Gibson Brands Forums

Well, Sal......?

Buc McMaster

Hey guys. It has been a tough few weeks... culminating with surgery last week for my 85yr old dad, and my bringing him home yesterday... I did sneak away one day for this gig, which I could not get out of. I mean, I would have gotten out of it if the surgery did not go as well as it did.

Here is my dad last Wednesday morning, 15 minutes before going in for a colon resection:

IMG_0857_zps0xhxfxui.jpg

And here is him last Friday afternoon, recovering in the hospital; he is on the phone with his buddies bragging that "they cant kill the old ox"

IMG_0866_zpsoozrwgvt.jpg

And here he is at home yesterday morning...

IMG_0880_zpskkucasyq.jpg

His health has kept me preoccupied the last month in a large way, and I am blessed that he is doing well!

With regards to the gig... it went great. It was at a really nice restaurant overlooking NYC, by the Statue of Liberty, called Liberty House. Here was our setup; I dont know if the picture came out well:

IMG_0869_zps5xubxdq2.jpg

And here is the back of the restaurant/bar - opened up to the NYC skyline:

IMG_0870_zpspffxt8ay.jpg

We played three 70 minute sets, which consisted of songs from Buc (Rock Salt and Nails), Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, The Beatles, Bruce, The Stones, Looking Glass (Brandy - You're a Fine Girl), Van Morrison, Paul Simon, and basically "old songs" that most folks know and like to sing along with. And they did! Which was nice. There was a wedding going on upstairs also, and folks wandered down from the wedding, thoroughly imbibed, and asked for request after request. They kept our tip jar full, and we even played songs off the tops of our heads, like Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman and Zac Brown's Toes...

Long night, and I was glad to get home. But they want us back, which is a good thing, and it was a lot of fun. I dont do this for the money. I do do it in some hopeless attempt to keep me younger than I am I guess?

Anyways thanks for asking about the gig, and for those friends of mine hitting me viz back channel, thanks for asking about my dad.

Hey guys. It has been a tough few weeks... culminating with surgery last week for my 85yr old dad, and my bringing him home yesterday... I did sneak away one day for this gig, which I could not get out of. I mean, I would have gotten out of it if the surgery did not go as well as it did.

Here is my dad last Wednesday morning, 15 minutes before going in for a colon resection:

IMG_0857_zps0xhxfxui.jpg

And here is him last Friday afternoon, recovering in the hospital; he is on the phone with his buddies bragging that "they cant kill the old ox"

IMG_0866_zpsoozrwgvt.jpg

And here he is at home yesterday morning...

IMG_0880_zpskkucasyq.jpg

His health has kept me preoccupied the last month in a large way, and I am blessed that he is doing well!

With regards to the gig... it went great. It was at a really nice restaurant overlooking NYC, by the Statue of Liberty, called Liberty House. Here was our setup; I dont know if the picture came out well:

IMG_0869_zps5xubxdq2.jpg

And here is the back of the restaurant/bar - opened up to the NYC skyline:

IMG_0870_zpspffxt8ay.jpg

We played three 70 minute sets, which consisted of songs from Buc (Rock Salt and Nails), Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, The Beatles, Bruce, The Stones, Looking Glass (Brandy - You're a Fine Girl), Van Morrison, Paul Simon, and basically "old songs" that most folks know and like to sing along with. And they did! Which was nice. There was a wedding going on upstairs also, and folks wandered down from the wedding, thoroughly imbibed, and asked for request after request. They kept our tip jar full, and we even played songs off the tops of our heads, like Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman and Zac Brown's Toes...

Long night, and I was glad to get home. But they want us back, which is a good thing, and it was a lot of fun. I dont do this for the money. I do do it in some hopeless attempt to keep me younger than I am I guess?

Anyways thanks for asking about the gig, and for those friends of mine hitting me viz back channel, thanks for asking about my dad.

Give your Dad my best for a swift recovery. I had a resection 5 years ago but after several operations i was left with a colostomy bag.

Not the happiest outcome but my motto has become better a bag than a wooden box.

WeeDavy... God bless you brother.

PS.. regarding the women... Happy pretty intoxicated wedding ladies... they love to sing (heck we all love to sing). A few of them invited themselves to our mics to sing along, and we just went with it. We made their night a little I hope... and they were a nice happy engaged audience... which is awesome. The worst is playing for an unengaged or uninspired audience.

Good deal, Sal. Glad it went well........Real happy for you that your father is back home so quickly and doing well. He DOES look like a tough old guy...lol... I understand the stress and pressure that comes from a parent being ill and/or being in the hospital. It takes a lot out of you and all the things you want to do kind of fade into insignificance. Glad things are now going better and back to normal for you and yours.

1476222739[/url]' post='1805321']

My best to your dad, Sal.

Glad to hear the gig went so well. Can't believe how long you played.

Sounds like you had a weekend to remember/forget.

FMA

Thanks FA...

The gigs we play are either 7-11, or 9-1am. The 9-1am are the killer ones. I'd much rather the nice restaurant with a large bar... I'm too old for the other ones... kills me the next day.

Ps most nights, I am in bed at 9:30 and up at 4:15... I'm not a night guy...

Ps most nights, I am in bed at 9:30 and up at 4:15... I'm not a night guy...

I wake at 5:00a.m. from my years of construction work. Don't need a clock. Even when I was gigging, and if I got home at 3:00a.m. Boom, 5:00 I'm wide awake.

Prayers for your Dad, pal.

Archived