Gibson Brands Forums

GHS Boomers Round/Hex Core Mix

capmaster

If I remember right, this is the first string topic I ever started...

For setting up a 1980's Fender American Strat the daughter of our bassist had bought used we agreed to stay with the string make previously used, and my bandmate bought two sets of GHS Boomers Light, set code GBL, .010" - .046" roundwounds.

I never used this make for stringing before, and I thought one can never be careful enough. To avoid bad accidents when cutting them, I checked the wounds if the cores were round or hexagonal. To my surprise the E6th had a .0175" round core, the A5th a .0165" round core, and the D4th a .014" hex core!

Honestly, I never encountered a mixture like this before, and I decided to research the GHS website and found the following in the FAQ section - quote:

"ARE GUITAR BOOMERS WOUND OVER A ROUND OR HEX CORE, AND WHY?"

"The bulk of the Guitar Boomers are wound over a round core, with exceptions being any wound Boomer at .024 or smaller, or .060 and higher.

"As to why, there are many benefits of a round core. Comparatively, round core strings have a greater flexibility than hex core strings, and also have a slightly warmer tone. However, round core strings need larger core wire diameters to equal the same amount of stability and strength as hex.

"Hex cores are able to remain stable at smaller diameters (which is why you'll notice we use hex on the .024 or smaller Boomer gauges). Compared to round core strings, hex strings have a slightly tighter attack and brighter tone. Also, as string gauges get thicker, the added stability that the hex core provides makes it ideal to retain clarity and definition on lower strings, specifically the B and F# strings found in our 7 String Boomers and 8 String Boomers."

- end of quote -

Anyway, the D4th is a .026" and thus heavier than .024" and lighter than .060" meaning it should come with a round core. Despite of that it has a hex core.

Does anybody have a clue why they might have changed hands? Any GHS Boomers users here who has special experiences?

I do no know as I have never looked in there.

rct

Before stringing I use to check the strings including the core overlaps at the top end if applicable, but this has always been the case since I never strung a double-ball end instrument. I know that cutting roundcore wounds can make the wound go loose, so I check in particular when I have to deal with string makes I'm not familiar with.

Before stringing I use to check the strings including the core overlaps at the top end if applicable, but this has always been the case since I never strung a double-ball end instrument. I know that cutting roundcore wounds can make the wound go loose, so I check in particular when I have to deal with string makes I'm not familiar with.

I knot them. Since 1975. I've never cared nor had to care about windings coming loose. I don't know why everyone else does.

rct

Archived