Gibson Brands Forums

The forums darker days

Rabs

Man is it me or has it been even quieter than usual on here... (I know... I need to get out more [rolleyes] )

Some of you wernt on here at that time.. But when I first came on this site it was a buzzing place full of activity.. I seem to remember one member (I cant remember who it was now) reached 100 posts in a day.. These days if someone posts 10 in a day its a fair amount.

Now im not in any way moaning about this... This forum is an amazing place and the way it is moderated (really great job guys) keeps things really civil and as a result the information available on this site and the way everyone supports each other in their various activities in life is commendable... And obviously that's due to the great people we have on here too...

But part of me misses the way it was... At that time, there was a lot of fighting and name calling and a feature that has long since gone (and sometimes I miss that too) which was that you could +1 or -1 a post if you liked it or not.. Some of that did get a bit silly but it was kind of fun.

Now I have to say that im not by far the oldest member on here and I have heard stories that it was even worse before I joined, like it was more like the wild west or something than a friendly hub of guitar and music information :) and there were WAY more regulars back then.. But not that long after I joined something happened on here that I wasn't aware of and people got banned and other people left because of it.. Since then its been more like it is now (I joined in Jan 2012)...

So really this is for the longer serving members of the forum.. As much as this place is great.. Do you miss the way it was? Any stories to share about it? Anyone you still wish was around?

I still miss Donny a bit... Surely he should be allowed back by now (well if he actually wanted too)? And I wonder what happened to Izzy... Hope shes still singing and playing...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a member of the Gibson group of forums since before there was a "lounge" and they were wild days indeed!

Some draconian moderating and knee jerk reactions from some moderators and members saw a mass walkout, inc. me. There have been two of those in my experience from the Epi side of things. Some of the members did put themselves in harms way and ask to be banned so it's from both sides. I though it unnecessary and a bloody shame as many really good people with valuable experience were lost to us in those times. I know the Epiphone forum has never recovered from those walk outs and is a shadow of itself from those days.

I wasn't here in the Gibson Lounge then so not sure of it's history.

Whilst taking leave from the place to support my mates that had left in protest I found myself moderating a small breakaway group and during that time tried to negotiate the return here of a few that had been banned and in a couple of cases was successful. I did that because I have always believed that here was basically a great forum, though at times poorly managed. The Epiphone forum was the first place I ever posted on a forum and as such holds a sentimental attraction for me and I will always try to support it even though effectively now not a guitar player. I have too many friends to walk away from.

The other side of things we have to consider is that circumstances in people's lives are constantly changing and I'm sure there are reasons that take people away from places like ours. Life changes, our time, or interests changes along with everything else and people move on....it's fairly natural I think. I too really miss some of the people that have been here and wish I could catch up with them again.

It's been said that too strict controls take away much of the interest in a forum and some of the most interesting people, but like Notes I don't miss the conflict.

Man is it me or has it been even quieter than usual on here... (I know... I need to get out more [rolleyes] )

No doubt - and you weren't even here for the crazy stuff. It was very wild west - and hundreds of posts per day. I'd disappear for months sometimes just because I couldn't read it all. We had no lounge back then so a lot of the action took place in the LP section. We'd end an off topic post with "I love my Les Paul" or some such just to keep it "legal". [biggrin]

Guess I missed the excitement, but I find the forum to be a very pleasant spot. Confrontation and name-calling have a train wreck kind of appeal whether we like to admit it or not, I suppose. Can't say whether I wish I'd been here or am glad not to have been.

1476157121[/url]' post='1805135']

Guess I missed the excitement, but I find the forum to be a very pleasant spot. Confrontation and name-calling have a train wreck kind of appeal whether we like to admit it or not, I suppose. Can't say whether I wish I'd been here or am glad not to have been.

I agree Cowboy, don't think I would want to be a part of it back then. Two things I dislike, fighting and name calling.

It seems like all of the forums I frequent are quiet lately. My guess would be that more people are getting around in social media and not coming here as often.

Yep. I agree. Every forum I post on has declined in activity. Twitter hashtags and Facebook groups are taking over.

I think message boards are great for discussing specific topics or interests and I hope they remain relevant. Let's hope the younger kids feel the same.

Interesting one Rabs [thumbup]

I've only been here 3.5 years but I find it less interesting then I used to. It's become so damn nice that the interesting edge has all but gone. Symptomatic of the broader world round here in some ways - like when the yuppies and oldsters run the locals out of the inner city financially and then wonder where the vibe went when they are surrounded by the same people and stores they had in the burbs with a bit of fake chic sprinkled on top.

I like the live gig stories/clips, greatest band/album stuff as well as some robust debate (offence can't be given, only taken) and guitar oriented stuff far more than the personal suffering, pets, name games etc stuff, but happily except their co-existence - it's just nice to have plenty of variety, and that seems to have dropped off. I'm thankful for the FZFans, Quaps and Larry's of the world who call it as they see it [thumbup] - I miss the enthusiasm of Jimmy Mac, Donny, Crust and no doubt many others!

When I came on here there were people who'd been on here for a long time who seemed really nice but turned into smart-mouthed name calling chest-beaters at the slightest provocation. These guys couldn't talk about what strings to use without blaming half the world for everything.

Guys that were fun when they talked about guitars but weren't so fun when they couldn't get along. It was like as if your neighbors were yelling at each other out in the street every day. Like somebody you don't know telling you you're going to he!! because you don't think like them. It was fun watching for awhile but you'd get sick of it pretty quickly.

The old days were fun for a lot of reasons.

