Gibson Brands Forums

Blackstar Amp Rattling Noise

LPguitarman

Can anyone tell me the cause and a possible fix for this?

My son has a Blackstar 60w Combo Amp. Recently he started noticing a rattling noise, kind of like a light bulb rattle. He replaced all of the tubes last week (amp tech, including bias), but the noise is still there. It is more prevalent with lower notes. I don't think it does anything to the tone, but he can hear it, and it bugs him. The amp is only about 1-year old.

He has played it both straight through the input and through his pedal board, so it is not in his pedal board, because the rattle is still there when played straight through. Of course it is louder when played through the pedal board because his EQ pedal just boosts it even more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On combo amps all of the parts inside the amp vibrate from the movement of the speaker. Usually the rattle is from a tube retainer clip in my experience.

When I had this problem I just removed the tube retainer clip, but you may solve it by using a piece of rubber or something between the tube and retainer clip. Of course, it has to be a material that won't melt from the heat of the tubes

Maybe it's not even the amp, once I noticed a rattling sound when plaing at higher volumes, it was crazy.

Changed the amps location and it was gone.

Some time later I found out it was a Window that was rattling with the lower frequencies.

Doesn't sound like it's your case but well worth a try.

Maybe it's not even the amp, once I noticed a rattling sound when plaing at higher volumes, it was crazy.

Changed the amps location and it was gone.

Some time later I found out it was a Window that was rattling with the lower frequencies.

Doesn't sound like it's your case but well worth a try.

Thanks, but not a location problem. It rattled in the tech's shop also.

On combo amps all of the parts inside the amp vibrate from the movement of the speaker. Usually the rattle is from a tube retainer clip in my experience.

When I had this problem I just removed the tube retainer clip, but you may solve it by using a piece of rubber or something between the tube and retainer clip. Of course, it has to be a material that won't melt from the heat of the tubes

Thanks Dub-T-123. We may try this. Someone else suggested to him trying an o-ring.

Put it on a stand if it isn't already.

Check feets, see if screwed on and bushing'd.

Check every, and I mean every screw up in the back.

Kn0bs on the front, wiggle 'em, see if loose.

If all else fails, sharp diagonal cutters, cut them tube clips off.

Annoying as all get out.

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

He has played it both straight through the input and through his pedal board, so it is not in his pedal board, because the rattle is still there when played straight through. Of course it is louder when played through the pedal board.

Hang on. If it's boosted by an eq in front of the amp then the rattle is in front of the amp. No?

And I also glean from what you say (correct me if I'm wrong) that this rattle is coming through the speaker?

I suppose the EQ could affect it by boosting the frequencies which exited whatever is rattling.

Blackstar seem to favour digital reverb overy spring reverb. Can you confirm what the model. Knowing if it has a tank might help. Also knowing if any reverb control has any impact would be interesting.

Of course, if the rattle is not heard through the speaker it's a much more simple thing. I'm mistaken as to your meaning and I'll shut up!

Hang on. If it's boosted by an eq in front of the amp then the rattle is in front of the amp. No?

And I also glean from what you say (correct me if I'm wrong) that this rattle is coming through the speaker?

I suppose the EQ could affect it by boosting the frequencies which exited whatever is rattling.

Blackstar seem to favour digital reverb overy spring reverb. Can you confirm what the model. Knowing if it has a tank might help. Also knowing if any reverb control has any impact would be interesting.

Of course, if the rattle is not heard through the speaker it's a much more simple thing. I'm mistaken as to your meaning and I'll shut up!

The rattle is not heard through the speakers. If you stand near the amp, you can hear the rattle which sounds like it is coming from inside the amp. I had him switch the reverb off, because I thought it might be the reverb too, and it still rattled. The amp is the HT Stage 60 Combo.

The rattle is not heard through the speakers. If you stand near the amp, you can hear the rattle which sounds like it is coming from inside the amp. I had him switch the reverb off, because I thought it might be the reverb too, and it still rattled. The amp is the HT Stage 60 Combo.

After looking at some pics of this amp model: Did you check if possibly the grill mounted to the inside of the back panel could be the culprit?

Funny how I've had my Peavey Classic VT Series since the 1980's. Only had to replace the tubes once. Haven't had a lick of trouble. Guess they don't make amps like they used to.

Well different amps can run the tubes harder but the old USA and British made tubes seem to be much more robust than the modern Russian and Chinese ones

After looking at some pics of this amp model: Did you check if possibly the grill mounted to the inside of the back panel could be the culprit?

Don't know... the amp tech. put some more screws into it, I believe in the handles on the side. Not sure about anything else. It does sound more like a light bulb rattle than anything else, that's why we suspected the tubes.

Don't know... the amp tech. put some more screws into it, I believe in the handles on the side. Not sure about anything else. It does sound more like a light bulb rattle than anything else, that's why we suspected the tubes.

Adding some more screws while suspecting the tubes? That doesn't make sense to me.

Did the tech check the nuts of pots, jacks and switches for proper mounting?

Adding some more screws while suspecting the tubes? That doesn't make sense to me.

