Gibson Brands Forums

The Great Elliot Capo Pass Around

Buc McMaster

Some of you have likely read the thread I started on my disappointment with the Elliot-McKinney capo I recently purchased.........here. For those that have this is old news but perhaps some might be interested in trying one of these top-of-the-line ( [thumbdn] ) capos for yourself.

I have decided that the Paige better suits me better so the Elliot is just so much paperweight around here. I'm sure there must be some of you that would like to see if I'm right so here's your chance. Those interested in being in the loop should PM me with a mailing address. I'll compile a list of all parties to be included with the mailing of the capo. When you receive it, take a week or so to try it out, put it through its' paces and compare its' performance to what you usually use. Cross your name off and forward it on to the next name on the list when you're evaluation is complete. We can use this thread to compile reports from the various users.......love it, hate it, silly money for a capo.......whatever you may think about it. A little forum participation, huh! I ask that those that get on the list follow through - let us know what you think and send it to the next tester.

What say ye, people? Are you in?

What a fun idea. A capo chain-letter ! Already have one that suites my Legend just fine, and Paiges for the rest so I won't add to the list, but interested in other folks viewpoints. Smile Fierce 1!!

Agreed! I can't wait to hear the impressions.

I have my own, which I played some just before then swapped to the Shubb Deluxe, which did sound different.

Both survived blues bending in the E blues scale!

I don't think either sounded like the guitar capo free, so it would probably need a bone bit instead of plastique, to get that.

BluesKing777.

Well, not just a lot of interest in trying out the Elliot. So I'll leave it go until tonight and then get this thing on the road tomorrow to the few that want to participate.

There's no catch to this, folks. Just an opportunity to try something you may not otherwise have access to.

Well, not just a lot of interest in trying out the Elliot. So I'll leave it go until tonight and then get this thing on the road tomorrow to the few that want to participate.

There's no catch to this, folks. Just an opportunity to try something you may not otherwise have access to.

Buc, If you sent to me I don't know what I would do with it any different than I would with my shubb.

• 2 weeks later...

Just the first update installment (more to come) since beginning to put the capo thru its paces. Thought perhaps this approach might keep the thread more timely than waiting 'til I was done. Out of the box, my first thought was how similar the appearance is to my trusty first generation Paige, but without the bottom bars. Kind of like a Kyser of similar design that I had years back. The Kyser never made me happy, but never mind. My guitars can be divided into two groups according to capo preference: Shubb lovers and Paige lovers. Shubb lover #1 was the 1961 LG-1, rebraced to LG-2 specs.. It still prefers the Shubb. Didn't need to be retuned with the EC, but rattled all the way up and down the neck whether flat or fingerpicked, gently or agressively. Thought that perhaps the medium-jumbo frets were to blame, so went to Shubb lover #2, the completely stock 1955 J-45.

The beefier neck presented no problem no matter how far up or down the EC was placed. Put it through the exact same maneuvers as #1 with the exact same results. No tuning or retuning issues at all, but the annoying rattle persisted.

Checked neck relief and action on both, just to be sure. A-Ok on both.

So far, Shubb 2 EC 0.

Will try a couple more tomorrow....

Installment #2

An early morning trial run with my 'beater' 2-year-old Epi EJ-200. It positively loved the Elliot! Nothing like a $100+ capo for a guitar that cost @$200. 😮 No better performance than with a Paige, though, and the Elliot takes more fooling around to adjust properly. Shades of Buc's observation about the threads being too far apart.

Later throughout the day the 1960's Paige lovers ('61 J-50, '65 Hbird, '68 Dove) had their shot. Necks, fretboards, relief, and action are virtually identical. The Elliot did fine with all three. Adjustment was a huge pain, however, compared to my Paige. The threads should be more fine and the thing feels - less stable? - not as secure as the Paige.

Well good to see the tour arrived in Indiana! I found that the Elliot seemed to require more tightening than the Paige to sit right on the strings..........felt tight enough but hitting the strings revealed the fret rattle you experienced. Another snug on the thumbscrew and it worked well, but the loose feel of the coarse thread is a deal breaker for me. The Paige, despite it's lighter build, feels a lot more solid to me.

So thanks for your comments and for signing up for the tour! When you're finished being disappointed send it on the the next player! [thumbup]

Well good to see the tour arrived in Indiana! I found that the Elliot seemed to require more tightening than the Paige to sit right on the strings..........felt tight enough but hitting the strings revealed the fret rattle you experienced. Another snug on the thumbscrew and it worked well, but the loose feel of the coarse thread is a deal breaker for me. The Paige, despite it's lighter build, feels a lot more solid to me.

So thanks for your comments and for signing up for the tour! When you're finished being disappointed send it on the the next player! [thumbup]

Still have a couple to try - will post possibly the last of my thoughts on the matter later today and then trek to the post office early in the week☺

Visited the remainder of guitars on my list to try with the Elliot today. Seems pointless to give much detail since there were only replays of the previous. I had hoped for better - at least one instrument that worked well with it, but that didn't happen. Maybe the next folks on the list will get better results. Sure hope so. It's been fun having a try, anyhow. Thanks, Buc, for the loan, and I'll send the Elliot on its way tomorrow😇

I will certainly have to try a Paige. I have had a bit of resentment towards Paige, in that a friend of mine has one that's solid brass - which I like a lot - with leather wrapped around the bar, but I don't believe they are made anymore.

