Gibson Brands Forums

Mike and Sal Unplugged Demo

MorrisrownSal

Haven't listened to this one yet sal

Heard the everybody's talkin which was excellent .

Bucs capo with different chord positions is something I've done for years and does indeed work well. Just don't look at the other guys hands while you're playing ! 😄 Can be awkward

Would be great to sit and watch you two guys with a beer or two

Wi me tin eers

Good idea, Sal. Good way to help market yourself. A decent CD or DVD is always a good thing to have with you when you approach the owner/manager. Buc's ideas sound correct and his knowledge and experience with multiple instruments all interacting is far greater than mine, so I appreciate folks like him offering their opinions. Without someone giving a valid critique, we don't know. The noisiest place I play is "Jumpin' Catfish," a family place and people listen a lot. Plus, I play solo, so nothing clashes, aside from my voice and guitar....... The guitars do seem to clash with each other. The owner of a noisy bar might not care or notice, because that's what music sounds like in his place, but at a nice restaurant where it's more quiet and people are more likely to actually listen to the songs, I think the sound needs to be more clear and separated. More music, less noise. Looks like you guys are having fun. Keep doing it............. [thumbup]

This is good Sal, and yes, an excellent tool for showcasing your repotoire and skills for promo / gig purposes.

One piece of advice I would share from personal experience is to consider making it shorter, no more than 3-4 mins. I find human nature is that people, even those interested in booking you will rarely go past the first 2 mins. Use those two minutes to choose the tracks that show you in the best possible light and what makes you distinct and maybe different from all the others.

This is good Sal, and yes, an excellent tool for showcasing your repotoire and skills for promo / gig purposes.

One piece of advice I would share from personal experience is to consider making it shorter, no more than 3-4 mins. I find human nature is that people, even those interested in booking you will rarely go past the first 2 mins. Use those two minutes to choose the tracks that show you in the best possible light and what makes you distinct and maybe different from all the others.

That's only because people can't listen to you for more than two minutes 😂😂😂

Gee Sal, I hope you didn't read my capo suggestion as a criticism..........rather a suggestion. And Mark's thought on length is a good one. Folks have short attention spans, busy folks even shorter. A short & sweet hard hitter of your best stuff is more likely to get the kind of attention you want. A selected set list delivered along with it will let them quickly scan your repertoire.

I sure hope I can get hooked up with another singer/player like this and do some gigs. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Those nights when players are hitting on all cylinders as a unit are musical magic!

I like it Sal, but I do agree that the video is too long. I also think that Buc's idea to use capos for different voicings is spot on. I would also suggest that each player use a different strumming or picking pattern on the songs so that the sound will not be too homogenized.

What's important is that you two already have a good sound together. The rest is just tweaking. [thumbup]

Great stuff gents. How about this. There are twelve snippets here. Can you pick the five you would include? I'll also tweak the songs for live performing after this video so we are l as homogeneous.

You know what they say about opinions...but here are my choices:

Nobody Knows You

Out My Back Door

Facedown

Everybody's Talkin'

Melissa

The new addition, sans paint? Fun for the "you want natural reverb, I'll give you natural reverb" response. Some close mic'ing would be good if you wanted to shop it around, though.

The "pick five" request almost got missed. . maybe you could turn it into a poll up top by going to the "use full editor" button on the edit page. My faves would be the ones that would engage the crowd, like;

-the Credence tune

-Wild Ho's (maybe brought down off plane just a tad; somewhere betw your tempo & that of

version

-Tequila Snrise (most important to get a crowd read on if they were ready to switch gears & mellow out)

-Melissa (but doing the song the same way as the original personally triggers an episode of song a.d.d. {sadd}; maybe a more up-tempo newgrass/bleugrass, as you'd done in W. Horses)

1478385655[/url]' post='1810453']

Cool. So much for the in-law suite; they can have the rest of the house . . . that's the new music room- we'll all be over to christen the place ; ).

MIL ...built her a first floor bedroom with bath... where the old family room was. This is the new family room connected to the kitchen. I wish it were a music room. Still got my small office, though... right sized for me. I'll need it to escape.

Archived