Did the tech check the nuts of pots, jacks and switches for proper mounting?

The tech. actually could not hear the noise. Don't ask me why, I heard it...and, my son played through the amp for him in his shop, heard it, but the tech. didn't. Maybe he is going def from working on too many amps. [biggrin] My son had a new set of tubes that he had purchased awhile ago, so he just had him put those in just in case it was the tubes. We are trying to resolve this without going back to the tech. for obvious reasons. Bryan (my son) has asked others for their thoughts too, I just thought I'd come to the experts on the Forum. I've always gotten good answers here.

I don't know how far the tech. went as far as the pots, jacks etc... I did not go to the shop with Bryan. It does sound more like a rattling light bulb. Bryan was getting frustrated, so he settled for the tube change. Didn't want to spend any more money.

Forgive me, but does that particular amp have a spring reverb mounted inside a long black case, somewhere in the bottom of the amp cabinet?

(Farnsbarns brought this up, but I'm not sure if the question was answered, i.e.; is it a spring reverb or digital reverb....)

If it's a spring reverb:

Maybe the springs are rattling excessively, and need an inspection and adjustment back onto a spring-end grommet?

The reverb being on or off wouldn't affect the rattling noise one iota, if that's the problem.

Just thinking out loud.

:mellow:

Forgive me, but does that particular amp have a spring reverb mounted inside a long black case, somewhere in the bottom of the amp cabinet?

If it's a spring reverb:

Maybe the springs are rattling excessively, and need an inspection and adjustment back onto a spring-end grommet?

The reverb being on or off wouldn't affect the rattling noise one iota, if that's the problem.

Yes, I thought of this, too. I had a Fender amp that had this issue. But, I didn't think this model Blackstar had spring reverb.

For a while I was sharing a studio with my wife who makes jewelry. There was a rattle in the room that I couldn't pinpoint. Drove me nuts.

That's the kind of thing that could be lots of different things. It just takes time to isolate it. You need a keen ear. If your tech can't hear it then he can't fix it. At the same time, he needs time to be alone and listen to it a few times and think about it. He may not tell you that, but keep that in mind for next time.

Try playing it while you're damping stuff with your hands, like the speaker frame, cabinet parts. If that doesn't help, then try pulling the chassis and play it and see if it's from the chassis or the cabinet. While the chassis is out make sure there's nothing rattling around in there. Shake it around and turn it upside down. Same for the cabinet. Is the rattle a constant volume or does it increase and decrease with the volume of the amp?

Loose or missing mounting screws, loose tube shields or retainers, rattling tubes, rattling wires, loose circuit board.

Remove the speaker from the cabinet and play thru the unmounted speaker to see if it's the cabinet. That kind of thing.

At the same time, you could easily kill yourself if you start poking around inside the chassis and you shock yourself. So keep that in mind.

At the same time, like with any amp, you can only do so much work on it before it becomes more expensive to fix than to replace. You're not there yet but you'll get there faster with a Blackstar than, say, some fancy hand wired amp.

Yes, I thought of this, too. I had a Fender amp that had this issue. But, I didn't think this model Blackstar had spring reverb.

For a while I was sharing a studio with my wife who makes jewelry. There was a rattle in the room that I couldn't pinpoint. Drove me nuts.

My Mrs makes jewelry. We do not share studio space.

rct

Not trying to be a d!ck or anything but can you hear it when the drums and bass kick in?

If it's not coming through the speaker its just something loose.

Have you tried taking it back where you got it?

I told him the same thing... If it doesn't affect your tone, don't worry about it. Nobody will hear it anyway. I'm not sure what Guitar Center would do... it's been over a year since he bought it.

BTW, no advice is bad. Thanks for your input. [thumbup]

That's the kind of thing that could be lots of different things. It just takes time to isolate it. You need a keen ear. If your tech can't hear it then he can't fix it. At the same time, he needs time to be alone and listen to it a few times and think about it. He may not tell you that, but keep that in mind for next time.

Try playing it while you're damping stuff with your hands, like the speaker frame, cabinet parts. If that doesn't help, then try pulling the chassis and play it and see if it's from the chassis or the cabinet. While the chassis is out make sure there's nothing rattling around in there. Shake it around and turn it upside down. Same for the cabinet. Is the rattle a constant volume or does it increase and decrease with the volume of the amp?

Loose or missing mounting screws, loose tube shields or retainers, rattling tubes, rattling wires, loose circuit board.

Remove the speaker from the cabinet and play thru the unmounted speaker to see if it's the cabinet. That kind of thing.

At the same time, you could easily kill yourself if you start poking around inside the chassis and you shock yourself. So keep that in mind.

At the same time, like with any amp, you can only do so much work on it before it becomes more expensive to fix than to replace. You're not there yet but you'll get there faster with a Blackstar than, say, some fancy hand wired amp.

I agree, I've already told him just live with it until you can afford your Marshall Stack, [biggrin]

My Mrs makes jewelry. We do not share studio space.

Yes, I noticed. Finding the rattle in all of that stuff was impossible. We built a studio onto the back of the garage for my wife, and I got the room in the house. No more rattle.

Archived