Gibson Brands Forums

Prices

Torren61

I would like to see Gibson put out a quality Les Paul that's made in the USA by Americans for under $1000. Is that so unrealistic? I don't want a stinking robot guitar or a Les Paul that can sound like a Strat or Tele. I don't want a chambered or weight relieved Les Paul. I want one that has PIO caps and all the other mods already done to it. I haven't bought a new guitar in years because I think the prices are too high and I don't want one made in Asia or Mexico.

Here's another thought for Gibson...start buying up all those old 70's and early 80's LPs and refinish them and re-release them as new vintage guitars

My LP is a '77 Heritage Cherryburst that I refinished. I also changed out the tuners for locking Grovers, added an ebony fingerboard, stainless steel fret wires, pre-ban ivory nut and inlays, had it Plek'd, new Gibson plastic and hardware, SD Page spec HBs and custom wiring. Refinished it Black with nitro lacquer.

I respect your opinion but I disagree. Why can Epiphones be made in China for well under $1000? How much does it cost to ship them here? Those old LPs are run of the mill guitars and don't have that much value unless you're talking about a Custom or some other special LP. In fact, if anything it would increase the value of the remaining 70s LPs

As for my first post, when I go to the pool....I jump in.

I don't know about you but I dont' want some six year old Chinese kid building my guitars.

The ones made in China are so cheap because those people get paid **** all.

How many American workers do you think would remain with Gibson if Gibson paid them minimum wage?

If you want American workers to build your guitar, you have to pay American wages...it's that simple.

Those old LPs don't have much value, you're right. The only reason they cost what they do, and have even appreciated, is because of new sticker prices and the ever so desirable '50s LPs.

You know, in an odd way...I semi agree with you on many of your points. I do think a decent Les Paul can be manufactured here in this country for an affordable price and still be profitable to Gibson. Maybe $1000 was a bit on the low side but $2500 and up is excessive, I think.

A bolt on neck is easier to manufacture and cheaper. Ok, that doesnt explain the huge price difference between a gibson and a strat... but, we have to take one more thing into acount...

Do any of you guys really think the standard american strat is the equivalent of the standard gibson les paul?

I dont. I think its more like a studio. And then you have them at almost the same price...

Yes, 2500 and up is a little too much, not for reissues but for standards and other USA gibsons... I think the standard should be more like 1700... the studio about 1000 (tops) and the VM as it was 2 years ago: 699 including case! But dont think that will happen.

Gibson and Fender don't realize that raising prices in a downed economy is not going to help their bottom line. And that doesn't even get into the arguments on the changing quality of either companies products. And some product offerings are so out of line with what the consumer actually wants. I think a monkey could run these companies better.

Gibson and Fender don't realize that raising prices in a downed economy is not going to help their bottom line. And that doesn't even get into the arguments on the changing quality of either companies products. And some product offerings are so out of line with what the consumer actually wants. I think a monkey could run these companies better.

supply and demand. go to a place like the LPF. everyday people are posting their brand new LPs. obviously gibson is making money. until we stop buying them, the prices wont come down.

more importantly, the used market is totally a buyer's market. i wouldnt buy a new gibson today- definitely go used and save a ton of cash.

What do you mean' date=' the are not run by monkeys???

(I thought they were) =D>

I would rather pay more and get the quality that I know and expect from Fender or Gibson. I saw a video on the making of an LP, and the guy that cuts the necks has been with the company for over 20 years. Why would I want Gibson to fire him and hire some illegal immigrant to save some $$? These are hand made instuments by professionals that have been doing it for years. They are worth the money. If you cant pay $1000 for a guitar, than get a better job, or buy a cheaper guitar. There are 100s companies that make decent quality guitars for under a grand, so stop your *****ing, and make a decision based on your budget.

I would rather pay more and get the quality that I know and expect from Fender or Gibson. I saw a video on the making of an LP' date=' and the guy that cuts the necks has been with the company for over 20 years. Why would I want Gibson to fire him and hire some illegal immigrant to save some $$? These are hand made instuments by professionals that have been doing it for years. They are worth the money. If you cant pay $1000 for a guitar, than get a better job, or buy a cheaper guitar. There are 100s companies that make decent quality guitars for under a grand, so stop your *****ing, and make a decision based on your budget. [/quote']

=P~

+ a f-ckin' million man...

I am tired of people whining about gibson prices... (and fender too). Lots of guitar makers out there to chose from.

Archived