Gibson Brands Forums

I stand corrected.....

Buc McMaster

I seem to remember stating that the factory pins in my Hummingbird were bone.......... not! Tusq. Nut & saddle, bone.......pins not. So I ordered a set from Bob and they arrived today. In order to have an immediate comparison without changing anything else I slacked the strings one at a time, replaced the T with the B and retuned. Uh huh! A noticeable difference that I can only describe as s-m-o-o-t-h. The word "creamy" came to mind with the first chord strum. Can't say it is dramatic but it is a definite change for the better to these old ears. I'm happy.

pins were likely plastic? I remember handing my Gibson Legend to Ren Ferguson to play at Homecoming one year, and the gentleman sitting betwixt us said the only thing missing was Ebony pins - to which Ren replied - Why Ebony? The originals were plastic.

I did get a set of Ebony pins, cannot detect a sonic difference, but they sure add to the dark look of that 45.

Glad you sense an added "smoothness" - that's a very lush example you already have.

Thats interesting. In all cases when i switched the nut, saddle and pins to bone i found an overall improvement in tone quality. Tried swapping the plastic pins on the HB TV to bone and oops, all the nectar tone disappeared and the Bird stopped being Birdie ... was quite shocked . Back went on the plastic pins and the nectar returned, the Bird was singing again.

I seem to remember stating that the factory pins in my Hummingbird were bone.......... not! Tusq. Nut & saddle, bone.......pins not. So I ordered a set from Bob and they arrived today. In order to have an immediate comparison without changing anything else I slacked the strings one at a time, replaced the T with the B and retuned. Uh huh! A noticeable difference that I can only describe as s-m-o-o-t-h. The word "creamy" came to mind with the first chord strum. Can't say it is dramatic but it is a definite change for the better to these old ears. I'm happy.

Wow..he won the Nobel prize and now he's making bridge pins!! :mellow:

Pins are great fun😊 Sometimes, as mentioned above, they turn out to be more aesthetic than sonic, but I always get a rush from a sonic change if and when it happens! Even when it's a change for the worse, the easy reversal/reversion with no harm done is worth the minimal investment just to know what might happen. I've gained a new respect for ebony of late....

Archived