Gibson Brands Forums

1959 ES-175

rfiori9

It might be a tough one to track down. You do occasionally see husks (neck and body without any hardware) on Ebay as PAF loaded ES175s are prime targets for people looking for donor guitars for Burst conversions and replicas, so it's possible you could pick up a neck that way but likely to be an expensive option and I don't remember ever seeing a neck on its own.

What issues are there with the current neck? The other avenue might be a rebuild of the original neck by a good repairer. Depending on the state of the original there are fairly advanced techniques for repairing nasty or previously bungled breaks - have a look in the 'items for luthiers' section of Frank Ford's www.frets.com website for some examples of amazing restoration work. If the neck is really far gone a replacement neck by a luthier would also be an option, potentially keeping the original fingerboard, headstock veneer and trussrod.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah if this guitar could talk! It was my uncles guitar and he was a carpenter who probably thought he could be a luthier. He played locally here in NJ and weekends in Wildwood NJ in the 50's and 60's sleeping in his car probably with his guitar by his side. Its now my cousin's guitar and I am helping him to try to get this playable again. We are about to call off the search for a neck from 59 so I think we will do the headstock repair and fretboard repair.

Archived