I bought an Elliot, but still use my Victor. Most of my guitars just sound better with the Victor, maybe because of the bronze weight of the thing. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Regards,

Dave in SLC

I will certainly have to try a Paige. I have had a bit of resentment towards Paige, in that a friend of mine has one that's solid brass - which I like a lot - with leather wrapped around the bar, but I don't believe they are made anymore.

I bought an Elliot, but still use my Victor. Most of my guitars just sound better with the Victor, maybe because of the bronze weight of the thing. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Regards,

Dave in SLC

Here's a few capo's I have for comparison.

I limited the testing to Gibson guitars so hopefully I will not anger the self appointed monitors.:unsure:

Just did a couple test and plan on doing more this weekend.

First tried them with a J45 Legend to see how they handle a thick neck

The Elliot sounded great and worked well up to about the fifth fret. After that the Elliot could not fit around the neck. Guitar stayed in tune

The Shub sounded dead compared to the Elliot and had problems pulling the bass strings out of tune and would not go far up the neck.

The Bennett roller did not fit

The planet waves worked but the ones with the levers on the underside of the neck got in the way. The one with the lever on top was definitely more comfortable, worked all the way up the neck and sounded almost as good as the Elliot. I used the method Tommy Emmanuel showed of pressing the capo down on the strings with the hand and then releasing the lever. Guitar stayed in tune.

Kyser capo had trouble fitting the neck

Based on these I just compared the Elliot to the Planet Waves with the top lever. For the next guitar, J185 New Vintage, 1.75" nut, thinner neck.

I'll check it out on a wider nut and a Vee neck. First impression is the Elliot does have a slight edge on the sound but the Planet Waves is more versatile.

The Elliot sounded great and worked well up to about the seventh fret. After that the Elliot could not fit around the width of the neck. Guitar stayed in tune

The planet waves worked all the way up the neck and sounded almost as good as the Elliot.

C8F1C69C-BC52-494C-B13A-243410679F41_zps2xwrjyyj.jpg

Second stop on the Tour! [thumbup]

How do you find the Elliot in operation, ease of use, etc.? And how does one capo sound better than another? Once applied, any capo design is simply fretting the strings as you would with a bar chord.........the strings are shortened to the fret in question, removing anything north of that fret from the sonic equation, yes? [confused]

I'm guessing it's the material contacting the neck and amount of pressure. I'll do some test by adding a strip of rubber to see if I can tell a difference.

It operates okay but I still prefer the lever action capo. I normally do not use them unless I'm playing with a keyboard and/or horns and then I usually need to be quick about it.

I did a few more comparisons.

Jackson Brown. Modified "V" Profile 1.805" at nut.

The Elliot performed and sounded good. Width of neck prevented capo from going past the fourth fret.

The Shubb barely covered the span. Had to be careful putting it on.

I still preferred the Planet Waves.

1932 L00 Reissue. 30's Vee neck. 1.750 nut

Same results as above.

My conclusions -

The Elliot is well made and not difficult to work with. A wide or thick neck will limit how far up the neck you can take it. Although very hard to detect, I believe it sounds better than the others.

The Planet Waves is still the one I prefer. I will be looking for a steel version and possibly replace the neck pad with leather to duplicate the material of the Elliot.

I will be sending it off to the next member on the list.

Buc,

Thanks for letting me try it out. Let me know if I can return the favor. Maybe you would like to try out the ToneRIte on that Bird.

Thanks for signing up and reporting your impressions! It's informative to have more than one party passing judgement on such things. So for you it functions well and is pretty easy to use despite your preference for spring lever capos..........interesting.

Thanks, Dave, but I'll pass on the ToneRite. Had one some years back and was less than impressed with the results.

So off to the Carolinas now, I believe.............

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to report on my impressions of the Elliot. I just got a Collings C-10 a few days and haven't been able to put it down so that's the guitar I tested on. I actually liked it a lot. I usually only use a capo on the first few frets so never tried it up the neck. It tightened down quickly and sounded good. No rattles and it held the notes true.

I hadn't looked at this thread earlier so never even considered that it might work differently on different guitars so I'll try a few of my older guitars tonight. The C-10 has a pretty beefy C profile and I wonder if that's why it worked better on it than some other guys have reported. My Gibsons have a bit of a thinner profile...maybe I'll get different results on them.

I like the design and look of the Elliot. I usually use a Shubb or a G7 and the Elliot seems to look and feel more unobtrusive than the others. Never tried a Paige before. I do like being able to slide it up over the nut when not using it. I would imagine if I had one of these it would end up dedicated to a particular guitar...and I certainly don't see me spending $1000 so I could put one on each guitar!

In a nutshell, I like it but I don't know if I like it $150 worth. Maybe one will end up on the Collings...a cork-sniffer guitar deserves a cork-sniffer capo! (It would make a nice Christmas present...something I probably wouldn't buy for myself!).

I'll try it tonight and ship it back in a couple days...

Thanks for the trial Buc.

Archived