Gibson Brands Forums

New pickguard for my J-150!

EuroAussie

So I ordered a vintage style J-200 guard for the very faded and tacky looking J-150 guard which i really wanted to replace. I like fading guards like on the Bird' but this was almost all gone.

I ordered the guard from a guy who creates custom guitars and also handmade, old school guards for J-200's and Hummingbirds. The guard finally arrived on Friday and i started going through vids on how to remove a pickguard, but could not find one for a Gibson guard replacement and removal.

So I did it myself and also created a running 'instruction' guide how to do it based on what i read and saw while preparing and my personal experience.

First two shots are the before and after. I have to say I absolutely love the new guard, the colouring, and tone suits the natural blonde J-150 perfectly and it feels like a 50's J-200 guard in terms of the materials used and overal quality.

So, here, first before and after:

IMG_0432_zpsopg34ylh.jpg

After:

IMG_0444_zpscjujmcpk.jpg

AND HERE ARE THE STEPS I TOOK: for anybody that will want to do in the future replace or remove their pickguard.

Step 1: Get your hairdryer and put it on the lowest setting, then just blow warm air over the guard to loosen up the glue, approximately 2 mins. Then you need to find ideally a birdge / fingerboard removal knife that you can slide under the guard. Since I didnt have one i used one of these cheese scrapers much to Mrs EA's dismay. (we never use them anyway)

IMG_0430_zps1slzclsy.jpg

It went easily and you just push away gently, with patience until you slowly remove the whole guard

IMG_0433_zpsc1s8wibb.jpg

You are then left without a pickguard but lots of residue glue.

IMG_0434_zpskvdxvekw.jpg

STEP 2: removing the residual glue.

It was recommended to use Naptha to break down the glue and remove it. I bought some Zippo lighter fluid and put it initially on a cloth and started rubbing. It wasnt effective. Then i went much more aggressive and soaked the glue with naptha, that was much, much more effective.I then started rubbing in circles with the cloth and the glue started coming off.

IMG_0436_zpsbkanp0s6.jpg

When the glue became quite soft i started useing the scraper to take larger chunks off, but you have to be careful that you scrape with the grain of the spruce, not against it or you might dig in and cause some damage to the spruce top.

IMG_0437_zpsmanewlea.jpg

Finally I poured more naptha and then with a cloth cleaned all remaning glue. Then I dried and cleaned the top with Big Bends Gloss sauce to be ready to apply the new guard.

IMG_0440_zpsmkokksvb.jpg

STEP 3: slowly apply the new guard, taking off the plastic and applying the guard with glued bottom slowly and accurately to where it should be, and here is the final result close up:

IMG_0442_zpsxbszkmes.jpg

And then back to its resting place, two of the worlds most beautiful pickguards.

IMG_0445_zpspyn1mziw.jpg

Naturally the tone improved straight away ... ! [biggrin]

If you have any other questions dont hesitate to shout out. It was a lot easier than i expected even though i had some reservations.

cheers,

EA

Great job. That pickguard is truly gorgeous. Who is the guy who made it?

i thought that question might come up. Actually I came across this chap on an earlier thread and followed up with him. He is actually based in Crete, Greece (we go vacation there every year) and here is a link to their website.

They make Hummingbird and J-200 copies and also custom, hand made pickguards that are designed to last.

Cost of the guard was 140 euro, which i was more than happy to hand over, especially to help a quality Greek business to get the country back on its feet.

http://www.mv-customguitars.com/product/sj200-vintage-style-tortoise-pickguard-gold/

Also, very good customer service, highly responsive and helpful.

That pickguard is beautiful, and just what a non-'200 needs to provide some detail to the large top of a super jumbo; the definition in the patterns (crisp edge in the light-to-dark areas) of the tort-style guard is as good as any seen in 1930's firestripe 'guards- something most aftermarket replacements seem to be unable to capture. BUT- That is one helluva tool selection. . . did you not remember the dental floss technique so many here have had great luck using in conjunction with naphtha and "the capo trick" (capo just down from the nut to keep strings wound on tuners after tuning down & removing strings at the bridge)? However, the way you'd done it would've allowed for a quick a/b guard/non-'guard comparisement. How does the thickness compare, old to new?

As opposed to teardrop guards on J-45's, locating the new 'guard for you a little more straightforward with the tan line, and how the big guards like these, the 'Birds, and the Batwing guards used on some J-45's butt up against the fretboard extension. Did you use the 3M Adhesive Sheets to attach the guard?

So- what do you mean by "vintage-style" pickguard? Finish on top? Are those stylized "berries" (dots) in the design inlaid MOP? Looks great.

I'm sure it sounds better now. . . the top got darker, and the rug, too ; ) !

When you were ready to place the the guard on, did you build a tape "hinge" to assist?

My belief is that most lighter fluid either does not contain Naptha at all, or too little. I have a can of Naptha that I purchased for about $5 US. I has latsed me 15 years, and looks like it would last two lifetimes. I believe Naptha is not legally sold in California.

Have thought about doing a repositioning of my J-45 TV guard, so it doesn't cover the rosette but am very reluctant, I almost always mess up stuff like that. I once super glued a fish hook to my hand...

I think your new guard looks A-1. [thumbup]

Welll ... using a cheese slicer is the not the 'optiumum' tool, for sure, and my wife would agree with you wholeheartedly. But it did a remarkably effective job, especially in scraping away the soft glue. I just had to be very slow, careful and follow the grain, but no damage was done.

The guard material is softer for sure .... and ..... I do believe there is a difference it tone. It sounds richer, a bit warmer .... or maybe a good way to describe it, the tone seems to 'breathe' a bit more. But i could be delusional and sill in my new pickguard haze. But i think there is an improvement, or at least a difference in the tone.

Yes, it did have the 3M advesive sheets on the back, exactly that.

Vintage is because they used the SJ-200 guards from that era as the referance point, they seem to have a bit more detail on them than the modern equivalent.

That pickguard is beautiful, and just what a non-'200 needs to provide some detail to the large top of a super jumbo; the definition in the patterns (crisp edge in the light-to-dark areas) of the tort-style guard is as good as any seen in 1930's style 'guards- something most aftermarket replacement guards seem to be unable to capture. BUT- That is one helluva tool selection. . . did you not remember the dental floss technique so many here have had great luck using in conjunction with naphtha and "the capo trick" (capo just down from the nut to keep strings wound on tuners after tuning down & removing strings at the bridge)? However, the way you'd done it would've allowed for a quick a/b guard/non-'guard comparisement. How does the thickness compare, old to new?

As opposed to teardrop guards on J-45's, locating the new 'guard for you a little more straightforward with the tan line, and how the big guards like these, the 'Birds, and the Batwing guards used on some J-45's butt up against the fretboard extension. Did you use the 3M Adhesive Sheets to attach the guard?

So- what do you mean by "vintage-style" pickguard? Finish on top? Are those stylized "berries" (dots) in the design inlaid MOP? Looks great.

I'm sure it sounds better now. . . the top got darker, and the rug, too ; ) !

When you were ready to place the the guard on, did you build a tape "hinge" to assist?

Dan, I took the adhesive tape off that was on the back. Then i simple aligned the top, sort of making it stand ... then when i felt it was in the right place i took a deep breath and slowly placed it down.

Very relevant post for me - I removed my Bird guard about 10 days ago.

Went through the same process, but used a plastic-card and floss soaked in the right amounts of lighter-fuel w. naptha from step 1.

After you, EA, recommended the Greek luthier M. Verdakis, I finally made the move, , , and continue to have an interesting dialogue with the good man. It's been running for quite some time now and is about acoustic topics in general.

Could be interesting to hear some with/without-thoughts from you - the brain behind the theory that the plast plays a part in the Bird-honey.

I find that to be right and will return to the theme when my experiment is cleared.

And wow, , , the new guard, the whole guitar looks second to none - what a lift.

Did a quick recording so you can see it 'live' or at least through some video. I do believe there is a difference to the tone, it seems more complex now, or as i wrote earlier, it seems to 'breather' more now. Either way Im really happy with hot it looks and how it sounds.

Here's some fingerpicking for you to get a sample. No vocals to keep Hogeye calm ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqic8_kR9fs&feature=youtu.be

I made a silly mistake in my haste to put the new guard on and forgot to see what it sounded with any guard ! Silly me ....

Very relevant post for me - I removed my Bird guard about 10 days ago.

Went through the same process, but used a plastic-card and floss soaked in the right amounts of lighter-fuel w. naptha from step 1.

After you, EA, recomended the Greek luthier M. Verdakis, I finally made the move, , , and continue to have an interesting dialogue with the good man. It's been running for quite some time now and is about acoustic topics in general.

Could be interesting to hear some with/without-thoughts from you - the brain behind the theory that the plast plays a part in the Bird-honey.

I find that to be right and will return to the theme when my experiment is cleared.

And wow, , , the new guard, the whole guitar looks second to none - what a lift.

I made a silly mistake in my haste to put the new guard on and forgot to see what it sounded with any guard ! Silly me ....

He he, , , yea, that was an opportunity, but one can get excited during these maneuvers.

I'll sett up a thread when the time is right. The topic is still under observation.

Enjoy your new flora

If you need to do it again i find that a piece of dental floss is a good way to lift up the edge after warming it up - from there you can usually use your fingers or continue using the detail floss.

Great guard on a great looking guitar.

Enough already. NO one here should ever take any kind of floor scraper to the top of any Gibson. This is the most irresponsible thing I have ever seen posted on this forum.

It's one thing for one tone deaf poster to give advice to another tone deaf poster but when he goes on the Gibson forum and posts pictures of removing a Gibson pickguard with a floor scraper that's a whole different ballgame. What's even worse is that there are actually folks here that know better but say nothing.

Where is customer service? Where are the Moderators? There may be folks here that will actually try such a stunt. Good grief. What is wrong with you people.

If that isn't bad enough the poster actually goes on Gibson's forum and advocates for a bootlegger that is stealing Gibson's designs and selling them on Gibson's web-site under their noses.

