Gibson Brands Forums

BedRock amps, anyone?

Guitar God

So, I was at a music store today and seen this BedRock head in. It's 50 watts. First time I have ever seen one and played one before, since I have never heard of them. The owner of the store thinks it's from the '80's. Has a Marshall vibe to it. Sounds decent. Curious if anybody on here knows anything about these amps. Never heard of them until today, so I don't know a single thing about this brand. Here is a picture. Oh, and the cab it is sitting on in this picture is a Yorkville.

YyEHIn0.jpg

Yes, that was me.

I actually worked at a bedrock dealer back in the day.

Bedrock often gets credited as "boutique before there was boutique". They were originally built in New Hampshire, and eventually moved production to Massachusetts. The earlier ones were all hand wired, the later ones had boards.

Some of the people involved were Jay Abend (I think that was his last name), who I believe started Guitarfetish in later years. Brad Jetter was involved who now has Jetter Gear pedals, and I believe Evan Cantor(?) who I believe has some input in the new MGL amps.

They had many models, most of which were kind of "hot rodded" versions of classic amps. They (in my opinion) sounded great. I know they ran very high tube plate voltages which led to concerns about reliability, but I honestly never saw any issues. You want a good amp tech if you need work done as they are kind of their own animal.

Back in the day, they had one sent to a guitar magazine that died during their review and that hurt them considerably. I know aerosmith and earl slick endorsed them back in the day. If memory serves, Joe Perry still uses one for lap steel. I think George Thorogood used one on some recordings and even Muddy Waters if I remember.

They are built like tanks. Most were available with either stock bedrock speakers or Fanes.

If you find one that has not been modded by a hacker, they are great amps.

I believe the one pictured above is a 1400 series which were the high gain rocker of the day. I had one and still regret letting it go.

I recently picked up a 1200 which is kind of the one they are known for. In fact, Brad Jetter now does a BR1200 pedal based off the sound of this amp.

bedrock2_zpsdbtthplu.jpg

NHTom

Good stuff Tom! Mr. Perry no longer has any Bedrocks, not for a long time now.

rct

Thanks, wasn't sure. Heard it mentioned in a rig rundown a while back.

The one I bought "supposedly" belonged to Tom Hamilton.........but I'm not holding my breath. Came from the right town and has a few tell tale marks that lead me to believe it's true, but no real proof.

NHTom

The one I bought "supposedly" belonged to Tom Hamilton.........but I'm not holding my breath. Came from the right town and has a few tell tale marks that lead me to believe it's true, but no real proof.

Not hard to believe though, those guys all stayed close to home to this day.

rct

Not hard to believe though, those guys all stayed close to home to this day.

rct

Exactly. Didn't influence my purchase either way as I've always wanted a 1200 combo, and never thought I'd find one in tweed. But it gives it a cool conversation piece.......lol.

NHTom

Exactly. Didn't influence my purchase either way as I've always wanted a 1200 combo, and never thought I'd find one in tweed. But it gives it a cool conversation piece.......lol.

NHTom

Nice! I have a bottle of Joes hot sauce from his very first run of them. Pick and autograph and all that. You got it by calling a phone number and leaving a message to have it sent to your home. I called at about 10.30 one night and it was no answering machine, it was Joe. It was a good hour on the phone! We share a favorite restaurant in Boston and have both been there at the same time! Aside from that minor brush with him, still one of my favorite bands from then. We do Sweet Emotion now, that's the only one of theirs any more, I look forward to it.

rct

Archived