Gibson Brands Forums

"Breaking In" new Gibson acoustics...

sbpark

I've enjoyed reading this thread and was worried as the OP that it would start a poop storm of arguing back and forth like I've seen happen on AGF on similar topics. Seems like everyone here agrees on some things, but when they don't it's done in a respectful manner, and both sides usually states it's neither right or wrong, just a differing of opinions. Refreshing to read for sure and appreciate everyones comments.

FWIW my 2017 J45 Standard was made on August 17th of this year. I bought it because it just has a fullness and enveloping sound that pretty much every other J45, SJ or incarnation of J45 I played recently on my search lacked. It still did feel and sound a little "tight" though so I was a little wary and second guessed myself a few times about returning it. I had it set up and have been putting it through it's paces and when I get the urge pretty much beat the hell out of the strings. I've gone through two sets of strings already. I'm sure it's part bullshit, part wear on the strings and maybe part of it is actually real, but the guitar is sounding "better". Believe me, I'm a picky pain in the ***, but am liking the guitar more and more.

FWIW my 2017 J45 Standard was made on August 17th of this year. I bought it because it just has a fullness and enveloping sound that pretty much every other J45, SJ or incarnation of J45 I played recently on my search lacked. It still did feel and sound a little "tight" though so I was a little wary and second guessed myself a few times about returning it. I had it set up and have been putting it through it's paces and when I get the urge pretty much heath the hell out of the strings. I've gone through two sets of strings already. I'm sure it's part bullshit, part wear on the strings and maybe part of it is actually real, but the guitar is sounding "better". believe me, I'm a picky pain in the ***, but am liking the guitar more and more.

There's part of the player involved in the breaking in too

1477590277[/url]' post='1808570']

There's part of the player involved in the breaking in too

Agree. Don't overlook the enjoyment of breaking in a brand new guitar. I'd imagine it's like 'breaking' a wild horse. I feel like my 3 year old J45 gets a little 'wild' if I don't play it for several weeks. And, then I think part of the disconnect is the fact my ears got attuned to a different guitar. But, within an hour, I'm amazed at how much better it sounds.

First off regarding the ToneRite; here is the largest acoustic guitar player ToneRite survey I've been able to find on the net (from over on the Collings forum...49 some odd pages of responses!):

http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/94760485/m/941101681/p/1

These are actual players across a broad spectrum. A very interesting read from a lot of different guitar owners. Secondly, my 2006 J-50 was very tight when new and I feel that it is just now beginning to loosen up. The bass response has always been lacking compared to the other strings up until very recently. To the OP I'd say that if you've found one with great bass response right off the bat that you'll be OK down the road. But each individual guitar is a unique thing and trying to predict the future is a crap shoot at best. I always wonder what Buddy Holly's J-45 sounded like new compared to how it sounds today and I suspect it sounded better with time than when he first got it.

I'm sure it's part bullshit, part wear on the strings and maybe part of it is actually real, but the guitar is sounding "better". Believe me, I'm a picky pain in the ***, but am liking the guitar more and more.

My 2010 Standard was brand new when I got it.

It sounded very good finger-picked and already had an impressing bass, but when strummed you could feel how tight it was.

The guitar was also significantly compressed, which made it totally different than fx my acoustic pals older and gentler Modern Classics (or is it a Historic Collection, can't remember).

Since then it has opened a lot and is now much more relaxed. However there are still traces of the compression, which makes it a bit odd compared to the rest of my acoustics.

Wonder if it'll ever disappear or if it has to do with its basically rather powerful nature.

But broken in - YES, Sirs. .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived