Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard 2016 vs ES-339 2015

ChrisF

Are you expecting to play mainly Death Metal or Baroque?

Pip.

About 90% Swahili music and 10% rock/hard rock/blues.

Is this about choosing which to buy or which of your guitars to take out on the road?

Well, I'm actually going to keep the Les Paul, just wanted to know what you guys think about the 339 compared to it.

About 90% Swahili music and 10% rock/hard rock/blues.

Well, I'm actually going to keep the Les Paul, just wanted to know what you guys think about the 339 compared to it.

I support staying with the Les Paul in any case and voted for her.

When about the ES-339, I don't have any experiences with the model or other smaller-sized semi-hollows, so I can't contribute here. I can only say that I like the BurstBuckers 1 & 2 in a Les Paul of mine as well as the BurstBucker Pros in another Les Paul. They basically have the same coils, but the Pros are wax-potted and have AlNiCo 5 magnets instead of AlNiCo 2. Doesn't make much of a difference though - the Pros put out slightly more level at same pickup height.

EDIT: I think either guitars are nice complements for a Strat! [biggrin]

I voted for the Les Paul. I had a 339 and never got along with it. Mine had the huge 50s neck profile and 57 Classic pickups, so it was a little different than the one you described. My 2016 Les Paul was awesome for the short time I had it. I sold it because I'm more of an SG guy and $2000+ is a lot of money to be tied up in something I didn't use much.

I have both an LP and an ES-339, and I would keep the ES-339.

All other things being equal:

It sounds slightly better.

It looks better.

Its less common.

Ditto with the exception that I think my LP Standard is the prettier of the two.

Archived