that's capable of touching both extremes and is still comfortably in the mid zone unless otherwise encouraged, but the quest was lengthy. Didn't really want the expense of accumulating a trio of Doves.😔 Would have been OK with that, but there are so many Gibsons and only so much cash.

Id be happy to find just one, i just never seen one around here or most parts of europe.

I've said this previously: from one example to another, Doves can present an amazingly violin-like variation from bright to dark and points between. A quality of various maples, perhaps? It makes searching for the Dove that suits your needs an engaging and rich experience, at least it was thus for me. Managed to find one that's capable of touching both extremes and is still comfortably in the mid zone unless otherwise encouraged, but the quest was lengthy. Didn't really want the expense of accumulating a trio of Doves.😔 Would have been OK with that, but there are so many Gibsons and only so much cash.

I've said this previously: from one example to another, Doves can present an amazingly violin-like variation from bright to dark and points between. A quality of various maples, perhaps? It makes searching for the Dove that suits your needs an engaging and rich experience, at least it was thus for me.

I believe you and admit not having played that many. Still my D-picture is pretty clear.

Here's my own 96'er in a test from 3 years back.

It's a generous well-opened creature - you'll see what is meant by deep projecting, fat'n'rich maple-syrup dripping. .

https://soundcloud.c...ibson-dove-test

I believe you and admit not having played that many. Still my D-picture is pretty clear.

Here's my own 96'er in a test from 3 years back.

It's a generous well-opened creature - you'll see what is meant by deep projecting, fat'n'rich maple-syrup dripping. .

https://soundcloud.c...ibson-dove-test

That example would sell more doves than any other I've heard

Mic type ? Position etc?

Mic type ? Position etc?

Thanx bbg -

I think this was done in the studio.

Can't remember the mic, but the position was somewhere 25-30 centimeters in front of the 12-14th fret, U know.

Looking up the files, they tell me it was wired with D'Addario EJ 16's - and that they were approx 14 months old.

Thanx bbg -

I think this was done in the studio.

Can't remember the mic, but the position was somewhere 25-30 centimeters in front of the 12-14th fret, U know.

Looking up the files, they tell me it was wired with D'Addario EJ 16's - and that they were approx 14 months old.

Truly sounds fantastic

Mic type ? Position etc?

Yeah, I agree, thats a superb tone, and great playing or course. But you can hear those rounded, juicy yet crystal clear notes. Adn the thunderous bass.

Send an enquiry about this one, about same price as what i sold the 69er, so would be sort of straight 'swap'.

Its 98' so had 20 years to open up and seems a reasonable price - Em7, what are your first thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Gibson-Dove-in-Flight-acoustic-guitar-ltd-edition-139-of-250-all-original-/252577184286?hash=item3acec5fa1e:g:Vd0AAOSwZJBX-sE5

Truly sounds fantastic

Yeah, I agree, thats a superb tone, , , ,

Em7, what are your first thoughts ?

The Dove sounds really good, but have to say the recording has an issue.

Zoom in on the highs and you'll hear an insisting overtone almost like a flute or a high organ.

It's a Bb - but let's say "B" as we are a half step down - and it's generated by the 3rd fret high G.

This note here and there collides with the (zig-zag) playing and is rather dominant.

Just tried the guitar and it's still there. However not at all that pronounces as in the recording.

Maybe we could have EQ'ed our way out of it (the take is close to neutral and done from the hip).

Could be interesting to check if it's still there in standard tuning - probably is.

The 98 (semi) Doves in Flight looks promising. I like the brownish back'n'sides better than mine, which is very cherry.

Also like the tulip tuners better - mine has nameless, but Groverish kidney-shaped ones.

Golden too, but faded to a point where the metallic material comes through - that's rather cühl tho.

I'd give this maple-flier a go. Especially as I have the feeling they are easily passed further in the proud city of Prague.

Well - Exciting

I assume the issue with the overtone is specifically related that particular guitar, rather than a 'Dove' thing ?

