Gibson Brands Forums

Got me a gig........

Buc McMaster

Thanks for the input!

Bengal: I looked at the Jam amp as well as the David. The Jam does not supply 48V phantom, only 24V and not enough for the DYN. And I must admit liking the vertical array style speaker arrangement of the Bose. Used a L1 many years ago with the band and it was stellar.

And Sal, if the SA220 Solo was still available I'm sure I'd get one of those........they've been discontinued! Had one a few years back I should have held on to............ How many times have we said that?

BK: For the middle set gig, parking my butt on a chair in front of a single SM57 has crossed my mind........and I may still do that. Sound guy?!? Won't find too many of those in Texas roadhouses! It's some kind of 6 or 8 channel powered PA mixer on the side of the stage sitting on a chair........that's the sound guy.

Thanks for the input!

Bengal: I looked at the Jam amp as well as the David. The Jam does not supply 48V phantom, only 24V and not enough for the DYN.

I see what you mean. Interestingly enough the 100 w version has 48v phantom power on two XLR channels.

https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/shop/amplifiers/jam-100

If you're a fan of the Bose I get that as well. I've never really enjoyed the sound (no warmth...kind of a "plastic" sound IMHO) and I play through one three times a month at a venue. People like what they like. [biggrin]

Yeah, BK........I'm now thinking a magnetic direct to the PA might be scary. And so I am rethinking what I might do in that regard........

Being a stickler for sound quality I have to say I was not impressed with the band's out-front sound in that room.......heavy bass, muffled vocals, poor balance overall. I'm sure all of this could be corrected with some adjustments here and there, but if I'm going to pop up and do a short set between theirs, there won't be time for such things, and messing with knobs and stuff would not likely sit well with the guys. I do not want my set to suffer due to poor equipment setup and operation. I believe a solo singer/guitarist above all else needs clarity in an amplification system.........there's nothing else going on but the one performer and hearing clearly what that single musical source is delivering is very important to me. So what to do?!?!? Yikes!

Taking the long view, I figure this set will be good enough that I'll likely be offered openers for my friend's band in other venues and, as some have mentioned here, the house might offer me a night of my own. While I certainly don't have the repertoire to cover a night now it's something I could work toward and, more importantly, it's an idea that for now is appealing. Such a gig would require that I have my own amplification system, one of my own choosing, to provide the clarity I want. So I've been perusing acoustic amplification systems of various description.......

I do want to use the Schertler Dyn pickup I have already - positioned properly on the guitar, I don't think there's a more natural sounding pickup out there. (Yes, a microphone might well be the best audio solution but I don't like the restriction of movement with that setup.) The Schertler requires phantom power, a feature not provided in many acoustic amps. The Schertler David Deluxe amp is the perfect partner to the DYN pickup but it has a weak provision for using a vocal mic. It has a remarkable preamp section with very, very good EQ control for guitar, but not voice. They do, however, build the Yellow Single, a stand alone version of the preamp from the David Deluxe amp. And it does provide 48V phantom power for the DYN series of pickups. But what to plug this preamp into.....and what about the vocal mic?

For now, I am leaning toward the Bose L1 Compact system. Simple to haul, simple to setup and operate, very small footprint and serves as main and monitor in one package. And it is very high fidelity. This is a small enough system I could indeed use it for the middle set gig at the honky tonk quite easily. Use the Yellow Single on the guitar and some type of pedal-style vocal processor on the microphone, not so much for effects and such but for EQ. Perhaps a good equalizer would serve this function better..........I dunno yet. Still doing homework and thinking this through......

Pardon my rambling on......... And thanks to all for your confidence in me! Wish I had it! [unsure]

I worry that you're over-thinking things. You're doing 10 songs which is, what? Fifty minutes' worth of music? How much equipment do you want to lug around for that when the band already has stuff set up on stage? How much time do you want to spend dealing with all that equipment and dialing it in?

You may be a stickler for sound but the audience isn't. As long as they can hear your vocals and hear the guitar relatively cleanly, they don't care. Use the Schertler (maybe get a Baggs preamp with phantom power) and then tell the sound guy what you're looking for and spend the rest of your time concentrating on the music. If you're doing a full show then, yeah, by all means, fret over the sound. But for a pop-up set when the band is taking a break, don't over-think it. Just have fun with it.

Hay Buc I remember when you we selling the SA220 we talked about it .....anyway I did get a 220 used it a couple of years sold it got the Bose L ll with the b2 bass Module and tone match. 4 channels very capable. It's not as lite to move around as the 220 but to my ears sounds great and offers more options to tweak "your" tone then the 220 did no regrets about getting the Bose it fills the room .

All that said a between sets "gig" using the existing mics with a setup/soundcheck done before seems the most simple way . Now the gigs that follow ....go with a Bose you won't be disappointed IMO Have fun with you new best friend Bird you 2 sound fantastic and you song list has given me some new avenues to explore thanks for that.

I tend to agree about the audience not being a stickler for sound - we're speaking Texas honky tonk, not concert hall. By the time you hit the stage, they should be pretty well loosened up unless times have changed radically since I frequented similar Texas institutions! Fuss too much over sound and they'll just get impatient. Your music, I expect, will go over very well - play your heart out and keep 'em happy😀

Archived