Gibson Brands Forums

Long as I can see the light

Cruznolfart

Sometimes a song "belongs" to someone. Not necessarily the person who wrote it, either. It just seems that some songs are done so well and so personally by a particular artist that when you hear it by anyone else it just doesn't hold up. I'm sure most folks would have no problem coming up with several examples of this.

Ted Hawkins was a virtual unknown outside or southern California and parts of Europe. But the way he interpreted John Fogerty's song "Long as I can see the Light" put his stamp on it, in my humble opinion. Here's Ted and then CCR. You decide for yourself.

http://www.last.fm/music/Ted+Hawkins

Ted gives me chills!

Maybe a lame example but "over the hills and far away" has never been played as good as it's played by nightwish (no' date=' I am not talking about THAT over the hills and far away, Im talking about Gary's)[/quote']

Wow! Tough call, mon. And I gotta thank you for turning me on to not only a song I've never heard, but two interpretations. Excellent stuff.

Sorry' date=' but I have to disagree with you. Nobody can sing it like John Fogerty.[/quote']

S'all right, mon. I like Fogerty's stuff and, most of the time, his own interpretations. There might even be a better example of him singing the song somewhere, I just grabbed one. But Hawkins does it for me on that one.

There was a song written in the very late '50s or early '60s (no-one knows for certain) by a chap called Billy Roberts which had been a staple of blues players for many years but after 1967 'Hey Joe' would always belong to one man.

I Shot the Sheriff" is a song written by Bob Marley. The song was first released on The Wailers ' album Burnin'. Eric Clapton recorded a cover version that was included on his album, 461 Ocean Boulevard. It is the most successful version of the song, peaking at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Clapton's only chart-topping hit in the U.S. Not a good example since I like both versions.

I'd never heard that song before, either version. At first I prefered CCR probably because I'm already familiar with their sound, but about halfway through Hawkins version, it started to grow on me. I really like the acoustic slide playing too.

Archived