Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton - The Lost Polydor Tapes 1974

Rabs

How does he get that sound?

Magic pixie dust?? :)

Maybe you just need to be off your head on various substances?? Seems to work for some :unsure:

Or maybe we all just need to practice more... ;)

Delicious! Straight off the board for 461 Ocean. At 33:someting on the first one, Mainline Florida with George singing, I always heard he sang that one but the put Erics vocal on at the last minute. He would sing a verse live at that time too, I remember them opening with that and George Terry singing the first verse. Let It Grow is just great, but I don't think the one that made it to the record. I like this one better!

Second one is his first solo record. Great stuff, him and them Oklahoma fellers that became The Dominos.

Awesome Rabs, Thank you very much for that.

rct

Great! thanks for posting Rabs,

How does he get that sound?

Lots of it is strat with three way switch and the switch stuck between back and middle. We used matches, all kindsa stuff to hold it there. It doesn't sound the same as that position on a 5 way, which is why guys like me are all angry about 5 ways and stuff. So he did that a lot and he played through any number of Fenders pretty much dimed and facing away from the room. The second one is his Showmans and Dual Professional days, he used those amps into the Layla days. Dowd said they had virtually every amp from Fender in the room and he just plugged into one and turned it up. The first one is getting closer to Music Man, and may be some of them on that record, but definitely craploads of any Fender they could find, turned up, blown speakers and all.

rct

Since I saw Clapton a couple times in concert during this period, it got me on the Google trail, especially the mention of George Terry. Here's an interview I found from that same era:

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs-200-eric-clapton/

A powerful band. EC Was Here is one of thee best records ever made, I listen to it once a month still. George and Carl Radle, the ladies, man, what a band, what a front man. Some of my favoritest musical moments were those middle 70s EC concerts. George Terry standing out on the edge of the stage right, and it's dark except a light on him. Took everyone by surprise, the opener had just finished and I can't remember who it was, maybe Jon Martyn. Anyway, it's George! He starts that dang ear bug riff for Motherless Children, and the band starts coming in one at a time. So they've gone through the riff what, a dozen times or so and the lights are coming up and they all land on the big D and hold it right, and the keys are just swirling that Leslie and every damn thing up there is feeding back and out strolls EC and they all land on the 1 and he is playing slide and you couldn't hear the entire first time around the place just blew up.

Good times.

rct

I saw that band at least 3 times - Hammersmith, where he called out the key changes, the track is on "E.C Was Here".

Crystal Palace which ended up with 5 guitarists on stage - Larry Coryell, Freddie King, Ron Wood, Clapton and Terry....and Blackbushe.

One of Clapton's finest lineups. Always got the strong impression that George Terry could give EC a good run for his money.

I saw that band at least 3 times - Hammersmith, where he called out the key changes, the track is on "E.C Was Here".

Ramblin On My Mind. Sometimes we get out that one and Further On Up The Road. I call out the key changes cause I'm...something, like that.

rct

Archived