Do you think the price is fair for the 98' Doves in Flight, they seem to really range in price from this level to stupid prices for non vintage models like $6,000.

BBG: yes, i sold it for just under 2k GPB, which is what i paid for it 6 years ago in NYC. I could have solid it for more most likely on the German market but had a seller on the door with the cash so went ahead with it. Young guy, only 26 years old, lucky bugger to be playing a Gibson at that age. I was stuffing around with Epis at that age.

Also, do you guys have any clue if i will need to pay duty on arrival in CZ ? i assume not, as its in the EU and the UK is still in the EU. i remember when i had the Lg-2 flowin from the US i got slugged another 20% duty which really hurt.

The Dove sounds really good, but have to say the recording has an issue.

Zoom in on the highs and you'll hear an insisting overtone almost like a flute or a high organ.

It's a Bb - but let's say "B" as we are a half step down - and it's generated by the 3rd fret high G.

This note here and there collides with the (zig-zag) playing and is rather dominant.

Just tried the guitar and it's still there. However not at all that pronounces as in the recording.

Maybe we could have EQ'ed our way out of it (the take is close to neutral and done from the hip).

Could be interesting to check if it's still there in standard tuning - probably is.

The 98 (semi) Doves in Flight looks promising. I like the brownish back'n'sides better than mine, which is very cherry.

Also like the tulip tuners better - mine has nameless, but Grover-like kidney-shaped ones.

Golden too, but faded to a point where the metallic material comes through - that's rather cühl tho.

I'd give this maple-flier a go. Especially as I have the feeling they are easily passed further in the proud city of Prague.

Well - Exciting

I assume the issue with the overtone is specifically related that particular guitar, rather than a 'Dove' thing ?

Do you think the price is fair for the 98' Doves in Flight, they seem to really range in price from this level to stupid prices for non vintage models like $6,000.

The overtone is hardly audible in the couch, but sings like a background-whistle on the take. I think it's recording.

I also believe we witness more wolf-tones than we are aware of when it comes down it.

They are often hidden behind or rather above the immediate sound we produce - the things we play.

In my general experience maple is pretty free of overtones. And I btw. never heard the 'flute' in the test before today.

The price for that DIF seems fair. Presume the bracing and bridge are tight and stable, but how about the frets ?

The reason I called it a 'semi' is the p-guard, which presents a regular Dove motif.

No , I like a hummingbird and a j200 as much as the next guy.

Think it's the bridge , and the pickguard is a little sparse .

My opinion matters not and many love them and I can see why , but it just doesn't seem to all line up as well as others .

But they do sound great , and the red back and sides I do like

The bridge is an usual design, and no petite thing, at that. Gibson has also had a roughly similar bridge on the Heritage model:

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-12%20at%206.38.14%20PM_zps1jvlz2nh.png

1998 Dove:

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-12%20at%206.31.11%20PM_zps9kfhukag.png

'Does get one to wonder: the bridge covers a sizable amount of real estate; is the bridge plate under all that? Anyone able to come up with a Dove bridgeplate image? The inlaid "wings" make for a heavier look- Gibson similarly had at times filled the moustache of the J-200 with m.o.p. as well:

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-12%20at%207.03.02%20PM_zpsamsgredr.png

Maybe if the Dove's bridge was cut out (and radiused) where the m.o.p. is, exposing the top, à la SJ-200(?)

Yeah , maybe .

The j200 bridge is a nice thing to look at

That heritage bridge is another that I'm not fond of

Like I say , it's horses for courses and who cares what I think .

Listening to em7 playing one has swayed me more than anything could. But he does have magic hands

Hi there,

lately I've been lusting for a maple Gibson too,

EA, theres a used 2014 Dove near me for 2300,-€.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/gibson-dove-limited-edition-2014-antique-cherry-nur-abholung-/479557895-74-1889

checking and buying guitars for others is great fun, when you don't have the money to get another one for yourself.

Archived