Well mods it's now up to you to explain this post.... Customer Service? Is this an authorized repair procedure? Do you folks approve?

This forum is now a joke. Martin posters advocating for Martin? Tone deaf posters calling for me to be banned? One man posting how to remove a pickguard with a metal scraper? I can't imagine what could possibly be next.

... What's even worse is that there are actually folks here that know better but say nothing. ...

Geez . . . . another needlessly insulting rant.

I'll just say that replacing a pickguard isn't going to void a warranty (IF one is intact - Europe/original owner), regardless of the procedure used, as long as it did not result in damage to the guitar.

This is the official Gibson/ Montana forum. What happens when a person comes here for help with his lifting pickguard and he sees this? What happens when he sees a cheese slicer being used to take a pickguard off and he sees it on the official Gibson site?

I don't expect Buc to know any better but really Kahune? Is this the kind of information you expect to see on a Gibson Forum? is this really how you want people to take a pickguard off a Gibson guitar?

I understand the resentment you have for the truth but this is just wrong. This forum used to be about truth and honesty and the dissemination of real information. Not this insanity.

This forum used to be about truth and honesty and the dissemination of real information.

Being a veteran of this forum before your days here, sir, when was this forum the fountain of truth and honesty you so sorely miss, that it is not today? Who are these missing contributors that were the oracles of truth in all things Gibson and guitar? +:-@

Apparently you are quite disappointed in the current membership and what they choose to share here. Well, sir, we sincerely feel your pain and our hearts are heavy with having let you down. We are obviously not of your caliber and you are slumming here, beneath your class. Given that, we can but hope that you will forgive us our shortcomings as you leave the building in a twist. G'bye. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

There's a fair bit of information in Aussies post that I see as useful

Yes , he used a cheese slicer , which isn't perfect , but he's shown that it's not a job to be scared of doing

Point being that if a man can do it in his back bedroom with a cheeseslicer then there ya go . And even if someone is completely deaf it wouldn't effect the ability to change a pickguard.

If you're scared of doing anything like that then don't touch it

The point about the aftermarket guards has its place , but I'm not sure about how serious all that is really.

And if you live up the street from the factory and are best buddies with everyone who works there then it would be relatively easy to get a legit guard. Try living in Europe and sourcing things like that .. not so straightforward

Aside from all this and any other point , the forum is a place for dicussion.

1478470305[/url]' post='1810599']

What is wrong with you people.

This forum is now a joke. Martin posters advocating for Martin? Tone deaf posters calling for me to be banned? One man posting how to remove a pickguard with a metal scraper? I can't imagine what could possibly be next.

Hogeye your recreational outrage is humorous at the very least.

Would it carry more weight if the tone deaf poster calling for you to be banned had perfect pitch? How do you feel about Pete Townsend and his ledgendary abuse of his Gibson's? Oh that's right his pitch is perfect so he's allowed.

If you can only play cowboy chords and sing off key should your membership to the Gibson forum should be revoked? Maybe there should be intensive and thorough testing required before being granted the privilege of membership to the forum or ownership of a Gibson guitar?

I'm sure customer service would love it if more people used cheese chisels or jack hammers to remove their pickguards so why make it your mission to save the world from itself? I agree EA's choice of tools is like using a set of vice grips to remove the lug nuts while changing a tire but at the end of the day "WHO CARES?"

Isn't there more important things going on in your part of the world that you could direct your energy towards to make a positive change in something that really matters?

Your self inflated ego and arrogant behaviour is all too common not only in America but in the world today. Even though you may have knowledge and expertise that most don't have it doesn't give you a higher ranking in the human race. Unless of course you also have perfect pitch then all bets are off.

I would suggest to let it rest.

Bottom line the pickguard was applied successfully with no damage or any issues. Hogeye is entitled to his opinion, he is as he is, Id rather strum my beautiful super jumbo rather than continue in this fruitless game of his.

Thanks again to all that took a look and commented, including Hogeye.

Hogeye your recreational outrage is humorous at the very least.

Would it carry more weight if the tone deaf poster calling for you to be banned had perfect pitch? How do you feel about Pete Townsend and his ledgendary abuse of his Gibson's? Oh that's right his pitch is perfect so he's allowed.

If you can only play cowboy chords and sing off key should your membership to the Gibson forum should be revoked? Maybe there should be intensive and thorough testing required before being granted the privilege of membership to the forum or ownership of a Gibson guitar?

I'm sure customer service would love it if more people used cheese chisels or jack hammers to remove their pickguards so why make it your mission to save the world from itself? I agree EA's choice of tools is like using a set of vice grips to remove the lug nuts while changing a tire but at the end of the day "WHO CARES?"

Isn't there more important things going on in your part of the world that you could direct your energy towards to make a positive change in something that really matters?

Your self inflated ego and arrogant behaviour is all too common not only in America but in the world today. Even though you may have knowledge and expertise that most don't have it doesn't give you a higher ranking in the human race. Unless of course you also have perfect pitch then all bets are off.

Archived