1; The internet forums were a fairly new concept, and people with like interest's or expertise in an area, could communicate. But, just because we played Gibsons, we still came from different Worlds and it didn't take long for that to become apparent.

2; Anonymous. This was light years before Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and such. You were told to NEVER use your real name on the internet back in those days. You could call people morons, cigarettes, and all kinds of things and they didn't know who you were. It was a good thing in those days too, on my part, as I was a heavy drinker and was heavily armed.

3; Steve Jobs had barely invented the smart phone, most of us used dial up, there was no wifi to speak of, and it was a big deal to "check in" and I could sit around and drink beer and argue about stuff with the best of them. It was actually a lot of fun at the time.

I agree with deeman, Facebook and Twitter groups have helped kill online forums. But, I can't sit and talk about amps, strings and tubes for hours at a time anymore either. The off topic stuff kept it exciting and politics are a natural place to argue. When you take the arguments out, and everybody is forced to get along, something dies and interest is naturally going to dry up.

And so it goes......

I've been hanging around here about 4 and half years now.

I do notice that it seems that it's gotten quiet these last few months for sure.

But I'm ok with that, this is still one of if not the best guitar-oriented message board out there.

and I don't usually feed the trolls, so I tend to stay away from the kindergarten posts.

No doubt - and you weren't even here for the crazy stuff. It was very wild west - and hundreds of posts per day. I'd disappear for months sometimes just because I couldn't read it all. We had no lounge back then so a lot of the action took place in the LP section. We'd end an off topic post with "I love my Les Paul" or some such just to keep it "legal". [biggrin]

I think one of the forum crashes changed the "joined" dates, huh? My date says I joined in 2008 close to you, although I think it was actually earler for both of us.

There were two main guys at that time causing 99% of the havoc. I'm sure we all remember who those two were. Would be interesting to hear them on Trump/Hillary :rolleyes:

When I came on here there were people who'd been on here for a long time who seemed really nice but turned into smart-mouthed name calling chest-beaters at the slightest provocation. These guys couldn't talk about what strings to use without blaming half the world for everything.

Guys that were fun when they talked about guitars but weren't so fun when they couldn't get along. It was like as if your neighbors were yelling at each other out in the street every day. Like somebody you don't know telling you you're going to he!! because you don't think like them. It was fun watching for awhile but you'd get sick of it pretty quickly.

This suggests to me that rather than suffering a general decline, the forum has become rather more mature. I interpret that as a good thing - fewer tantrum throwers.

I joined same month as Rabs. And I'm still learning how to behave.

At that time there were more people posting their own vids etc - a lot in the "Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk" thread, which was always VERY interesting.

There were a couple of younger guys who posted vids. Jake got flamed a LOT and posted a photo with his Dad next to him; OTOH some members always righteously defended Nathan whose vids were a lot of fun.

Both of them were very sincere but not experts at grammar and typing - how could they be? - and so got misunderstood IMO.

Perhaps that is the trouble with the internet, only too easy to misunderstand and take offence because the printed word removes the conversational aspect.

Also there were more contributors like Milod who kept open-ended discussions going, often all the more interesting as they were specifically about American topics.

There was one about "Atlas Shrugged", a novel by Ayn Rand which I had never heard of until reading the discussion about it here.

I always enjoyed Bonzoboy's posts (recent sighting on Epi forum!) and everyone dug the posts by Axe, Demon, ShredAstaire, Retro and other forum legends who don't come around nearly so much now.

One guy whose input I miss is S T E V E who got a lot of criticism after one post in which he actually said what a good forum this is compared to many others; I think that was the last thing heard from him.

But the biggest loss is that we have zilch female input these days - Izzy is gone and what happened to AutumnLightandShade (Emma)?

Best wishes to all!

Jimmy Mac, Crust and no doubt many others!

That's a point, what ever happened to Crust and Jimmy Mac? They did post some good stuff and Jimmy Mac was a fountain of blues knowledge. Found a lot of artists through him.

I agree it has become very quiet, but I've only been on here properly the last couple of years (though I joined before that, I never got around to posting until later). Still, I LOVE this forum and there's a lot of good, friendly people here.

Only downside, I have purchased more guitars since being on here due to you all posting pictures of your fantastic instruments [love]

I ended up at this forum many years ago when looking for info on an oddball Les Paul I had acquired from a friend. It was kind of like a wild west town I was "just passing through" but decided to stay in after visiting the saloon. It included a lot of interesting people with a wealth of technical information and a wide diversity of opinions. I must admit that I kinda enjoyed (as a spectator) some of the mudslinging contests, and I actually got to know a few of the players a little bit.

I tend to agree with Murph and the Dub-T on this one, though. Things change over time, and people/situations are different now. I still hang out off-stage in the wings, mostly scanning for the occasional tidbit of technical info that's posted (I seek knowledge), but don't really log in much, as I have very little to contribute anymore.

... Can't imagine 100 posts a day especially from folks who have to work.

Not as time consuming as you think. If you remember chat rooms - it was like that - some thread topics were more or less real-time conversations with lots of members quickly putting up one or two sentences - one liners, zingers, flames. Quite entertaining. Getting involved in a thread like that, in a few minutes you could easily run out 10 or 12 posts, and those types of threads were frequently several pages long. If you look at the post counts from members that joined before 2012 you'll see some pretty big numbers.

It's kind of turned to thoughtful, longer posts with people weighing in once or twice a thread - if they post at all.

Still, once in a while a topic comes up that brings out lots of participation and a bit of the wild west. . B)

Archived