Gibson Brands Forums

Ordered an ES 339 Studio yesterday

Big Arm

I bought one last year. They had to fetch the 2015 one I wanted from the warehouse (Andertons UK), so meanwhile I played the 2014 models that were in the shop.

When the 2015 Studio arrived it was still boxed (from Gibson). I was happy to discover that I preferred it to the more expensive models I had been playing.

Yours has the full complement of 4 knobs. Mine has 2 only. Mine came with a black hard case. I think yours may be brown.

gibson-es-339-studio-wr-7.jpg

I've not posted pics of mine before, so you've given a good excuse to do so!

gibson-es-339-studio-wr-8.jpg

gibson-es-339-studio-wr-6.jpg

The neck is maple, and the fingerboard is torrified maple. This is much harder than rosewood and, to me, feels much nicer.

Pickups are Classic 57's, which are my favourite among Gibson pups.

The maple neck is heavier than the mahogany ones, and it feels very slightly neck heavy. I still prefer it to mahogany for its strength though. Sound-wise? It sounds exactly the same as the mahogany necks to my ears. I played enough of them in the 50 minutes I waited for my guitar to arrive. So I'm pretty sure about that.

I've gigged it about 4 times so far. I can honestly say that I like more now than I did when I bought it. I has grown on me like no other guitar over the last 18 months of use.

I hope you'll be thrilled with yours when it arrives! :)

I got it for $1650 so not a killer deal, but I thought pretty good. I am having a new amp built and ended up trading my amp for an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro which is actually fairly nice. but was using just a Vox little battery operated amp. Saw my old amp on Craigslist today so bought it back. My new amp is probably at least a month away. It really made a difference in the sound of the ES 339. It sounds so much better through this amp and my 1 x 12 cab than the little practice amp.

I got it for $1650 so not a killer deal, but I thought pretty good. I am having a new amp built and ended up trading my amp for an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro which is actually fairly nice. but was using just a Vox little battery operated amp. Saw my old amp on Craigslist today so bought it back. My new amp is probably at least a month away. It really made a difference in the sound of the ES 339. It sounds so much better through this amp and my 1 x 12 cab than the little practice amp.

I thought you'd been kept waiting for the 339! Got any pictures?

Archived