Gibson Brands Forums

3 frets and a capo ?

jvi

seems like for ultimate power and tone, highish ( factory spec) action on modern j 45s works best, could a case be made for 3 frets and then a capo? its how Ive adapted for barre chords, also I think sometimes I may forget the j stands for JUMBO ! Im 5 foot 6 and these arnt little guitars,,,, cheers J Im not a pro...

I guess I was wondering if, with all the folks who buy new 45s and other models, who then have to lower the action, perhaps , for some of us, going "cowboy" and playing a lot in the first three frets and then for other stuff using a capo, the highish action that is stock gibson height is the way to go to preserve the thunder, I was curious if any one else felt the same or had a different opinion- cheers J

Ahhh. I hadn't thought about it - thanks for opening my eyes on that little trick. I use to use a capo quite often decades ago, but made a conscious decision to get into bars. Just like I decided to stop exclusively fingerpicking and focus exclusively on using a pick. So - I appreciate being reminded about the clearer and stronger cowboy chords you get with a capo.

I read it too, but wasn't clear on how to respond, either. Turns out, the notion fits me pretty well (cowboy chords๐Ÿ˜Œ). Being limited with respect to barre chords due to misspent youth's tendency to injure my hands whilest settling disagreements in violent fashion, compounded with later life's onset of arthritis, the capo has become a best friend. Indeed, I use the approach you reference and find that it works well with stock - a bit on the high side - nut setups. Not encouraging anyone to abandon barre chords by any means, but the alternative isn't all that bad.

my experience is that the height adds power and tone, a lot of the old stuff I play is in the first three frets, NOT EXCLUSIVELY tho, in general, other than runs up the neck, for a lot of stuff I just capo and still have the height for the power up top,and ease for the barre with capo, I tried lower saddles and did notice some sonic loss,dont like sonic loss, anyway forums help with perpective so here I am cheers J

I dont lower action much, if that's what you meant, i keep enough action to get full power/tone, usually it seems to me that lowering enough without getting any "buzz" when struming hard, is the action i need.

I can still play bare chords but often use capo, cause of the sound it gives (resonates more)...

So if i get what you meant Jvi, yes, though i would still lower slightly the action because factory is kind of high still, and not useful to have it so high in my opinion.

Archived